Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Beginner

Default First time cruisers! Scared!

We will be cruising Apr.23 from Honolulu to San Francisco. 10 days. I am terrified of the weather conditions. I am pregnant (not 24wks by time trip ends) and sailing w/2 kids and hubby. I am so nervous about the rough seas I can't seem to relax. Does anyone have any nice thoughts about this trip?

Thank you,
Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Admiral

Of course we have good thoughts. Yes, to be honest the seas may be a little rough, but it shouldn't cause any real problems. Ask your doctor what would be the best if sea sickness is what you are worried about. Your kids will be fine and everyone will have an awesome time. Just believe you will have a good time and you will. Half of what happens to us in this world is based on our attitude. Again, it may not be the smoothest cruise in the world but everything else will be great. NMNita
Old February 12th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Beginner

Default Has anyone crossed the pacific?

Thank you for writing back. The sea sickness is the least of my worries. I am worried about the ship being able to handle rough seas. I thought April would've been a good time to cross the Pacific but it doesn't seem that way.
Old February 12th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Admiral

Oh my, don't worry about that. We were on the Jewel last Sept and crossed from London to NY via the North Atlantic. We did miss one port because of high winds and fog, but never did any of us worry about the rough seas. One time in Alaska, late May, on a very small NCL ship we were really out in the Pacific and had no problems. Yes, we did a lot of rocking and rolling, but today's ships are very different than those build almost 100 years ago. You will be just fine. Have a great cruise. NMnita
Old February 13th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Captain

Don't worry about the ship, it will do fine. Enjoy your trip and the time with your family. You can usually spot a number of dophins when leaving from Houston so that will be great for the kids to see, assuming they're old enough to appreciate what they are.

Magnolia Blossom
Old February 13th, 2006, 12:11 PM
First Mate

Which ship are you going on?

Todays large cruise ships have stablizers which keep the ship running smoother through rough seas. They can handle it, so please don't worry.

I'd rather do a crossing by ship than by plane.
Old February 13th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Beginner

Default barb

We are going on the Pride of Aloha. Still scared outta my mind. Crossing the pacific which entails 4 days in the middle of the ocean just doesn't sound wonderful to me. I know it's crazy!
Old February 13th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Administrator
Admiral

tnt:

You will be amazed at how easily the ship will handle the seas. Yes, you will feel some motion, especially if the seas are a bit high but it will not be "rockin and rolling."

Once you are onboard you will probably forget your worries and enjoy it all. My older brother was very afraid of being on a ship where he could not see land. After the second day he couldn't believe he was ever afraid. We encountered 18 foot swells (heavy seas) and it didn't phase him in the least. He had a stern cabin next to mine and his exact words as we stood on our balconies and watched the ship move were. "This is cool. I hardly feel it.". Four days earlier he wasn't going to get on the ship.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 13th, 2006, 06:04 PM
First Mate

We were on this ship when it was the NCL Sky, and we were very comfortable aboard.

We are booked on the Pride of Aloha next December for a Hawaiian cruise. Can't wait.
Old February 16th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

I don't think you have a thing to worry about. We took a 13 night cruise in October and we could have stayed even longer. The time flies by, whether its on a 7 day or longer.
As for sea sickness, my husband used ginger root capsules on the last cruise. He didn't feel sleepy, and they certainly did the trick. I have heard that doctors are prescribing them for morning sickness. But before taking any medication, always, always, always ask your doctor first.
Have a great time.