Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Familiar Face

Default Why the high taxes on all NCL bookings?

I have noticed that, invariably, NCL cruises have the highest levels of taxes and fees attributable to each sailing. When I go to most of the online booking sites, the NCL cruise fares seem to be lower than most of the other major cruise lines, but when you go through the booking process, hundreds of dollars of taxes and fees are always added. When I compare to Princess, RCCL,etc., their taxes are generally a fraction of NCL's.
Does anybody know why this is the case?
Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Why the high taxes on all NCL bookings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsnhc
I have noticed that, invariably, NCL cruises have the highest levels of taxes and fees attributable to each sailing. When I go to most of the online booking sites, the NCL cruise fares seem to be lower than most of the other major cruise lines, but when you go through the booking process, hundreds of dollars of taxes and fees are always added. When I compare to Princess, RCCL,etc., their taxes are generally a fraction of NCL's.
Does anybody know why this is the case?
Sorry, but I am a TA as most of you know and the taxes and fees have nothing to do with the cruise line; they are the same for all lines. The difference may be with the particular itinerary. Port fees are controlled by the ports a ship sails to: as most of us know NCL is considered a very port intensive line, same as Celebrity so the port charges will always be a little higher, this applies to the government taxes as well.

NMNita
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Beginner

I have had the same experience. A 999 Royal Carribean cruise comes out cheaper than an NCL $749 cruise. I am about to take my first NCL cruise, which prices similar to Carnival. The price attracts you, but the payment due is hundreds of dollars higher.
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNIS
I have had the same experience. A 999 Royal Carribean cruise comes out cheaper than an NCL $749 cruise. I am about to take my first NCL cruise, which prices similar to Carnival. The price attracts you, but the payment due is hundreds of dollars higher.
Tennis, as I said in my earlier response, there are no differences; taxes and fees are not set my any cruise line. What is the difference, especially with RCI is the ports. NCL is a port intensive cruise line thus normally will have one or more ports than RCI. RCI and Carnival offer the fewest posts. No matter what appears to be the case charges are never set by the cruise line. NMNita
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:48 PM
First Mate

Hi,
Another vital factor in all this is 1/ Fare 2/ Port charges 3/ Government taxes....Some lines show their on line cost as $XXX + taxes;; this means they INCLUDE fare & port charges in one amount before the '' + taxes''.
Others will show their fare by itself ++ ''taxes and port charges''....
Same bottom line, but a vastly different eye catching device.
With an exemple of a fare cost of $799.00, port charges of $ 221.00 and government taxes of $ 39.84, what looks more appealing to a consumer:
'' Price from $ 799.00 + all charges and taxes '' OR " price of $1020.00
+ 39.84 taxes "" ???.

Similar to a classic airline advertisement;'' low fare FRom $99.00 "...what they do not readily tell you is: 1/ it is one way , 2/ it is FROM $99.00, 3/ taxes are extra. By the time you purchase a ticket from A to B and return, you end up paying close to $ 4xx.xx......

It's all in the fine prints....

Cheers
CG

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old May 16th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Admiral

Sealegs got it right.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08