Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2006, 10:25 AM
Passenger

Default Boston to Bermuda

Has anybody done the Boston to Bermuda cruise and would you suggest it?
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2006, 11:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

We did this one 3 yrs. ago. I live north of Boston so we were able to drive to the pier with no flying, so that kept the cost down. Bermuda itself is a gorgeous island, St. George where they dock is a pretty place and it is fairly easy to get all around Bermuda by buying a multi-day pass so you can ride the buses and the ferries. Have you cruised before? Just be aware that the Majesty is one of Norwegians smaller, older ships so it is very different from so many others out there now. The staff when we went were great so that made it enjoyable. When you go can be important, also. We booked last minute and went at the end of Aug., lots of children. Weather during the week was fine, but coming home we were running ahead of a hurricane and the seas were very rough and it is a small ship. No matter when you go, the Atlantic is much rougher than the Caribbean so be aware of that also if you are prone to motion sickness as I am. We did enjoy ourselves and loved Bermuda so I might do this one again if the price was right. Good luck and happy sails........
Old February 21st, 2006, 04:17 PM
First Mate

I've done this cruise on the Majesty twice and loved it.

The first time was in May, but the weather was not great and the sea was rough.

However, we managed one trip to Tobacco Bay Beach & did lots of shopping.

The following cruise was in July-------calmer seas, & great weather.

Even though the Majesty is a smaller older ship, I recommend it.

Barb
Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:47 AM
Beginner

Hi, I've heard nothing but great things about Bermuda. We just signed up for the Majesty leaving June 11th to Bermuda from Boston. I have heard the ocean can be rough on this trip at times, so make sure if you go you bring medicine. Everyone says it 's worth it, however, because Bermuda is so beautiful.

I get motion sickness on a swing so I'm hoping and praying for great weather. Reviews on NCL has been very mixed. Some people love it - some don't - however, all agree Bermuda is the best destination.

Hope this helps.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:20 AM
First Mate

Michelle,

I am also very prone to motion sickness. Beside Bonine, which worked well for me, I had a midship cabin on deck 4. Being on a lower deck will greatly reduce any motion.

Another reason for this cabin, was that I could look out the window and watch the sea closely.

As I said before, I loved this ship, and Bermuda was lovely.
Old February 28th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Beginner

Barb, Hi. I got an inside cabin on the lowest deck possible. Praying I don't get sick. I'm determined not too. I'll be armed with Bonine, ginger, wrist bands, green apples and ginger lollipops.
Old March 8th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Passenger

Default boston to bermuda

I have done this trip twice- in 1999 and 2004, both times on the Majesty, and would not hesitate to do so again. Bermuda is drop dead gorgeous, and so very different to the traffic snarled islands in the Caribbean.

Be on deck when the ship sails into St. George's, when there are only three yards clearance either side between ship and both sides of the land.

St. George's itself is stunning, civilised and clean, with some of the most amazing, courteous people on the planet.

The trip has only one downside- the pain on sailing away is almost a physical wrench: the entire ship has a brief downer as Bermuda disappears.

This one negative should in no way dissaude you from doing- and enjoying- what remains one of the most sublime travel experiences anywhere. I wish you Bon Voyage!
Old March 17th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Admiral

Have done the Boston to Bermuda TEN TIMES and hope to do it again.. Yes, I get sea sick, but I've now tale ginger tablets bought at the health food store.. and when you get to St George I go to Robertsons.. a drug store, and buy Sturgeron, a medication used by the yachtsmen...it ws recommended to me by a sailing M.D. at the hospital where I worikked. My favorite time is goijng before the kids get out of school.. the first two weeks in July and the second and t third week in September.. That said one year we had to leave a day early inSeptember because of an upcoming storm.. and another year we were sent up to Canada because of a major storm about to hiit Bermuda... and by the way if you have'n't gone to Halfax. St. John, Portland. Bar Harbor or Boston... you are missing great ports.. The last trip I spent several hours wandering around St. George seeimg beaitiful gardens, homes and views... Never have enough time...and who can miss the Swizzle Inn