Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to SusanIII
Default Free Upgrades

I have read postings on several sites about free upgrades-especially on the Spirit. Is this just an arbitrary-get lucky-thing or is that an inquiry that can be made? I would love to be upgraded to a suite (wouldn't we all) and would hate to miss out on it just because I didn't ask.
Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

On NCL I have found it is mainly pay for upgrades as in "upsells". They will call you close to sailing and ask if you want a higher cabin that they have available for a set amount per person. For me it was around $350 per person for an upsell to a suite from a balcony. We did not take it but it was nice to be asked. Debbie
Old January 11th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to SusanIII

cool-thanks for your reply!
Old January 12th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Free upgrades is often misleading. You only go up a category or two in the cabin you've already booked. On all ships today, cabin size is standard for inside, outside, balcony. Going up a deck isn't really going to matter -- you'll have the identical size stateroom.

What doesn't happen with free upgrades is moving from an inside to outside cabin, outside to balcony, balcony to suite.
www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old January 12th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

An upgrade is not always the blessing you think it is. For me, where I want to be on a ship is always location, location, location. You can be "upgraded" to a higher deck, but in a lousy spot (next to elevators or over a club or the kitchen) I know that some people have gotten lucky and gotten a better cabin but I think that is the luck of the draw so would not want to take the chance. For that same reason, I would never ever book a guarantee. You can be placed anywhere they want to put you and I think a lot of the time, it is in the cabins that do not sell. I have been in a few cabins that had problems, so now I try to pick very carefully where I want to be. My advice would be to study the deck plans, book a cabin by number in a good spot and enjoy every minute of your cruise. Never could understand why upper decks are such a status symbol anyway, there's a lot more motion up there and you could end up under the pool deck(been there) and its pretty noisy. Happy sails!
Old January 12th, 2006, 12:33 PM
First Mate

Good morning,

PCBoston: RIGHT ON !!! Good post
Cheers
CG

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old January 14th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks sealegs......its just a matter of mistakes I've made and learned from. A lot of people are flattered to be offered an upgrade, but sometimes it is so the cruiseline can fill a higher category cabin in a lousy location that didn't sell.....and then resell your lower category but better one to someone else. It's not because they like you, just a financial decision. Common sense really. Nothing's free in this world....we need to examine "gifts" carefully to see if they are worth opening. Happy sailing!