Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 1st, 2006, 10:11 PM
Passenger

Default false advertising? you tell me

Just to let everyone know, my neice and two of her friends left Saturday April 1 out of Houston for a 7 day cruise stopping at Cozumel, Roatan, Belize and Cancun. They got to the ship and was told that they were not going to stop in Cancun. The cruise line used its power to take away a stop that had been advertised for months and the reasoning was last years weather.....but when I was called it was still listed as stopping at all stops, well until I called the travel agent and the cruise line. So I would check before booking your cruise. I do hope that everyone who reads this calls and questions the cruise line about this type of policy.
Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2006, 10:23 AM
Admiral

While we all know the cruise line contract entitles them to change or cancel ports without compensation, I think it is a very poor business practice to fail to provide advance notice to passengers of a change in intinerary so they may plan their trip accordingly. No one likes to have these kind of surprises sprung on them especially when the cruiseline has advanced notice and simply chooses to keep their clients in the dark.
Sometimes unavoidable problems occur that no one can foresee and we all should try to be as understandable and flexible as possible, but in this case it certainly did not seem to be the case. While I know it was annoying, I hope they didn't allow missing Cancun to ruin their whole trip. I can say that of all the ports on this cruise, Cancun would be the one I would choose to miss if I had to make a choice.
But I agree with you that they should have done a better job. They had ample opportunity to let passengers know they would not be going to Cancun and should have done so.
These types of customer service problems, where few at NCL seem to have the authority or the desire to take the initiative to care for these types of issues, is a pattern that seems to repeat itself again and again. The problems only seem to get remedied after a customer becomes frustrated and angry and escalates the issue until NCL is forced to do something.
I know these situations arise with all cruise lines from time to time, but I have seen more disorganization with NCL than any others. Its a shame too, because they have a lot to offer and I love the "freestyle" concept and our ship was gorgeous. I wouldn't think twice about cruising them again, the only thing that holds me back a little and give their competition a slight edge is the way they handle these sorts of problem, and I dread dealing with their call center employees.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 11:31 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
While we all know the cruise line contract entitles them to change or cancel ports without compensation, I think it is a very poor business practice to fail to provide advance notice to passengers of a change in intinerary so they may plan their trip accordingly. No one likes to have these kind of surprises sprung on them especially when the cruiseline has advanced notice and simply chooses to keep their clients in the dark.
Sometimes unavoidable problems occur that no one can foresee and we all should try to be as understandable and flexible as possible, but in this case it certainly did not seem to be the case. While I know it was annoying, I hope they didn't allow missing Cancun to ruin their whole trip. I can say that of all the ports on this cruise, Cancun would be the one I would choose to miss if I had to make a choice.
But I agree with you that they should have done a better job. They had ample opportunity to let passengers know they would not be going to Cancun and should have done so.
These types of customer service problems, where few at NCL seem to have the authority or the desire to take the initiative to care for these types of issues, is a pattern that seems to repeat itself again and again. The problems only seem to get remedied after a customer becomes frustrated and angry and escalates the issue until NCL is forced to do something.
I know these situations arise with all cruise lines from time to time, but I have seen more disorganization with NCL than any others. Its a shame too, because they have a lot to offer and I love the "freestyle" concept and our ship was gorgeous. I wouldn't think twice about cruising them again, the only thing that holds me back a little and give their competition a slight edge is the way they handle these sorts of problem, and I dread dealing with their call center employees.
you are 1/2 right, but not totally. Celebrity is the worst at changing ports and not notifying anyone. I will say they correct it on their website. You are correct, NCL should have it changed on the site,: Not going to Cancun really shouldn't be that big of a deal, but if someone thinks they are going to a port of course they will be disappointed. NCL needs to pull it from their website. Ido have to question one thing as for false advertising: I just pulled 3 files for 3 different clients I have sailing on the Dream this year. In every case the itinerary says nothing about Cancun. I wonder how long ago they booked and if they used a TA. If they used a TA she/he should have let them know about the removal of Cancun. all agents know this. Again, I am not defending NCL. BTW: I don't know how long since you used their call center, but I have very good luck with them. Do you book yourself or use an agent; online or otherwise. I get the impression from everything I read we agents talk to the more experienced reps. NMNita
Old April 2nd, 2006, 11:45 AM
Admiral

Default Re: false advertising? you tell me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomastic
Just to let everyone know, my neice and two of her friends left Saturday April 1 out of Houston for a 7 day cruise stopping at Cozumel, Roatan, Belize and Cancun. They got to the ship and was told that they were not going to stop in Cancun. The cruise line used its power to take away a stop that had been advertised for months and the reasoning was last years weather.....but when I was called it was still listed as stopping at all stops, well until I called the travel agent and the cruise line. So I would check before booking your cruise. I do hope that everyone who reads this calls and questions the cruise line about this type of policy.
If they booked though a TA she/he should have reviewed the itinerary with them. I have 3 clients (different ones) going on the Dream, all know Cancun has been removed due to the damage suffered during last falls hurricanes. You are correct about pulling the information. NCL should correct their website. Supposidly, they are rebuilding the website soon (it needs to be rebuilt) maybe things will improve then. BTW, I am not defending NCL on this one, but am questioning the TA. We all know Cancun was pulled months ago. Both the TA and NCL are at fault. When the TA gets the printout of the reservation via fax or whatever means Cancun does not show as one of the ports. NMNita Too all of you, I just talked to NCL, no, not mis advertising: NCL was hoping Cancun would be open for tourist this week. Now, they are shooting for 4/15. I just thought you would all want to know this. Let's cross our fingers. NMnita
Old April 2nd, 2006, 08:16 PM
Passenger

Default Norwegian Dream

I was on NOrwegian Dream last Sept. doing a 16 nt. cruise in Panama Canal and we were supposed to stop at Puerta Vallerta but did not and stopped at Acapulca and on to Cabon San Lucas, but a hurricane was coming to Cabo San Lucas and so we had to go on. We arrived very late back at Houston but Norwegian gave us $200 on board credit towards our next cruise and they paid for our bus transportation to the airport. The captain told us that their schedules of ports are made a year beforehand and this ship had been having engine trouble for quite sometime, so had to delete some ports and of course no one is told of this when booking. Anyway it worked out okay for us but for people who were getting on in HOuston and doing a 7 day cruise, we heard while on the ship, that they would not be stopping at two of those ports as well, what a disappointment for people. I have travelled with Norwegian 7 times and just on Norwegian Dawn out of New York inMarch, but I tell you, the line is going downhill, we saw lots of things different, food, caribbean night on the deck, chocolate buffet, not as good as they used to be. I think from now on we will go with Princess, we went with them last March and everything was very good.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 09:56 PM
Admiral

travelnut, we are going on the Sun in two weeks: I will be anxious to report back. On another board most are saying opposite of you, NCL is better than ever except for food. Apparently they were using a new menu for 3 months as many had asked for more chicken and fish and less red meat. The experiment ended a couple of days ago; lets see what they decide to do: go back to the old menus or continue offering less meat. I also have heard the chocolate buffet has gone down hill. DH went to the one on the Jewel last Sept and was not impressed except for the beauty of it. I am not concerned as the last 3 lines i have been on had NO BUFFET of any kind. As the prices stay down and the cost of fuel and food keep increasing the quality will continue to go down. Just read the reviews on Celebrity of all lines: bad outweighs good. Of course I also think part of this has to do with many of us being cruised out. I don't mean we don't want to cruise anymore, but the glamour is fading and we are much more judgemental. We did Celebrity in Dec and were not overwelmed at all. We had a good time, cruising is always fun, but the old charm is gone. NMNIta
Old April 2nd, 2006, 11:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to nycruiser

Cruise lines usually advise the TA of any change in ports. The key word is usually!!! I just had someone on Carnival Destiny and apparantly the ship is having engine problems for months so Carnival altered the itrinerary. No ONE ever contacted me! I am the TA and I went over my clients documents which had the old itinerary. of course the client thinks its my fault but its not! Bottom line when we all sign our cruise ticket we ACCEPT their game rules which usually states they can change the itinerary at a moments notice.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 06:34 AM
Passenger

I understand what most of you are saying, but the hurricane happened last September, not a month ago. They have had 7months to take the stop in Cancun off the web site and also contact the travel agent, but didnt do either. I personally have taken 4 cruises and have gotten my 5th one booked, so I know and understand that things can happen. 7months sounds like a long time to advertise something that they arent going to do.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:19 AM
Beginner

I also have a friend who is on this cruise and checked out the itinerary on NCL's website just before she went and it mentioned nothing about a change in itinerary - but then they don't do they! I also checked it out on several online booking agencies I use and none of them showed any change either. I wonder what they are doing instead; just cruising around the Caribbean spending money on a ship I have been on and rechristened "Nightmare" or are they going to an alternate port of call?
Travelnut was nearly right when he said NCL are going downhill - the truth is they have reached the bottom and I too am sticking to Princess in future.
Cheers. Paul
Old April 3rd, 2006, 04:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

While I can understand your friends being upset, I don't think NCL can be totally blamed for this one. NCL had previously announced that Cancun was being eliminated as a port of call for the ships sailing prior to April, but that it would be reinstated for the April sailings. When they made that announcement, I think they were really anticipating that they would be able to resume the stops at Cancun in April, but it didn't happen.

The problem is that Cancun is taking SSSOOO much longer to reopen than anyone had anticipated. From what I've read, the Mexican govt. kept saying it would be mostly open by Christmas -- that date came and went with a lot of the resorts still closed. Then it was announced that it would be reopen by spring break time -- there were more resorts open, but still a bunch of them closed.

Apparently there are 2 main issues that are requiring this stop to be eliminated. Cancun has always been a tender port, and the tender boats are currently being utiized in Cozumel, as the piers there are still not open either. The second is that the hurricane significantly damaged the ocean floor, and they have got to rechart the ship's path. Neither of those factors are NCL's fault.

Should NCL have been able to state a little earlier that the April Cancun sailings were cancelled also? Probably, but would it have made any difference if your niece knew in advance? I agree that it's probably not a good business practice, but unless your niece booked really last minute, they probably were expecting to be able to stop at Cancun when she purchased her cruise.

By the way, I also agree with the poster who said that you're not missing much by not stopping in Cancun anyway. We've been there twice while the Sea was doing this same itinerary, and I wouldn't even bother to get off the ship if we ever went back. I know lots of people who love Cancun for a land vacation, but I think's a wasted stop for a cruise ship.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomastic
I understand what most of you are saying, but the hurricane happened last September, not a month ago. They have had 7months to take the stop in Cancun off the web site and also contact the travel agent, but didnt do either. I personally have taken 4 cruises and have gotten my 5th one booked, so I know and understand that things can happen. 7months sounds like a long time to advertise something that they arent going to do.
No one is argueing the facts with you, what is being said is: 1-normally TAs do know about changes (not always) in this case Yes, we all knew and nunber 2-Cancun was expected to be added this week, now they are shooting for 4/15. Please no not assume they did not contact the TA, everyone of us have known for months the Cancun port is not open. As NYcruiser stated, usually, but not always; this can happen. In this case, as I said we have known for months the port isn't up and running. I also, as I said have checked 3 clients itineraries for later dates and none list Cancun. NCL should remove the information from the website: no excuse: TAs should inform their clients when the know: no excuse. In this case both are wrong. Someone back a few responses ago said they checked several on line agencies, they all show Cancun, does this tell anyone, anything about on line companies?? NMNita