Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 25th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Passenger

Default Glacier Bay Cruise from Seattle

Glacier Bay cruise from Seattle - My husband and I, along with my brother and sister and their spouses are going to Alaska from Seattle on the Norwegian Star, July 16th. I was checking to see if anyone had done the Helicopter and Glacier walk in Juneau as well as the White Pass rail ride in Skagway. Want to make reservations, however, am concerned if the ship doesn't arrive at the dock on time, will we lose our money for excursions. The Glacier trek indicates "nonrefundable". Has anyone experienced delays on this cruise where they were't able to meet the excursion???? Norwegian Cruise Lines tells me this doesn't happen. Would like info 1st hand from someone who has done this.
Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Beginner

We loved the Heli/Glacier Walk in Juneau. If you book on the ship you won't have to worry about being late. The White Pass train, we waited until in port and purchased a ticket. Worth doing at least once. Scenery is beautiful. Book & Have fun!
Old May 7th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Passenger

Thank you so much. We will book right away.
Old May 10th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Captain

We did the White Rail and loved it. It was a crystal clear day, not a cloud in the sky so the scenery was spectacular. Don't forget your sunglasses!

In Juneau we did an excursion we booked through the ship (although it was on RCCL that time) that was a sea plane which viewed six or seven glaciers and dropped you off at a cabin directly across from an advancing glacier where we had the best meal I've ever eaten - fresh caugh salmon, of course. Then they picked us up, and took us home via a different route so we could see other glaciers. The second time we booked independently and did a sea plane tour of the highland areas with a terrific pilot named Michelle. I'll have to search my memory for the name of her company but I learned about her on this site so you ought to be able to find her through the destinations area. She put us down on an alpine lake where we were able to get out and walk around, drink from a mountain stream and water the wildflowers (if you know what I mean). On the way back we followed a river where she said she frequently saw orca and sure enough we saw 3 pods of orcas, a total of about 15 or so beautiful animals. She circled and circled until everyone had their fill. Great lady.