Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2006, 06:23 PM
Passenger

Default Where do you buy a patch?

Can anyone tell me where I can get the seasick patches, and if children can use them? Thank you
Anni
Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2006, 06:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

You need a doctor's prescription to get the patch. They are not sold over the counter. I'm not sure if they have them in children's strength or not. I have never used them personally, but maybe someone who has can tell you about possible side effects and how well they work. I have a bad motion problem so I try to cruise during the calmer months on very large ships if I can, unless there's a good price or an itinerary I really want to see. I wear the pressure bands, take meclizine, and also ginger capsules sometimes and manage to have a good time. Cabin location is important, the season, and also which ocean you are on. Good luck
Old January 2nd, 2006, 02:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

I would be careful with the patch. Yes you do need a prescription from a doctor. One of my coworkers who has cruised several times and never got seasick, decided she would try it out on her upcoming cruise "just incase". Bad Decision. She had blurred vision for 4 days of her 7 day cruise. It was so bad she couldn't read any of the menu's and had a hard time signing her name. She said her husband had to guide her around the ship and she end up canceling their excursions. I would try the non-drowsy Dramimine or Bonnie first. I only had to use it once when we cruised the Western Caribbean in December. We had a storm following us the whole cruise and it was only one night that I felt the ship swaying. We were on the 8th deck.
Have a great time and enjoy your cruise
Monarch of the Seas Jan. 2005 Baja Calif.
NCL Dream Nov. 2005 Western Caribbean
Monarch of the Seas Mar 2006 Baja Calif.
NCL Star Oct. 2006 Mexican Riviera
NCL Pearl Nov. 2007 Southern Caribbean
Mariner of the Seas May 2009 Pacific Coastal
Mariner of the Seas June 2009 Mexican Riviera
RCI Radiance of the Seas
Old January 2nd, 2006, 03:17 AM
Administrator
Admiral

As you have been told, the Scopolomine patch is only available with a prescription from your doctor and they are the best person to answer your questions.

I do have one suggestion for any over the counter medication. Try taking it "before" you go on your cruise. It is better to find out if the medication will make you sleepy or nauseous without ruining part of your vacation.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 3rd, 2006, 01:28 AM
Passenger

I would "test drive" the patch before your cruise. We got them before our Disney cruise, they worked good, but it irritated my asthma and I ended up being rushed to the medical center for neb treatment, but a sour note on our trip.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 04:46 PM
Familiar Face

Anni,

I have used the patch several times. I just call the Advice Nurse at my local HMO and ask for a prescription, then pick it up at the drug store.
The only time I have had blurred vision is in the morning when I open the curtain in my stateroom, and the sun is glaring. It looks like a fog, but it goes away.

Use Bonine instead. It is over the counter, and the one recommended by the nurse. It works like magic. Take one tablet the night before you cruise so it gets into your system. Then one each morning, and one at bed time.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 06:55 PM
Passenger

I used the patch and had no side effects. According to the warnings on the box, the blurred vision is caused by touching your eye. My box warns to wash your hands after applying the patch because if medication gets into your eyes it causes blurred vision.
Mike & Jess
Old January 3rd, 2006, 07:13 PM
First Mate

Cabin location is also an important comfort factor. Midship on a lower deck, will offer the smoothest ride.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 08:07 PM
Admiral

Our GD new mother in law developed a bad rash from the patch on our cruise a few weeks ago. I would certainly test it before sailing as I would test any type of medication. We did the patch on our very first cruise about 2000 years ago, have never used anything since and never had any problems. Yes, a mid ship cabin can be a great guard against sea sickness. Actually most of the newer ships have good enough stablizers that only those who are really prone to problems have trouble. NMnita