CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Norwegian Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/)
-   -   HELP!----What exactly does "Resort Casual" Mean??? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/313192-help-what-exactly-does-resort-casual-mean.html)

Angela D April 29th, 2006 01:46 PM

HELP!----What exactly does "Resort Casual" Mean???

Hello Everyone!
I am new to this board----& Cruising will be a new experience for my hubby & I!----I am the planner in the family---& we will be taking our first cruise---NCL---next summer to Alaska on the STAR----I've researched a lot already & feel when the time comes---we can be prepared to make the most of this trip----I'm struggling tho with what to bring / wear? I've tried to look up on the Internet---what "resort casual" wear is??? But there are no difinitive definitions that I can find----I know that the "freestyle" concept is going to be our style----to me---vacations are times to "lay low" relax & not dress up---but we want to be appropriate & comfortable.
We're not adverse to one "dress up" nite---Any suggestions or recommendations about cruising in general will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks to all!
Angela D---a "jeans & T shirt" kind of gal

525600 April 29th, 2006 08:02 PM

Resort casual is, for example, cropped khaki pants, summer tops - nothing too fancy yet not denim.

Does that help?! :)

Angela D April 29th, 2006 11:51 PM

Thanks a lot----Again, not having been on a cruise---I'm not sure what to expect---In most of my searching---I'm getting the idea that khakis, sweaters, turtlenecks, jacket or blazer may be the ticket----no jeans.
I appreciate you responding.
:D

Magnolia Blossom April 30th, 2006 12:36 PM

I thought they defined it on their web site but maybe I'm incorrect about that. But men must wear a shirt with a collar and slacks. Women can wear slacks, capris or skirts. No denim.

My best advice for packing to Alaska (we've done 2 cruises there) is to bring long sleeved tee shirts, a sweater or sweatshirt or two and a lightweight waterproof jacket with a hood. Dress in layers and bring a backpack on excursions so you've got a place to put your extra layers.
Weather can change very quickly. I remember cruising the glaciers and being a popsicle, bundled up with only my nose sticking out and 30 minutes later as we got closer to the glacier being down to just my tee shirt and gloves. Well, okay, I did still have my jeans on.

It's a magnificent trip and being able to dine freestyle makes it that much nicer. There are times when you are cruising an area right at supper time and it's so nice to know you're not missing out on either your dining experience or glorious scenery. Enjoy!

nmnita April 30th, 2006 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angela D
Thanks a lot----Again, not having been on a cruise---I'm not sure what to expect---In most of my searching---I'm getting the idea that khakis, sweaters, turtlenecks, jacket or blazer may be the ticket----no jeans.
I appreciate you responding.
:D

You are about right on: stay away from jeans at night in the dining room as well as shorts and tank tops or athletic clothes. I am sure the shorts and tank tops wouldn't be a question when you are sailing to Alaska even in the summer. Guys will be wearing lots of open collared shirts or sweaters and gals capris, nice slacks, skirts etc with coordinating tops. For formal optional night you can choose to dress a little nicer, a cute dress for gals and slacks and sport jacket for men. Some will be dressed to the nines, this is up to you, but don't feel you need to NMNita

Angela D May 1st, 2006 08:55 AM

Thanks to all!
I think I have the idea---All your comments have been helpful.
We are looking forward to the trip----It is quite awhile off---but anticipation is a big part of it!
Angela D

Brooke276 May 15th, 2006 03:58 PM

Angela,

I SO agree! We have booked the Star from May 12-19 next year to Alaska, which is a year away, and I am DYING already!! I cannot wait to get on that ship....They always say time goes by so fast, but this will be the longest year ever!