Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 6th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Beginner

Default first time cruisers

My family and I are first time cruisers sailing on the Jewel on 3/19. Is there any suggestions anyone can make that will make the cruise a great experience? I have a teenager daughter and friends of ours who are also going have 2 teenage boys. Is there alot of things for them to do? I am staying in a mini suite, and was wondering if anyone knew anything about those staterooms.
Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Admiral

Someone else will have to fill you in on the stateroom as we had an outside, low deck when we sailed her in Sept. Just the ports alone will keep the kids fairly busy, plus pool time. As it will be spring break for many kids the teens should have no trouble making friends. I would advise them to attend the teen meeting the first night. If there isn't information in your stateroom ask at the reception desk.

I advise everyone to try as many different eateries as possible. One of our favorites for snacks and even dinner one night was Blue Lagoon. The kids should fall in love with the place. They also serve breakfast but it is a very basic menu. We tried it once. I do not recommend Tango, especially if you know and like good Mexican or southwestern food. We were very disappointed. That was the only disappointment we had on our entire cruise.

There are 4 specialty dinig places; try one if not all three. Cagney's was DHs favorite and mine will always be Le Bistro. We love Mama's Italian restaurant as well with no extra charge. Cagney's and Le Bistro will have a cover charge of about $15.00.

Make certain you see as many shows as possible, again the Jean Ryan dancers are great. We did not care for the Country Gold as much: maybe we are just old foggies, but the last production is something to be remembered for a long time.

Hope this helps some, BTW if you consume alcolol be prepared to pay a premium price, depending on where you live. For some the prices are what they pay on land, for others it is a shock, but no different from any other line I can assure you.

The only thing missing on your trip is a really good tour guide. I would love to volumteer and I don't charge much!!!

Have a blast: let us know how it all turns out. NMNita ps; the soda cards are a great deal if the kids drink a lot of pop.
Old January 7th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Beginner

Hi, my family and I will also be on the Jewel on that cruise. I have a 15 year old daughter who has been concerned about meeting other teens and spending too much time with Mom and Dad. Glad to hear about the teen meetiing. Check out cruisecritic.com, it has a very active message board and you will find pictures of the minisuite from past cruisers as well as a lot of discussion about its benefits.