Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 3rd, 2006, 08:00 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to redstangjt
Default PO America ratings, May 20th, 2006

We will be cruising POA on May 20th, anyone have any advice on car rental, and taking the Hana Highway all the way around. I have found a web site that will book rental cars at each port and take you to pick them up, anyone used this site? Also lots of terrible reviews, I have cruised both Golden Princess, and several Carnivale, could POA be as bad as these reviews say. My husband and I are both just turning 50, his parents will also be with us, they are in their early 70's. I have read many books about the islands, just want to get some first hand information.
Thanks,
Jeannie
Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Beginner

My husband and I are cruising with Pride of America March 4th. Would you mind sharing the website you were referring to on rental cars in Hawaii? We have decided that rental car might be a better option for several of the islands versus the shore excursion.
Old February 13th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Beginner

Default POAM

I too am scheduled to be on the POAM the week of May 20. I have read several reviews on the POAM on another website
(cruise-critic.com) and many of the more recent reviews have been good. The main complaint seems to be with the Freestyle dining and the housekeeping. Personally, I do not plan to eat in the specialty restuarants and pay extra money when I can eat for free and if they don't vacumn my room it will not ruin the cruise for me. If you know ahead of time that this cruise is different in that it is geared to more time in port and go with an open mind you will have a great time!
Old February 14th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdls
My husband and I are cruising with Pride of America March 4th. Would you mind sharing the website you were referring to on rental cars in Hawaii? We have decided that rental car might be a better option for several of the islands versus the shore excursion.
The web site that I have found for car rental is www.discounthawaiicarrental.com. Please let me know about your trip when you return. My e-mail is redstantjt@yahoo.com
Thanks
Jeannie
Old March 6th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Passenger

Most of the major car rental offer shuttles in every port Thriffty, Herts, Budget. Just make reservations ahead of time.
Old March 9th, 2006, 01:31 AM
Beginner

Default Just came back from POA-Hawaii

Car Rental
I saw most car rental companies had buses at every port right at dock Saw Hertz, Thrifty, Alamo, National among others. Since Alamo and National are owned by the same company, you can take either bus in most cases. Ask the driver. Book with your favorite company. Great way to see the islands.

One thing in Honolulu- if you are renting a car there: I will give you my example:
I rented from Alamo both pre and post cruise. There is an Alamo rental office near the airport, and a different one near the port. Make sure if you rent a car post cruise that you rent it from the office near the port (there are shuttles) that you can return it at the airport. And just the opposite pre-cruise.

POA
POA service is not up to the usual cruise ship standards, but we went to see the islands-not be on the ship. Some of the cabin stewards lack understanding what cruise passengers expect. Nothing awful happened, just little things like taking used glasses from the room and replacing them with fresh ones every day. But the little misses happened every day. If a steward was ill, there was no replacement until passengers notified housekeeping-but then it was acted on immediately.
Service in the restaurants was spotty. Food in Cadillac Grille was awful.
Rains heavily in Kuaui often, but line does not provide umbrellas and it is a block walk to the shelter.

Best Parts of the cruise:
Cruise in front of volcanoes at night
Cruising Na Pali coast (don’t waste your money on whale watching tour – you will see lots there)
Food in Little Itally (no surcharge, reservations required) was absolutely outstanding
Food in Lazy J Steakhouse was delicious (reservations, Surcharge)
Entertainment: John Barry, Juggler, comedian
And W.T. Greer, singer in Champagne Bar

Overall, loved the cruise for the convenience an ports.
jkl
Old March 9th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Admiral

Concerning your question about driving a rental car "all the way around the Hana Highway," that would take you a minimum of 12 hours under the best of circumstances (I know, I've done it twice). it will take most of the day just to drive from Kahului or Lahaina to Hana and back. that part of the road is good. On the back side, part of the road is unpaved and in very poor shape. Most of the rental companies will void your contract if they find out you drive on it. If you are not highly skilled at driving on really bad roads don't even think about it. The road to Hana and back is much better. Besides, you can stop on the way back at Mama's Fish House for dinner (near Paia). It's pricey, but absolutely one of a kind gorgeous! Even if you don't eat there stop and check the grounds out.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old March 9th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Passenger

Thanks so much for your information, this has helped me a great deal. As for driving curvy, ruff roads, we have a few of those in WV. I believe tho that we will take the road to Hana the first day we are in port, and try to do the Lahaina circle the second day on Maui. We arrive on Monday morning, and don't leave until Tuesday evening. I hope that will be time to do the things we want to get done. Hope everyone taking this cruise will keep me up to date on their likes and dislikes.
Old March 9th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Admiral

If I'd noticed you were from West Virginia I'd have known you could handle the curves all right! The road to Hana is about as twisty as they come but is much better now than 20 years ago when I first drove it.
Didn't know you were going to be there that long. You can drive all the way around the small end of the Island in 2 or 3 hours, and it is very scenic. There are some one-lane spots you have to watch but just take care. Don't miss the blowhole. Also you might consider driving up Haleakala. Takes a couple of hours. You get to 10,000 ft. Spectacular scenery and you go through about 30 climate zones on the way up. the crater is like the moon, and you are above the clouds. Well worth the trip.
Bon Voyage

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old March 11th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Passenger

Thanks so much for your reply and information. We plan to take the road to Hana the first day, and maybe Haleakala also that day. We are in port overnight. The next day I think we will drive around the small end of Maui as you suggested, we don't leave until around 6:00 or 7:00 that evening so I think we will have plenty of time. I just wish I had more time in Lahaina, do you suggest we take the east side first or the west side. I sure would like to have an idea of how long I could spend around the Lahaina area before going back to port. Thanks again for all the posts, I really enjoy hearing about everyone else's adventures. Also I'm not gonna worry myself about the ship, sometimes in staying at hotels you get basically the same service, no vacuuming, dirty glasses, having to request extra towels, etc. I'm going to see the islands, and we will not be on the ship that much anyway. We are in port everyday, almost all day long.
Thanks to all cruisers!!!
Jeannie
Old March 11th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Lahaina is pretty commercial, but there are some good eateries there. Whaler's Village a few miles north is very nice too. The Hula grill there is outstanding. Be sure and have a mai tai for me! We will spend a month on Maui in Feb-Mar 07. It will be the third time we've done it. East or West first, who can say. If you tender in at Lahaina then West. If you dock at Kahului then east I guess. I'm sure the ship will be fine. Have a great cruise!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08