Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 29th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Passenger

Default Seasick.......

A 2 in 1 question. I just read a review, blah blah blah rough seas, winter weather Atlantic ocean. Is this true? Is it a rough ride in the Atlantic in the winter? Our last cruise was in February (out of Miami) and it got a little rough, but not enough to need a patch or anything. We have never had a problem with seasickness - neither husband or my kids, but there's always a first time. Can kids wear the patch too? And where do you get them on the ship or before we go. Thank you so much!
Anni
Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2005, 08:24 AM
Beginner

On our last cruise (A Disney ship and it was fabulous!) we had dinner with the captain. The most interesting thing about the evening was his discussion of rough seas. According to this captain the Atlantic is frequently rough in December, January, and February with the cooler weather and Gulfstream. Can't remember the specifics but his comment was if people are going to be seasick it will be during those months. Otherwise the ships have such great stabilizers you hardly ever feel any motion at all. My husband wore wrist bands when we went but I don't think he needed them. Hope this helps.
Old January 2nd, 2006, 03:54 PM
Beginner

Default North Atlantic Rough Seas

I can attest to rough seas in the North Atlantic. Many years ago was coming back from Europe on a small 10,000 ton ship. I was very young and ventured out during the storm (stupid idea) and stood at the highest point on the ship (other than the bridge) and when the ship was in a trough I could not see out over the waves. I would estimate 70-80+ foot waves. Had to walk partly on the wall and partly on the floor because of the list (max 42 degrees). Just watched a documentary on the travel channel about the building of the QM2. It is not like an ordinary cruise ship because it is made for the North Atlantic. It is made to withstand 100 foot waves. It has a double hull with thicker steel to withstand the punishment. It was questioned if the added expense of building would be paid back with passenger travel. Is the North Atlantic rough in the winter, you bet!!! But not necessarily will rough weather make you seasick, you may have more of a fear of the ship going down!!!
Old January 2nd, 2006, 07:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

I love those waves on the North Atlantic in January, but I usally pick a stable ship like QE2 or QM2 sail.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 06:07 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Seasick.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniM
A 2 in 1 question. I just read a review, blah blah blah rough seas, winter weather Atlantic ocean. Is this true? Is it a rough ride in the Atlantic in the winter? Our last cruise was in February (out of Miami) and it got a little rough, but not enough to need a patch or anything. We have never had a problem with seasickness - neither husband or my kids, but there's always a first time. Can kids wear the patch too? And where do you get them on the ship or before we go. Thank you so much!
Anni
Hi AnniM,

Yes, the Atlantic can be very rough in winter. Large cruise ships have stabilizers, which will keep motion at a minimum.

I think that patches are prescribed by doctors. Check with your children's doctor to determine what will be best for them.

I used Bonomine, which kept me very comfortable on Boston-Bermuda cruises.

Have a wonderful trip.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 11:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Ship costruction such as QE2 and QM2 were built with extra thick hulls to handel the demanding waves on the North Atlantic. Most regular cruise ships ride "high on the water" and have less draft and the ship is tossed around more in rough sea's.
Old March 9th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Passenger

Default crossing the Atlantic..what about the Pacific

Anyone out there ever crossed the Pacific in May? I am going and this is my only concern.
Old March 9th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Admiral

Anne, you don't really say what you mean by "Atlantic" Are you planning a winter North Atlantic crossing? Those who think that "stabilizers" do a lot of good in really rough seas, have never seen really rough seas. they help a lot in small seas and a little in larger ones. When they get 30 feet or larger the ship moves --a lot.

To answer your question the patches have to be gotten by prescription only before you leave. For most people Bonine works just fine and can be bought over the counter at any drugstore.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old March 9th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Passenger

Take a tip from an old salt. If you start to feel queasy, go out on
an outside deck and face FORWARD, take deep breaths. If you
are facing outward you are going to feel the ship rocking a lot
more than it really is because you are seeing the horizon move
up and down constantly. I was on a Navy ship with no stabilizers
and it did the trick.
Old March 9th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Seasick.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniM
Anni
Anni, are you talking the North Atlantic as others have asked? What ships do the northern route in winter, or are you talking about sailing out of NYC south? If that is what you are referring to, sure it can be rough, but the ships are so well stablized you shouldn't have much to worry about. The patches seem to work well although they can make you a bit drousy. NMNita
Old March 12th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have found that ginger root capsules are the best to use. There are no side effects with them and you can take them as a precautionary measure. They can be found at a health food store.
Old March 12th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Passenger

Definetly wear the bracelets .. they work! ALso east green apples.

I have been off the ship (Dawn 2/12/06) now for 2 weeks and I'm still experiencing dizziness!

I went to the Doctor yesterday and was told my equilibrium is still off.

SO ... here it is I'm on land now wearing the patch and my bracelets!
Our seas were very calm , so I guess you really can't tell who will get
sea sick and who will not!

Wear the bracelets and eat green apples!

Have a great trip!
Old March 12th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Admiral

I hate to tell you this cruisenlouise, but the reason you are still dizzy, on land is because of the patch. Even after you take it off it takes many people several days to get their equilibrium back. Scopolamine is a very powerful and dangerous substance. We used the patch once on our first cruise on a very small windjammer. We were both dizzy for two weeks. We have since been on many cruises and in very rough seas (roaring 40s, south of cape Horn, the works) and found out that we don't really get seasick anyway. But even if we did I would never get close to one of those patches again!
For those who do get seasick, the very best medicine is meclazine, (generic for Bonine) unless you are unusually severely afflicted (maybe one in 500,} then maybe consider the patch. The good news is on 19 out of 20 cruises you need absolutely nothing. But pack a few Bonine just in case.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old March 12th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Passenger

RIchstacy .... Just to inform you ...... I never wore the patch on my cruise!

I had the bracelets on for most of the time and I experienced only a few hours of sea sickness on the 2nd day of the cruise.

When I got home, obviously I wasn't wearing the bracelets anymore. I felt swaying for the first week and by the second week it was getting worse. So I went to the Doctor .. he prescribed the patch to help stabilize my equilibrium. Today is my 3rd day wearing it - I'm still not 100% back to myself, but at least the severe dizziness I've been experiencing is gone. I was told that as quick as the severe dizzines came on it will leave.

Your suggestion for Bonine is good advice , that worked great for my husband. You must've had a bad experience with the patch ... not all people do. I know many people that have worn them on the boat and experience no side effects at all.

You're a lucky person to have no sea sickness now!
Old March 13th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Admiral

Cruisenlouise, I know lots of people who have experienced prolonged dizziness even after removal of the patch, caused by the patch. I suggest you Google scopolamine. You will see that this is among the most dangerous of drugs. Check the Wikopedia information on it. It can cause central nervous system problems, delirium, amnesia, and hallucinations and was once used by the CIA as a truth drug. A physician friend of mine said he would never prescribe it at all for motion sickness. I would certainly never consider it for that purpose except as a last resort in a case of dire need.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Passenger

RichSTacy ... I think I may be one of those statistics that the patch didn't work!!!!

Well ... actually it worked for the first few days I wore it, my dizziness definetly subsided (2weeks post -cruise), however by the 5th day wearing it my vision started to get blurry !!! Off with the Patch!!!!!

I did follow your advice and searched on the meds associated with the patch . ---- I will never wear it again either!

You mentioned that you had friends that experienced the dizziness for days after removing the patch . ANd that you were dizzy for 2 weeks after also .

I totally loved cruising on the Dawn , but at this point I'm so fearful I could experience all this dizziness again!

Do you have any advice to help me out?? The doctors say to wait a few more days before I go back to the office - At this point I really don't think they could help me. I asked if I should try the Bonine now ... and was told I could. I'm not even sure if my bracelets will help at this point.

ANy input that could help me would be appreciated!!!
Old March 16th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Admiral

Cruisenlouise,
The dizziness which is probably related to the scopolamine, will go away in a few days I'll bet. It could be that bonine would help until then. Bonine and it's generic Meclazine are prescribed for all sorts of dizziness, not just motion sickness.

About your next cruise, unless you are one of those very rare people who are extremely sensitive to motion sickness, (get carsick riding to the store and airsick on smooth flights) I wouldn't worry about it. Just have some bonine handy, just in case. As for the bracelets, if they work for you, go for it. You might consider avoiding cruises where you are likely to encounter rough water. For example the caribbean in hurricane season, the "roaring 40's," the Bering sea. a full pacific crossing, the north Atlantic in winter etc. Most of the time it is almost impossible to get seasick on a cruise ship.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08