Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 12th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007

this is very dissapointing for the people who planned on getting married in these two ports i hope ncl condsiders that there are alot of people who choose the cruise by the ports they visit my question to ncl is if you have engine problems why is the ship still going out.......isnt this dangerous or are they just trying to save some money by skipping a couple of ports like acapulco and ixtapa......two ports to me that shouldnt have been missed......sorry to hear that someone has a different oppinion of acapulco but to me it is was of the most beautiful ports in the world......yes it has growen but it is still beautiful and ixtapa aswell.....hopefuly ncl will do something about this and quick......and about the 100 credit that is a insult.........sorry for speaking my mind here but i just and to do it.....have a great trip everyone .......
Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Beginner

NCL is not putting anyone at risk by having one of their engines broken, etc. They are just going a little slower than normal and therefore shorten the itineraries, miss ports, change ports etc.

The issue is that once the engines are unexpectedly problematic, they do nothing to assist those already booked except to give an onboard credit of the port fees alone. They do not communicate until the last minute, and definitely not until passengers are in a major penalty period for cancellation. Then, they do not change the itinerary for future cruises and/or notify the public of the problems. They just keep selling the same itinerary and then cite their legal baloney which allows them to take your money and sail wherever. And - it's not about the legality of what they are doing, it is about being upfront, communicative, and sincere in what you do and say for the sake of taking people's hard-earned money.

Yes, the"whole cruise experience" is important. It is a package deal, and if NCL sailed to the greatest ports in the world and had bad service, food and entertainment onboard, that would be a problem. However, the statements made over and over about no concern over ports is a load of bull that a dunce can see through. If it was not about the ports, give me a call. I'll book your cruise to your favorite exotic ports, take your money and sail in a circle around the Gulf of Mexico. Give me a break.

And - if NCL knows full well that they can not make certain ports (and in these instances, they DO), it should be immediately communicated, easy to access (web-posted), and sales communication should be such that the itinerary they are going to sail is the one they sell. As it is, they just continue to sell and sell and sell the same itinerary. Why - the bird can't fly! It has a broken wing! Then, no communication is available and folks find out at the last minute that the cruise they were sold could NEVER have been sailed! Unless they are internet capable - and that would be the minority of folks - they have no idea what's going on.
Old December 12th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Leena, I only read 2 websites BTW and I read every mass marketed site on both. None of us have any solutions for most of the problems the cruise lines have. We don't run the lines, we do not have the infomation they have and we all are giving our own opinions. That is what makes these boards so interesting. BTW, what other websites have I been on, or what others should I be on? Just curious. Relax and enjoy life; a positive attitude goes a lot farther than a negative one. Happy sailing.
Old December 12th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Leena, I only read 2 websites BTW and I read every mass marketed site on both. None of us have any solutions for most of the problems the cruise lines have. We don't run the lines, we do not have the infomation they have and we all are giving our own opinions. That is what makes these boards so interesting. BTW, what other websites have I been on, or what others should I be on? Just curious. Relax and enjoy life; a positive attitude goes a lot farther than a negative one. Happy sailing.
You are correct. You usually have no solution except to accuse those who voice a valid concern that they are negative, as you have just once again done. My post was not negative, nor were any of the other posters you consistently attack with what you correctly state as nothing more than an opinion. In fact, they simply expressed displeasure over what has happened and informed readers of their experiences at the same time - the sole purpose of these boards.

While I am stepping in toe-to-toe with you, I am frankly tired of seeing you posted all over the place flaming folks - every time - for posting their concerns and dislikes. Recently a lady stated that she did not like the kid's program on NCL and you told her to go look at it from the kid's eyes. Understandable, but I am more concerned with what the mom has to say and experience than what her two-year old might post for us. The two-year old may be crying while involved in the best program there is and now you would say that that the two-year old should not be the one by which we judge the quality of the program. Can't have it both ways. Mom's opinion and experience is the one that counts.

And on and on and on.

Want to know where NMNita has posted and what she has to say? (Since she doesn't know where she's been...) There is so much out there that all you have to do is do a google search on "NMNita".

Nita, people don't want nor need you to attack them for communicating a bad experience and informing others about it. I commend those who do, with a heart for helping others to not fall into the same situation they did and therefore miss the bad stuff. You consistently tell folks that any problems they experience are self-made and will go away if they just smile. Insane.

Nuff said. It'll fall on dead soil. Ignore list.
Old December 12th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Admiral

I guess I am missing something here: I can't remember attacking you or saying you said anything negative cause you really didn't. Again, I do post on the this and one other site, but no others. I didn't knock the lady who said she didn't like the kids club, I actually said, as a parent I can remember when my kids were little and I would decide what they liked rather than let them decide. Of course I am para phrasing, those were not my words, but that was what I said. I have an idea you may not be very new to the boards and are going way back to something that may have happened a long time ago. I could be wrong which I often am. Golly if you are tired of my opinions fine, you don't have to read them. I won't know if you do or don't nor does it really bother me. You don't have to read much of my views for a few weeks, we are off to watch our granddaughter get married on Celebrity. We leave tomorrow and won't be back til the end of the month. BTW, I didn't even blast anyone who said they were disappointed about the ports. I was simply trying to make a point. Missing Acapulco isn't the end of the world. I also added having weddings plans interupted is a major disappointment, but for others the entire experience is more important than a port. For those of us who have cruised several times, we have missed many ports and never had it ruin our vacation. NMnita
Old December 12th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Familiar Face

Default Hmmmm....

Wow,

How can anyone think that NCL wanted this type of problem that has an effect on thousands of passengers? I can assure you that they did not plan it just to give them something to do in their spare time. NCL is not the only line out there with ships with Azipods, nor is it the only line that has had problems with this technology.

Life happens, and sadly, it does impact the plans of many passengers who are already committed to the trip. Those that are booked far enough out have more control than the ones sailing over the next few weeks. Go on the trip, have a great time on a great ship with an outstanding Crew! (I sailed it in October last year and again in April of this year)

As far as the allegation that NCL is still selling the old schedule and not notifying the customers, the poster should check NCL.com. On the 1st page ther is a link that is in Yellow that says "Attention: Norwegian Star Passengers." Clicking on the link takes you to the Press release that explains the problem and details the new schedule.

If you click on the "Mexican Riveria" in the destinations section and then click on the "Itineraries" link, one will find that all the information regarding the trip reflects the new shedule.

All readers should keep in mind that only passengers that booked directly with NCL will be notified by NCL. If one books with a Travel Agency, NCL notifies the TA who should then notify the passenger. Sadly many of the HUGE internet based agencies don't seem to have the staff, ablility, or desire to keep up with these issues and thus fail to provide the service that many people expect. Sadly this ends up reflecting badly on NCL (or Carnival, RCCL, Celebrity, etc.)

And no, I don't work for NCL, but I do work for an airline. And yes we do control the weather, and every so often we create a snow storm, thunderstorm or hurricane just to inconvenience the travelling public and add some excitement to our otherwise mundane existance!
Old December 12th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Hi Nita,

"Leena Wayback"? Hmmmmm?

I happen to enjoy your posts on both boards. I've never seen you attack anyone, just give your opinion as a cruiser, a TA, and a person with common sense .

I would NEVER plan anything very important (a wedding, meeting friends, a business meeting) in a port on a cruise.

I agree that no cruise line tries to "deceive" their customers. On our next cruise the home port was changed and the itinerary was changed. It took a while for us to get this information. Life happens and we're going to have a good time, anyway!

(Putting on my flameproof suit now )

Have a wonderful vacation

Inspiration2002CarnivalElation2004
GrandPrincess2004NCLSun2005
SunPrincess2006NCLDream2007
CaribbeanPrincess2007NCLDawn2008
IslandPrincess2008IslandPrincess2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Carnival Magic 2015 Coral Princess 2015
Old December 12th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

When it comes to an itinerary change everyone has the valid right to be disappointed. Cruise lines do not want itinerary changes and those changes do cost them money in shore excursion revenue, possible credits and lost bookings. However, the passenger contract does give them an "out" in that they can change the itinerary for just about any reason and the passenger has little or no recourse or compensation available to them if it does happen.

Itineraries DO change for many reasons; Weather, mechanical problems, labor strikes, contractual problems, etc. Because of this you should NEVER plan an extremely important event such as a wedding in a port of call. There are too many reasons why the ship may not be there on time or not at all to let an important day be ruined by something completely out of your control.

I am sorry that the itinerary has changed. I was on pins and needles when I thought that Glacier Bay was going to be scrapped from our Alaska cruise. It was the main reason we booked the Star but if we didn't do it then we would have had to take what was offered and hope that the compensation was nice and mark it down as one of those things. It may have influenced future cruise decisions. (It was a mechanical problem) Nothing speaks louder than the wallet.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 13th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Beginner

My family has cruised with Norwegian 4 times. This will be our fifth cruise with thm out of LA on Norwegian Star. Being in transportation business myself, I understand things happen. The difference is that how you handle the problem after it occurs. I would say I was more disspointed at the way Norwegian handled this whole Norwegian Star mechanical problem than the mere fact we are skipping port.

When I called the cruise line, one of their reservation supervisor (Angel Nozario) told me to go look at the passenger contract. Not a very nice thing to say! The cruiseline's $100/cabin compensation is more an insult than comfort. Gees! for not able to take you where we sold you to, we will give you 5% of your cruise price as cabin credits! I don't know if I should be feeling more embarrassed for the cruiseline or just be furious.

The booming crusing business definitely makes Norwegian feel that it is more important to save money, taking in revenue than the risk of upsetting passengers, some of us their best passengers. Such shortsightness is just sad. It is true that there will always be other passengers willing to take a chance until they run into a wall like we do. But if Norwegian always acts like a third class cruise line, it will always be a third class cruise line.

We really never thought of taking our business elsewhere until this whole farce happened. We truly enjoyed all our previous cruises. But now I start to wonder why I should give Norwegian my money in the future.
Old December 15th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Beginner

Quote:
I didn't knock the lady who said she didn't like the kids club, I actually said, as a parent I can remember when my kids were little and I would decide what they liked rather than let them decide. Of course I am para phrasing, those were not my words, but that was what I said.
No, Here's what you said (not paraphrasing): Isn't the most important thing, he enjoyed it, not whether you were disappointed in it. I don't mean this to be a negative comment about your experience, I just think back to when my kids were little and how often we judge something the way we see it, not the way they do. NMNita

The important thing IS the way mom sees it, NOT the two year-old... For example: If junior did not enjoy it, and cried the whole time, that does not mean the program was less than the best in the whole world. We look to Mom for her view.

Quote:
I have an idea you may not be very new to the boards.
I am new, but the point is...?

Quote:
...and are going way back to something that may have happened a long time ago.
The post I referred to is dated Dec 10.

Quote:
BTW, I didn't even blast anyone who said they were disappointed about the ports. I was simply trying to make a point.
You said, "...but missing one port and having it replaced with another really shouldn't be reason to go into orbit."

Your accusation that this poster "went into orbit" is a blast and is incorrect. (You also told her that she was acting as if this was "the end of the world".) The poster only stated being disappointed and was considering cancelling and re-booking, but wanted information about the alternate ports of call. While you did tell her that Acapulco was not a big concern to miss, you offered no information on the other ports and told her that her comments were exaggerated (in "orbit" and "the end of the world"). The poster was very wise to request information about the other ports before deciding what to do. Where better to gain such information than from boards such as this, to access info. from experienced cruisers and TAs.

Quote:
I also added having weddings plans interupted is a major disappointment, but for others the entire experience is more important than a port. For those of us who have cruised several times, we have missed many ports and never had it ruin our vacation. NMnita
That was good. All the other stuff was not necessary, Nita. You consistently do this to folks who post concerns, problems, irritation, or hurts.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/i]note to the host: I will not post nor respond regarding this again, as the boards are for information posting so that all can gain knowledge and experience from others. I am just SO tired of seeing this kinda junk happen so much, over and over, from a group of self-appointed experts. Thank you for keeping this thread viewable.[/i]