Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2006, 08:30 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to redstangjt
Default Road to Hana, Maui

Just wondering if anyone has a time line on how long it takes to drive the Road to Hana, and go as far as Charles Lindbergh's gravesight? We will be in Maui all day, overnight and until around 6:00 the next day. Also is there a certain time the rental cars have to be back each day?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sailing on the Pride of America, May 20th, 2006.
Thanks,
Jeannie
Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to tk0016

I'm cruising on Pride of America as well, but leave on April 15. We booked the Road to Hana through the shore excursion on the recommendation of many seasoned travellers that I work with. Our excursion has us out for 9 hours and most of the books I've read average it between 7 and 9. But, I've been told it is difficult to drive, many of the roads are just one lane and the winds can be very powerful with only 3 feet separating your vehicle from edge of the road. We decided to book with the excursion because my employer has gone it alone several times and also taken the excursion. She said the excursion was so much better then when her and her husband went alone, they saw so much more and it was more relaxing.
Old March 25th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Passenger

The road to Hana takes about 2 1/2 hours from Kahului where the
airport is. The first 15-20 miles are pretty straight, but after that
very winding, but also very beautiful. There are several waterfalls
along the way where you can stop and, if you like, even swim. Along
the road as the previous responder mentioned, there are a lot of
one and two land bridges. If you go, be sure to stop at the Seven
Sacred Pools. They are adjacent to the ranger station just beyone
Hana. It has been a long time since I've been there, but Hana was
a pretty sleepy town with one general store. We bought sandwiches
then went across the street to a park alongside the bay. All in
all, if you are driving I'd probably say allow yourself about 4 hours
going to Hana with sightseeing stops, then 2 1/2 to 3 on your return.

Glen (papaglen000@aol.com)
Old March 25th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to redstangjt

Thank you so much for your replys, and the curvy one lane roads don't bother us, wer'e from WV and we are very accustomed to roads hanging over the mountain sides and one lane roads and bridges. We are there (Maui) a full day and until around 7:00 the next evening. A lot of people have also mentioned driving around the west end of Maui, has anyone done this one? Maui revealed suggests we start on the west side and circle from Lahaina. I'm really interested mostly in the shoreline for awesome pictures.
Thanks Again
Old March 25th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Passenger

Hi Jeannie -

My daughter was in Maui last fall. She and a friend who lives
there drove to Hana then continued all the way around. When
I was there it was recommended that you use a Jeep because
a lot of the road was dirt and gravel, but she says it's a good road
all the way around now. Don't know if you can fit it into your
schedule, but the drive up to the summit of Haleakala Crater
doesn't take too long and it's pretty breathtaking.

Glen (papaglen000@aol.com)
Old March 25th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Passenger

We did the regular road to Hana drive and they stayed on the road past the paved part onto dirt roads... it was a bit frightening driving it and you aren't supposed to take your rental car there (they won't come get you if you break down and there is nothing around) but it was the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen in my life. If you are adventurous and rent a jeep I totally suggest doing it... especially since once the road is paved again you end up at the Maui winery!!

All total, with several stops it took about 8 hours. There is also a cd you can buy or rent that talks you through the first part of the drive, explains what you are seeing and suggests where to stop.
Old March 25th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Passenger

Hi Jeannie -

Maybe my daughter was fibbing to me. If you want to get a
fairly good look go to http://www.hawaiihighways.com/photos-
Pilani-Hwy.htm. My road atlas doesn't show any road going south
of Hana and around the southern tip, but it is there! There are
some good photos on this website.

Glen
Old March 25th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Passenger

Default Road to Hana, we did.

Hi redstangjt. We did a road to Hana back in June of 2000 and it was a great trip but long drive about 3 hrs to there from Kanapaali Beach/Kapulua area in Maui. We booked a tour and a Native Hawaaian drove the van full of passengers thru very windy road, dirt, over cliffs and bridge, sometimes parking on sides of dirt road to get another vehicle to pass since only one lane road. stopped along the way to see waterfalls and it's was beautiful. Very tropical and beautiful. We went all the way to the Charles Lindberg gravesight. Since you are experienced with this kind of rather treacherous road then I recommend you drive the car yourself so you can stop whereever you want and stay to see things at your own pace. One warning though, hardly any bathroom in sight for hours so hold off drinking too much water like I did. Basically Hana is an isolated community of small houses here and there and nothing much...just to enjoy the tropical nature really.

Since you are in Maui until 7pm next day, be sure to visit the Haleakala Crater, it is awesome. Drive up the mountain to the summit and you will see clouds beneath you. Once on the summit, it is very windy and cold so have a jacket with you.
Old March 31st, 2006, 10:19 AM
Beginner

Default Road to Hana

Check out the Hana Skytrek Tour with Temptation Tours. It is expensive, but it is a good way to see Hana in short time period. The tour at 7am drives the road in a luxury van ( 6-8 people max) with many stops along the way. Then you have lunch on the black sand beach and they fly you back on a Blue Hawain helicopter - flys over Haleakala Crater. The tour that leaves at 11:15am does the opposite - fly to Hana, have lunch, drive back. They have a website www.temptationtours.com They also give a 10% discount if you pay in cash.