Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Passenger

Default How to get to the beach?

When ship is in a port - how do i get to the beach? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to SusanIII
Default beaches

It depends on which island you are on and which beach you plan to go to, but I have researched a few islands and have chosen a couple of different plans. While in St. Thomas I will take the St. John Beach Excursion planned by the ship because I prefer St. John to St. Thomas. In Antigua I will take a cab to a resort where I plan to pay a minimal day pass fee for one of the resorts on the island. I have read great reviews about the beach and the amenities included with the day pass. In Barbados I will rent a Moke and explore the island-stopping at a few different beaches because I can't decide which beach I'd prefer to go to-there are many and they all seem great. If you research a particular island you will probably be able to decide on which beach you'd like to go to-and chances are you will be able to take a cab. Be sure to arrange a return pick up time so that you are back at the ship in time for the departure. Traffic on some islands is quite busy-especially when everyone is trying to get back to port so be sure to tell the driver when you need to be back. The advantage to doing the ship's excursions, is that they do that planning for you, but of course you are sometimes limited in your choices by staying with the ship's excursion trips. I should add to this that I have never taken a cruise before, but some of it is just common sense. I find that the more I research about a vacation destination, the more I ultimately enjoy my time because I have focus and do not waste time trying to figure out what I want to see.
Old January 10th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Passenger

WOW! Thanks. By asking this I haven't thought it was that serious of a business. We are going to Bermuda and will stay 2 days in each spot.
Any Bermuda beach i should consider to preffer?lol Thanks
Old January 10th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Passenger

Default Which Beach

Not really serious. I have to admit-for me part of the fun of going on vacation is all the fun I have in advance looking for information about where I'm going. It kind of makes me feel like I'm already there! I look for pictures (find the names of the different beaches at your stops and then do a Google Image search) -see if that helps you decide. Once you have an idea then you can inquire about transportation to and from. What cruise line are you using? They will likely have transportation to beaches as part of the shore excursions. I've never been to Bermuda-so it would be all research for me too! Have fun!
Old January 10th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Passenger

Norwegian Crown...I would like to pay as less as possible so i am not planning to take excursions. Any thoughts? Thanks
Old January 10th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Passenger

It depends on the excursion-I actually found that what you might spend on your own getting to the beach, having an iced tea, just the simple stuff-might be just as cheap through the excursion. I guess the only time that would not be true is if there is a beach within walking distance of the terminal. Having not been to any port except St. Thomas, I can't make that call, but if St. Thomas is any indication-there aren't really nice beaches close to where these ships dock. See if you can research the beaches near your ports and find out if they are within walking distance-if not, find out how much the cab fare is and compare it to the shore excursion price-usually the shore excursion includes a drink or lunch so don't forget to add that in.
Old January 10th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Passenger

Default NCL

I looked at the NCL excursions for Bermuda-there really aren't any that I would choose for a stop at the beach-so I would Google the ports and find out what the closest beaches are-then try to get a picture of them to see if they look good to you. It shouldn't take much to find out what transportation is necessary from the ship.
Old January 10th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Passenger

I copied the following from this website-perhaps it will help. There are no rental cars-you can rent scooters but it is not recommended.
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/ports/bermuda.cfm

Taxis are available for set metered fees, but the best deal in Bermuda is its clean, efficient bus system. A token or exact change is required, but one-day or multi-day passes that can also be used on the ferries are more convenient and economical. ($12-$28 - discounted fares for children) There is regular ferry service from Hamilton to Somerset and to Kings Wharf at the Dockyard.
For beach lovers, Tobacco Bay on the north shore -- not far from St. George's and Fort St. Catherine -- has changing facilities and a refreshment area.
Along Bermuda's famed south shore, Horseshoe Bay and Warwick Long Bay Beach are easily accessible by bus from Hamilton. The beach at Elbow Beach Hotel is open to the public for a nominal fee.
Old January 10th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Passenger

Default My last research

By land from the Town of St. George. For those whose cruise ship docks here. By bus or minibus or taxi or moped/scooter. Ferries don't go to any of the places in this paragraph. See Getting Around for Visitors. Arrange with the cruise ship to supply you with a packed lunch and towels. Wear your swimsuit under your clothes. Bring a camera and sun tan lotion. Go by mini-bus - as buses don't go this far. Instead of going to public Tobacco Bay - it is lovely indeed but there is a sewage pipeline only 1,000 yards away emptying out into the sea from shore - you might prefer a beach such as public and also lovely - but private - Achilles Bay half a mile away or public Fort St. Catherine Beach nearby. This author's personal preference is for John Smith's Bay in Smith's Parish which is a 25-30 minute bus ride on the # 1 route from the Town of St. George (do not take the # 3 or 10/11), with a bus stop near the beach. Ask the bus driver to stop at John Smith's Beach.

By sea from the Town of St. George. For those whose cruise ship docks here.

Ferries don't go to Paget Island. Residents can do the following, hopefully visitors can too, but always check in advance from where you rent a Boston whaler or a local member of the Personal Watercraft Association of Bermuda. If so, be sure to ask for a map and directions. Then go, keeping to the 5 knot limit in the harbor until you get to the Paget Island beach. Take photographs with no problem but be sure not to litter the beach in any way. Find a little-known-to-tourists island beach, such as those on Paget Island, 10 minutes away by water from the Old Town. It is owned by the Bermuda Government but is accessible by water (only) up to the high tide mark. (Only when you trespass beyond the high water mark will you see the sign telling you not to access without permission). The author recommends it as a lovely romantic getaway, but pick a day when the water is calm.
Ferries don't go Castle Harbour. Residents can do the following, hopefully visitors can too, but always check in advance from where you rent a Boston whaler or a local member of the Personal Watercraft Association of Bermuda. If so, be sure to ask for a map and directions. Then go, keeping to the 5 knot limit in the harbor. Go west from the Town of St. George's via Ferry Reach and under Swing Bridge and then east again under Longbird Bridge into Castle Harbour, for sightseeing or beaching. For best results, go when the tide is low. In Castle Harbour, stop first on the sea side of the small beach exposed at low tide at Cable End, then moor off Castle Island.
By land from the City of Hamilton. For those whose cruise ship docks here. By bus or taxi or moped/scooter. Ferries don't go to any of the places in this paragraph. John Smith's Bay in Smith's Parish is a lovely public beach about 30 minutes by the # 1 bus every half hour during the day. Other public beaches are ( the public section of) Elbow Beach in Paget Parish, on the # 7 bus route; Warwick Long Bay (another personal favorite) in Warwick Parish, on the # 7 bus route; Horseshoe Bay in Southampton Parish, on the # 7 bus route; Church Bay, also in Southampton Parish, also # 7 bus route.

By sea from the City of Hamilton.

Going by ferry to Dockyard and/or Town of St. George is a gorgeous way - and the least expensive of all trips by boat - to see the western and eastern parishes.
Rent a Boston whaler or ask the local member of the Personal Watercraft Association of Bermuda to help you, with a map and directions. Go west to Paradise Lake - not served by ferry - passing a number of islands.
By land from Dockyard. In Sandys Parish. A really nice beach - the best in this Parish - is Somerset Long Bay in Sandys Parish, but it is a fair walk from where the nearest public bus stop at Mangrove Bay.

This might be the most helpful info. for you...copied from
http://www.bermuda-online.org/cruises.htm

By sea from Dockyard. In Sandys Parish. For those whose cruise ship docks here.

Ferries stop at several of the Parish's areas. Well worth seeing. Also, going by ferry to City of Hamilton and/or Town of St. George is a gorgeous way - and the least expensive of all trips by boat - to see the western and eastern parishes.
Ferries don't stop at Ely's Harbour. Rent a Boston whaler or ask the local member of the Personal Watercraft Association of Bermuda to help you, with a map and directions. Then go, keeping to the 5 knot limit in the harbour. Take a day or half day exploration of Ely's Harbour and then a relaxing swim after the harbour to the small beaches of the (presently closed) Daniel's Head Village hotel. To stay legal, go on any beach up to but not beyond the high water mark. Go at high tide to give you the best chance of evading reefs and shoals.
Old January 11th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Passenger

Holly...you are so good Susan, thanks so much. Now I am off to read it all.
Old January 11th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Passenger

I hope it all helps-it was fun researching and maybe in the future it will come in handy for me! Have a great time!
Old January 12th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

We were in Bermuda 2 yrs. ago on Norwegian Majesty, they dock only in St. George for 3 days. The first day, we walked to Fort St. Catherine Beach and it was very nice. You pass Tobacco Bay beach on the way, it didn't look as nice, so we didn't stop there. It was a long uphill walk, though, so coming back we took the mini-van, they go up and down at regular intervals. Your best bet in Bermuda is to buy a multi-day bus and ferry pass, then you can explore all over. We did that, went to the caves and down to Hamilton, the main city for shopping on Wed. night, when they have a street fair with so many vendors. I bought a book on Bermuda before I went and studied up on it. Horseshoe Bay is the most beautiful beach I have ever seen and is a must-see in my opinion. The sand really is pink, the water turquoise, just gorgeous. From that beach, you can walk along the shore to some of the smaller beaches like Jobson's Cove. I think you will love Bermuda. It is clean, safe, and one of my favorite islands.
Old January 15th, 2006, 01:01 AM
First Mate

On most cruises, the best way to get to the beach is to walk the pier to where it meets the land, and then turn either left or right, depending on what you see there.