Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 28th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Captain

Default Itin change: Roatan now Guatamala

Noticed the itinerary for my Sun voyage in November is showing Roatan is now Santo Tomas Castillo, Guatamala. Anyone know why Roatan is out?
And have any of ya'll been to St. Tomas, Guatamala?
Magnolia Blossom
Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Admiral

I don't know why Roatan seems to have disappeared from NCLs itinerary. NCL was the first cruise line to use Roatan; for the most part it's a pretty popular port with beautiful beaches and great snorkeling. I don't know much about Guatamala, but from what has been posted it sounds like a little port with almost nothing to do. I would guess the same as Roatan was 8 years ago. Maybe this is a good thing, let's hope so. NMnita
Old March 28th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Royal Caribbean has acquired the rights to the "pier concession" at Roatan for about $20 million dollars. I think that's the reason you're seeing Roatan disappear from the NCL itineraries. I guess they're planning on investing a bunch of money to improve the facilities and possibly build another dock.

My uneducated guess is that this is causing problems on at least 2 fronts. 1) RCCL ships would presumably have docking rights, probably forcing the other lines to tender in.

2) I see a big increase in port fees for NCL if another cruise line "owns" the pier.

Just my guess.....
Old March 28th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Admiral

UTE, you have helped solve the mystery. Even we TAs learn things from these boards. It is too bad, as NCL really did develop the market and yes, it probably would be a tender thing like it was originally. We will be sailing into Samana which sounds like Roatan of the past. I will be sure to let everyone know how it is. Of course we already know it's DR which is quite different from Roatan. We have been to DR twice, once a land trip and once a cruise. The area is as pretty as anyplace I have ever been, but the begging and poverty is unbeleivable. NMnita
Old March 28th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Captain

I had heard about the RCL pier concession last time we were in Honduras but had forgotten about it. Yep, that probably explains it.

I'll miss Roatan. We do mission work in Honduras and any chance to visit the country is always a treat. And I so loved the massages beneath palm trees on the beach at Tabyana. Oh well, we'll just have to be positive that this is going to develop as Roatan did and Costa Maya continues to.
Old March 28th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Blossom
I had heard about the RCL pier concession last time we were in Honduras but had forgotten about it. Yep, that probably explains it.

I'll miss Roatan. We do mission work in Honduras and any chance to visit the country is always a treat. And I so loved the massages beneath palm trees on the beach at Tabyana. Oh well, we'll just have to be positive that this is going to develop as Roatan did and Costa Maya continues to.
/we don't actually do mission work, but our church does sponsor a woman who is a miisionary in Hondorus. She has been there for quite a few years now. When she returns and visits us we love to hear her stories about the country and the people who live and worship there. Not all the stories are positive for sure, but they are amazing. We will really miss the port. Now it is time, as I have said, for NCL to change their itinerary sailing out of Houston and NOLA> NMNita
Old March 28th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Passenger

What a shame! We took the Feb 12 th W. Carribean on the Dawn and Roatan was my favorite port! I would love to visit Honduras again!

We did the dolphin encounter and snorkeling there too. The countryside was so beautiful and we found the people to be very friendly. It really looks like they are doing so much construction and building up the island.
I definetly think this is going to be a very big vacation spot in the future!

We actually took a cab on our own (left the tour group, after the Dolphin encounter ) to a place to snorkel. We were a little apprehensive when the driver dropped us off and asked us what time he should come back to get us -- he was a man of his word and came back early and sat in a nearby shore restaurant. We were pleasantly relieved!

I'm sure the replacement port will be good as well, but I think it's a too bad that NCL will not be stopping there anymore.