Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2006, 01:45 PM
First Mate

Default NCL Lowering Fare Question

I'm considering purchasing travel on a cruise on NCL in September os 06. The price for the 8 night cruise now is going to be $640 per person, including all taxes and fees. I have a few questions...

When a particualr website, such as CruiseCompete says 'this prices includes all taxes and fees', does this usually includ the $10pppd gratuity?

Is the $640 for a 8 night cruise a good deal, or would you suggest waiting until the date gets closer for booking? Do you know if NCL has a policy where they will refund the difference if the price lowers before the departure date? What is the process? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Admiral

The cruise price does NOT include the $10/day gratuity.

Good deal? As compared to what? What cabin category is it?

I find the cruise that I want and do some shopping for the lowest bottom line price.

I find that it is a crap shoot on "deals". On our next cruise, Princess dropped the price $1600/cabin. It was good for a few days and the the TA's did not know about it. I got my TA to call Princess and we got the lower rate.

Now, today, on this same cruise the prices are going up and not down.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old March 26th, 2006, 02:26 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
The cruise price does NOT include the $10/day gratuity.

Good deal? As compared to what? What cabin category is it?

I find the cruise that I want and do some shopping for the lowest bottom line price.

I find that it is a crap shoot on "deals". On our next cruise, Princess dropped the price $1600/cabin. It was good for a few days and the the TA's did not know about it. I got my TA to call Princess and we got the lower rate.

Now, today, on this same cruise the prices are going up and not down.
I dont plan on spending much time at all inside our room, so its the lowest cabin category. Inside stateroom, I guess? I'm pretty much conconcerned about getting the best value for the lowest ammount.

Good deal in terms of length of cruise, time of year, cruise line, etc.
Old March 26th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Admiral

What ship? To where?

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old March 26th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Admiral

I was about to ask the same thing, what ship to where? I am guessing it is the Star as it comes back to the LA area. Is it a good deal, sounds fair, but I wouldn't say great: will the price drop more?, maybe and maybe not; if you dealing with an online agent, which I think you are: will they let you know if there is another price drop? probably not. Does this include the $10 a day, no way!!!!

If you are happy with the price, go ahead and book it, don't keep wondering what if I had waited? If you have doubts check a little further. I would give a major TA specializing in cruises a call before deciding.
Old March 26th, 2006, 02:54 PM
First Mate

Quote:
What ship? To where?
NCL Spirit for 8 days to the West Caribbean, departing from NYC in September. I chose NYC as I won't have to pay for airfare getting two and from the port.
Old March 26th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Admiral

$640/pp bottom line is good. Excellent? No.

You might be able to shave a few bucks off it, but not very much.

If the price drops, you will get the lower rate. (Before the final payment is due.)

Just my 2 cent.

Old March 26th, 2006, 03:47 PM
First Mate

Quote:
$640/pp bottom line is good. Excellent? No.

You might be able to shave a few bucks off it, but not very much.

If the price drops, you will get the lower rate. (Before the final payment is due.)

Just my 2 cent.
Any tips on how to make a good price an excellent one?
Old March 26th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Admiral

Shop, shop, and shop.

Go to every site that you can (including the NCL site) and just fine the best bottom line deal that you can get. On cruise.com they have a "free" tour included in the price. I have talked to several companies and asked if they could make the deal a little bit sweeter. They might throw in some shipboard credit or knock a few more bucks off the price.

You also may want to consider booking a "guarantee" and you might get an upgrade for the same price.

Old March 27th, 2006, 03:31 AM
Passenger

I spoke to an NCL cruise consultant about some of our questions even though we had booked through hotwire. she told me that they would meet or beat any deal I was able to find on line. If you don't care about having a TA interceding for you, then it might be good to contact NCL directly and ask them if they can do better for you. You never know!
Old March 27th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Beginner

Default Re: NCL Lowering Fare Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumofny
I'm considering purchasing travel on a cruise on NCL in September os 06. The price for the 8 night cruise now is going to be $640 per person, including all taxes and fees. I have a few questions...

When a particualr website, such as CruiseCompete says 'this prices includes all taxes and fees', does this usually includ the $10pppd gratuity?

Is the $640 for a 8 night cruise a good deal, or would you suggest waiting until the date gets closer for booking? Do you know if NCL has a policy where they will refund the difference if the price lowers before the departure date? What is the process? Thanks!
I don't know about lowering the fare, but I think I've read that they will do this only previous to your final deposit.
I do not think it includes the gratuity. The gratuity will be charged to your shipboard account that you receive on your final night. This makes tipping much easier. You can also give people who have gone 'above and beyond' additional tips if you think they deserve them.
Jackie
Old July 7th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

we are sailing on the cruise you are looking at. we like bigger outside cabins. under a grand a person for a week is a good deal for a vacation.
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old July 7th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Admiral

Considering that you do not have any airfare and it is 8 days, yea, a grand is good for that type of cabin.