Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 28th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Passenger

Default Parking at NYC for NCl Dawn

I live about 45 minutes from the city and never drive in anymore. I have read that parking costs $27 per day at the port. Does anyone have any information or suggestions on either alternative transportation from Woodbridge NJ for 5 people (Maybe a van service perhaps that they recommend) or anyone have any parking tips near the ship??

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Passenger

Find someone with a big enough vehicle and offer to pay them a fair wage for their gas/time. It might be cheaper to pay $27 per day though-and if you split it 5 ways, it doesn't average out to much-most of the van services would charge you more than that to take you round trip(where I live on the West coast).

I can't believe you can get a space that cheap in NYC, though cheap is entirely relative here I knew people that spent more on a parking space-not even in a garage-than they did on their rent when I lived in the city 20 years ago. And rent was horrid then too. My biggest hesitation about parking in NYC is that you would be leaving your car in NYC! I would definitely check on the security of the site.

Shellyjean
Old January 5th, 2006, 12:46 PM
First Mate

The total cost for the weeks parking is $190. If 5 of you split it, it will be $38 each - thats cheaper than getting a limousine to drive you all in and picking you up. I always drive in and leave the car there - its really convenient when you get off the ship.
NCL Dream - '08
Carnival Miracle - '07
NCL Dawn - '06
NCL Spirit - '06
Carnival Legend - '05
NCL Dawn - '04
NCL Dawn - '03
NCL Sea - '02
Cunard QE2 - '98
Old January 9th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Beginner

I've taken the cruise this July, and had the same question. Before you start hitting people up for favors or going w/ a van service that will easily be >$75 each way plus tolls, park in the garage right there.

Drop everyone and the luggage off first and then go around and up to the top and park the car. You have to pay upfront about 180 and then park yourself.

super easy, and you're not waitng for rides on the way back....I got out of there supper fast, and you're right by the lincoln tunnel.

the good doctor
Old January 18th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Beginner

FYI, the website for the cruise terminal puts the price for parking (though it could be outdated) at $24 per day, with a maximum of $180. I'm sailing on the Dawn in June and figure I can't do any better than that from my home in Connecticut. Even for a shorter trip from NJ, $90 each way may be tough to find.

If you're feeling intrepid, there are less expensive garages on the west side a couple miles north. (Google "New York City parking" and you'll find options.) If your luggage is manageable and you're willing to give up the convenience of adjacent parking, you could save yourself a little money -- but not a lot of money.
Old January 19th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Passenger

We returned from the Caribbean Jan.12, 2005 on the DAWN. The parking is well worth it. $180.00 max . We opted for Express Disembarking (carrying our own luggage). Walked off the ship, elevator to parking and home in Brooklyn in less than a half hour. Amazing!
When you depart, suggestion is you drive into NYC about 10:30 or 11:00 because it will take a long time to merge into one lane to drop off your luggage and then drive up the ramp to long term parking. It really gets jammed after 11:00 with cars going out and coming at the same time, with one traffic light at W55 and 12th.
Oh, we had another great time on the DAWN.
Old January 19th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

We live in Buffalo and have been thinking about driving to NYC to take the Dawn in the spring. All of the respondents in this thread have done a good job in answering some of the questions that I had about parking at the pier. Could someone tell me where the pier is located and for someone like myself who has never driven in this area, simple directions to get to the parking garage? Thanks in advance. -Jim
Old January 20th, 2006, 10:09 AM
First Mate

JIMINBUFFALO:

The parking is directly on top of the piers - its VERY convenient. They are located off the West Side Highway (aka Henry Hudson) at about 50th Street. Once you get in that area, you can't miss it.

Hope this helps!
NCL Dream - '08
Carnival Miracle - '07
NCL Dawn - '06
NCL Spirit - '06
Carnival Legend - '05
NCL Dawn - '04
NCL Dawn - '03
NCL Sea - '02
Cunard QE2 - '98
Old January 20th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Passenger

Hi:
Actually, the Dawn berths right next the U.S.Intrepid museum. If you follow signs on the 12th Avenue which read: To U.S. Intrepid Museum, you wil be there. Actually, the cross street is 12th Avenue and W.55th Street. If you arrive in NYC on the East Side, Take W.55th straight across town and it will bring right up the entrance for the Dawn and parking. If you arrive in NYC, on the West Side, drive down 12th Avenue and get in the far left lane around 50th Street. Be prepared for a long wait to make the left turn, long traffic light.
Hope this helps!
Old January 21st, 2006, 08:21 AM
Passenger

I too agree that Parking at NY piers can be very convenient since you park right next to ships and it is generally just an escalator ride down to get into terminal and board. However I will offer some comment about changes in recent years brought about by the mere number of ships sailing from NY. If you are sailing or returning on a date that several ships are in port it can be a bit of a mess. Even on those dates I would probably still say that parking at the pier is still the most convenient but one should be prepared for a huge traffic jam.

The pier entrance is immediately at the bottom of ramp exiting from the end of the Westside Hwy ( Henry Hudson Pky ) at around 55th street. As you come done ramp to street level the pier entrance ramp is to your right and can't miss it. The problem that arise is that the pier area is like an airport arrival/departure area, a long two lane road one way where you stop and drop or pickup at the pier entrance for you ship. If only one ship or two moderate size ships are in not bad but if several ships or a couple of large ships are in it can become one barely moving mess. Since there is no place that you will be allowed to stop unless you are droppng or unless you are picking up the person AND they are already standing there ( you will not be allowed to stop there for more than a minute or two ) the congestion can really mess you up as going around and back again is not easy in NY traffic. You might want to check the port time table for the dates involved. You can do that on the worldshipny DOT com website.

That said, driving and parking there still the most convenient since anyone picking you up faces the same challenge if the port arrival day is one with a lot of ship traffic. What people do is make arrangements to make contact by cellphone so that pick up vehicle doesn't get into traffic line until you are already out there with your luggage.

This has been somewhat heloed by Royal Caribbean and Celebrity sailing from bayonne Nj I would presume since my last sailing from NY but you should still be aware of it.

I long for the days when one ship sailed Saturday and one Sunday as far as parking is concerned. used to be able to pull up, drop luggage, go to end and up to parking level and be onboard sucking down the first drink in no time flat. Same leaving, but last time took me an hour to get off parking deck and pick up wife. Parking deck ramp also feeds into this two lane pick up and drop off area.

Cost wise is was $180 max but you should call phone number and verify what this years rates are. Still by NY standards ( not too many others ) parking is a bargain.

George in NY
Old February 5th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Passenger

Hope2Cruise says: I'm sailing on the Dawn in June and figure I can't do any better than that from my home in Connecticut

We also are sailing on the Dawn in June and from Ct. Do you know if NCL has transfers (buses) to transport passengers to the pier? We sailed RCCL in 2000 and took their bus from Hartford.
Old February 5th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

I believe NCL has ceased all their bus services to both NYC and Miami this year. There is one from CT - I think it's entertainment bus service or something similar.
Old February 6th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Beginner

Puddleducky: The NCL website shows bus service for the Dawn, effective January 2005, from New Haven and New London (as well as Boston and Providence) for $50 round trip. A pretty good deal (but remember to add in the cost of parking at the local bus station). For details, click on "More Info" from the NCL homepage and then choose "Bus Program" under "Freestyle Connection." Then click on "New York, NY."
Old February 8th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to AAAAmerican.Com

PARKING in NJ is a better alternative.
I saw nobody even mentioned this.. taking a ferry across the Hudson River from the parking area is a lot lower cost basis as well.

We do get a car..Limo.. sedan..etc.. to transport us to the Piers 80-90 and NYC Ship terminal on the Hudson River. Call various services prior asking prices for transport.

Even from the USMA in Westpoint, NY the cost of transport is lot lower than for the high parking fees (They have to be paid in CASH) up front for the PIER Parking...
For a day or two it would be cost advantageous. But a week ? No way.

Alone the George Washington Bridge, which by the way was never finished in building it..is over $6.00 now... the Lincoln and Holland Tunnels too...

So figure your cost basis maybe even renting a vehicle and having it picked up there would be better...

Oh on Cellular Phones being outside near the street is best as inside most of the LandLine (payphones) are used by crew or non working...

Old February 8th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2cruise
Puddleducky: The NCL website shows bus service for the Dawn, effective January 2005, from New Haven and New London (as well as Boston and Providence) for $50 round trip. A pretty good deal (but remember to add in the cost of parking at the local bus station). For details, click on "More Info" from the NCL homepage and then choose "Bus Program" under "Freestyle Connection." Then click on "New York, NY."
thank you for your reply, will look into it. If we can get dropped off that would be perfect...I am also going to check out bus station in Farmington.
Old April 26th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

We are leaving Sunday on the Spirit from NYC. I read the above information about the Dawn and believe that the pier is the same one as discussed above. Can someone who has sailed recently on the Spirit confirm this? We are planning on parking at the ramp and I have never been to this area before. Thanks a lot.
-jim
Old April 28th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInBuffalo
We are leaving Sunday on the Spirit from NYC. I read the above information about the Dawn and believe that the pier is the same one as discussed above. Can someone who has sailed recently on the Spirit confirm this? We are planning on parking at the ramp and I have never been to this area before. Thanks a lot.
-jim
Jim, YES same pier, all the piers are in a line like an airport drop off area, each ship is marked. I just posted photo's of pier area on cruisemates gallery.

INTERACTIVE FEATURES
PHOTO GALLERIES
NCL Spirit and NYC Pier is title

George in NY[/img]
Old April 28th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Thank you for the info and pictures

George,
Thanks so much for the information and especially for the pictures. This will help us out a lot since we have never been to this area even though we have lived in New York State our entire lives.

We are hoping that this works out well for us so that we can take more cruises from NYC.

I would love to hear back on your comments about the ship and the itinerary if you have time. We are leaving tomorrow at noon and will drive down close to the city and stay overnight and then we will go to the pier in the late morning. Is is true that it starts getting very congested by 11:00 am?

Have a great summer
-Jim
Old May 1st, 2006, 08:32 AM
Passenger

Jim, Sorry to say I missed your post and could not reply before you left. As I write you are hopefully having a great cruise and a heck of a good time. When you return I would love to hear all about it before we sail on on May 20th. Please do a review if you can...
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

To all that had responded to the above thread,
THANKS SO MUCH!, Everything that you said was true. The parking at the pier was just as good as we had expected. And it was easy! Like I said, I was a bit nervous about going to NYC but we will definatley go back.
Notes:
1.)We got to the pier at 11:00 and parked immediately. The Spirit was late in arriving that day.
2.)Excellent security at the parking area. Sniffer dogs and uniformed inspection officers for each car entering. We felt very safe leaving our brand new car there.
3.) The daily rate is $24 still. We paid $168 for the week. They make you pay in advance which means that you are not delayed when leaving.
4.) Very easy exit out to the street from the ramp. We were off the boat and in the Lincoln Tunnel within 15 minutes from our first step on the pier.
5) I will leave a seperate posting for our review of the Spirit but in a word, it was GREAT!
-JIM
Old May 12th, 2006, 10:06 AM
First Mate

This is copied directly from the NY Ship Terminal website....

PARKING RATES

Cruise Parking (Multi-Day Passengers) $24.00 Per Day

Daily Rate (Up to 10 Hours) (Drop Offs/Visitors) $22.00

Overnight Rate (per 24 Hours) $25.00

Monthly Rate (For Parking in Excess of 8 Days) $180.00

Taxes are included in the Rates.

Payment accepted in Cash or Travelers’ Checks.

Visa and MasterCard Accepted.

Reservations are not accepted.
NCL Dream - '08
Carnival Miracle - '07
NCL Dawn - '06
NCL Spirit - '06
Carnival Legend - '05
NCL Dawn - '04
NCL Dawn - '03
NCL Sea - '02
Cunard QE2 - '98