Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Passenger

Default News from NCL about alcohol

I just spoke with NCL and asked if we can bring wine for friends Anniversary and she said yes as long as you agree to pay $15 corckage.

I asked what about screwed on cups? She said you can bring anything as long as you agree on $15.

She also said we CAN bring water and juices.

Should I call again and ask if it is correct ? Confusion...
Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Beginner

wow. that is so weird they charge you for that!!! lol

I bet that does not unclude hard liquor tho.
Old May 4th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Captain

It's always been my understanding that you could bring non-alcoholic beverages without restrictions. And over the years the corkage fee on wine has gone from $10 to $15, but I don't think it includes hard liquor.
Even so, unless you've got some reeealy good stuff you're bringing on board you usually do better to request a bar set up once on board.
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Passenger

She said bar is set up so you can see chart price and indulge. But I am not going broke over it...still researching smuggling...
Old May 4th, 2006, 03:46 PM
First Mate

The corkage fee applies to wine that is consumed in the dinning room. A twist off cap may be the kind of wine you enjoy at home, but if it is consumed in the dinning room it is $15.00 per bottle. They, (NCL) are not implying that you can bring liquor on board.
I usually bring four bottles of wine on each cruise. $15.00 is worth it when you look at paying around $30.00 for a bottle off the wine list and still have to pay 15% gatuity.
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Passenger

wait-a-minute, reverend,
you have to BUY wine first...it is let say $15 plus corcage $15 what are we saving here?

I will call again and ask about hard liquor...she thought I will ask to unscrew WINE cup? She said 'you can bring anyhting' but I didn't get her name.

What if I pour vodka into Ziplock bag and stuff shoes with it? What do you think?
Old May 5th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Sounds like a good cure for athletes foot. Good Luck, !
Old May 6th, 2006, 12:18 PM
First Mate

TLoony, I know the math does not sound right. Here's my secret. For whatever reason, people seem to like to bring me wine as a gift. I bring the free wine to the ship, and enjoy it there. At other times, I bring a favorite wine that I buy and bring it with me.
When I purchase the wine at home, I may end up spending a dollar or two more than buying a bottle on the ship, but I know what I am getting and I save the 15% gratuity.
If you really enjoy wine, it is worth it.
One thing to remember is no matter what "they" tell you on the phone, the person checking bags at the terminal will have a different understanding.
NCL does take good care of your wine however once it is on the ship. I had to sign a slip for the corakage fee at the security check point on my last NCL cruise.
Old May 6th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Beginner

I live in NY and any halfway decent restaurant will charge a minimum of $30-40 per bottle of wine. To bring your own wine on baord, perferably some good stuff and only be charged a $15 corkage fee - which is also a great price - is a steal. If you consume 5 botles over an 8 day trip you are only paying $75 instead of actually buyingthe bottles on baord and paying anywhere from $150 and up

I have done this almost everywhere I go and it has always worked out in my favor.

PS You are only charged the corkage fee NOT for the wine since it is your wine and you brought it with you. If you buy a bottle of wine on board they DON'T charge you a corkage fee. A corkage fee is only for those bottles of wine that are not purchased on the ship.
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Admiral

I guess there is some part of the OPs message I don't understand. What is it that sounds confusing? Cut and dry, which should be no surprise as this subject is discussed constantly: $15 corkage fee whether it is a twist top or a cork: that has been the NCL policy for a few years now. It is charged up front when you walk on the ship. If the wine is in your luggage you will be notified to come and claim it. Soda and water have always been allowed on ship with no additional charge and hard liquior never is. I agree with reverand and others: a good bottle of wine will cost $30.00 to $40 on board especailly after gratuity. That makes the $15 a good deal. Of course if you usually drink wine that is about $8 to $10 a bottle which we do it is a better deal.

Nita
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Admiral

I guess there is some part of the OPs message I don't understand. What is it that sounds confusing? Cut and dry, which should be no surprise as this subject is discussed constantly: $15 corkage fee whether it is a twist top or a cork: that has been the NCL policy for a few years now. It is charged up front when you walk on the ship. If the wine is in your luggage you will be notified to come and claim it. Soda and water have always been allowed on ship with no additional charge and hard liquior never is. I agree with reverand and others: a good bottle of wine will cost $30.00 to $40 on board especailly after gratuity. That makes the $15 a good deal. Of course if you usually drink wine that is about $8 to $10 a bottle which we do it is a better deal.

Nita
Old May 12th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Passenger

When I cruised with Celebrity I had two bottles of wine in my carry-on and nobody at the terminal said anything. Do they nail you on NCL? I like to enjoy a nice glass of wine in my room before dinner.
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurid
When I cruised with Celebrity I had two bottles of wine in my carry-on and nobody at the terminal said anything. Do they nail you on NCL? I like to enjoy a nice glass of wine in my room before dinner.
yes, they do and it is my biggest gripe about NCL. Many of the lines are starting to crack down on the hard stuff but not wine. If you bring it on board you will have to pay the $15 corkage fee regardless. The only option is to put it in your luggage and hope it makes it through without you being asked to come and claim it. NMNita
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Passenger

We have brought 2 bottles wine in a carryon and not had any trouble consuming it in our room before sailaway or any other time and have NOT paid the corkage fee because it was not consumed in the dining room. As others have said it is only hard liquor that they are very strict about.
Old May 13th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well....This was my experience on NCL Dream. I had two bottles of wine in my suitcase, wrapped in bubble wrap and I had placed it in the center of my "bundle" pack. Either they didn't see it when the luggage was scan or they didn't want to waste they time, figuring out how to get to it. With bundle packing it isn't easy to get to something in the middle unless you take everything out. (Learned this method on Cruise Diva) OR it was just a hit or miss. We had a group of 5 families and only one got "caught" with his wine, inwhich he had to go down and claim his luggage.
When boarding the ship I had my sister's two bottles of wine in my carry on which they saw when they scanned it and asked me if I had wanted to pay the $15 corkage fee or they would hold it until the end of the cruise.
I did have some soda and bottle water which they let me go on with.
Our travel agent arranged ahead of time for each of us to have a bottle of wine delivered to our cabin, a gesture of thanks for booking with her and we did not get charged a corkage fee for it, and we brought one each night to our dinning table.
My brother-in-law did put some hard liquer in two flasks and had them in his suitcase,which pass through also. Maybe he was just Lucky also!
Monarch of the Seas Jan. 2005 Baja Calif.
NCL Dream Nov. 2005 Western Caribbean
Monarch of the Seas Mar 2006 Baja Calif.
NCL Star Oct. 2006 Mexican Riviera
NCL Pearl Nov. 2007 Southern Caribbean
Mariner of the Seas May 2009 Pacific Coastal
Mariner of the Seas June 2009 Mexican Riviera
RCI Radiance of the Seas
Old May 14th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Passenger

What is bundle packing????
Old May 14th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

It's just a packing method. I tried it on our 4th cruise because I wanted to cut down on our luggages. I was able to eliminate one suitcase! To get instructions go to www.packinglight.net. Scroll down to Help Center (near the end of the page) and click on it. Then click onto Packing Mehtod. Due to the large bundles you are making your clothes will have very few, if any, wrinkles in them.
Monarch of the Seas Jan. 2005 Baja Calif.
NCL Dream Nov. 2005 Western Caribbean
Monarch of the Seas Mar 2006 Baja Calif.
NCL Star Oct. 2006 Mexican Riviera
NCL Pearl Nov. 2007 Southern Caribbean
Mariner of the Seas May 2009 Pacific Coastal
Mariner of the Seas June 2009 Mexican Riviera
RCI Radiance of the Seas