Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to smleonard5
Default Wireless internet on Star

Anyone ever take their laptop and use the wireless on the Star? We are leving on the 28th cruise of this month and hubby wants to take our laptop but I am not too sure about this??

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Passenger

We were on the Star over Christmas and I think carrying a laptop and running wireless (802.11) was ideal. It allowed more flexibility rather than being tied to using their workstations. You can use wireless on many levels (4, 5, 6) at the Java coffee shop and around the pool area. I purchased a package ($100) which I think gave us 3 hours of connection time. If you purchase hours for your wireless laptop, these hours cannot be used with the fixed workstations...other than that, it works great.
Old January 15th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Administrator
Admiral

glnduz:

I was also under the impression that you are also charged the per-minute charge in addition to the $100 wireless access fee. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 15th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Passenger

Mike:

No, we were just charged the $100 access fee. DH can't remember for sure, but also thinks it may have been more than 3 hrs.

Glenda
Old January 16th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Beginner

We took our laptop along to dump digital photos onto while on the ship and actually got on the internet for free for about 30 minutes while in Cabo. I don't know how it happened, but we loved it while we were connected!

Honestly, I say leave the laptop at home. It's too pricey to connect and you'll probably have more fun and be more relaxed without the computer. We took ours, but in retrospect, I wish I had left it at home as it was one more expensive gadget to worry about. Just my opinion.