Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to SusanIII
Default Carry on luggage

A less controversial question...

If I can carry all my luggage (1 big backpack and a smaller carry item) do I need to check luggage? I've heard it's much easier on disembarkation (is that the right word?) if you don't have to wait for porters.
Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Admiral

Hi again SusanIII,

Yes, if you can carry off all of your luggage you can do self-disembarkation! No need to search for your luggage in a sea of "look-alike" bags or use a porter.

If you are going on a 7 day cruise I'd love to know how you can pack everything in a backpack and a carry on!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old January 11th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Passenger

Your posts have made me smile twice now! What a treat. I'm actually going on a 10 day cruise-and yes, I hope to put it all in 1 bag. I have a large duffel by North Face that has backpack straps. (It's also waterproof which is great) When I went to St. John for 10 days (a few years back) I was able to pack everything in it (including my snorkel gear). My silk slacks get a little wrinkled, but hopefully I can hang them in the shower and be good to go. I try to pack only the things I know I will wear-that helps. I spent years travelling on the road with Broadway shows-so I have some practise!
Old January 11th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Admiral

Hi Susan,

Wow! I wish I could pack like you! On our last cruise (11 days) I got down to a 28" suitcase, a carry on with "essentials" and a carry on with Diet Coke (used at the end for souvenirs) and thought I was doing well!

There were only 2 or 3 things I didn't wear. I am doing better, though. On our previous cruises I had a 28", a 26", a carry on, and my Diet Coke bag! Maybe next time I can go down to a 26", a carry on and my Cokes! (Must have!)

What shows did you perform in? Singing? Dancing? We don't get many "Broadway" shows here in Arkansas, but I love them!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old January 11th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Passenger

I'm a stagehand-an electrician. I do things like follow spots, moving lights, special effects. I toured with many shows and now I work only on Broadway. I've done shows like Annie Get Your Gun, Jekyll & Hyde, Spamalot. It's definitely fun and what I always wanted to do.
Old January 11th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Susan, definately off topic but we're going to be in NY March 18th and want to catch a Broadway production with our two kids (a show suited for children) what would you recommend? I was thinking along the lines of Lion King or such. I thought since you are "in the business" you'd be a good person to ask. Also, where is the best place to pick up tickets at the best prices. Thanks so much!
Old January 11th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Passenger

I think Lion King is a great show for both adults and kids. It is getting ready to move to a new theatre-so I think now is definitely a great time to see it. I'm not sure how difficult it is to get tickets but usually ticketmaster or similar will get you what you need in advance. For people who don't care as much what they see I always recommend the TKTS booth-tickets at a reduced price for performances that aren't sold out (purchased day of). That option is not great when you are from out of town. I work on Wicked -and I think it is the best show in town right now, but tickets are very hard to get. If you have trouble let me know-maybe I can help.
Old January 11th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Admiral

we do not over dress and i try to keep things to a minimum like 3 pair of shoes: sandles, tennis shoes and one a little dressier and I still can not imagine a 7 day cruise with nothing but carry ons. I know it is becoming more popular all the time and yes, you will be able to disembark much easier. NMnita
Old January 11th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Passenger

you should keep in mind that my carry on is much bigger than most people can manage, but I just throw it on my back and I'm good to go-in a few more years that might not be the case