Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default NCL SPIRIT-JUST RETURNED, OUR REVIEW

We just got back from a 1 week cruise on the Spirit on Sunday, 5/7/06. We had a great time and were really pleased with the ship and the crew.
Here are our notes:
1.) Embarkation: The ship was late coming in the day that we were to board. We arrived at the pier at 11 am but the ship did not arrive until later due to high seas off shore. We went into the city and did a walking tour. When we returned at 2pm the ship was there and in the process of dembarkation. NCL had us sit in the waiting room and we boarded quickly through the Lattitudes line. Our bags got to the room about an hour later
2.) The ship: It is beautiful. Well laid out and very comfortable. Most public rooms were larger than other ships that we have been on.
3.) Food: Excellent, we did not have a bad meal. We used all of the specialty restaurants and found them to be a great value. We were surprised to find that if you book specialty restaurants between 6-7pm you can get them for 1/2 price on designated evenings BUT you have to do this as soon as you get on board since they book fast!
4.) Room: we had a basic room but it was large and comfortable. No problems here. Stewards were excellent. We had many towel animals during the week which seems to be a criterion for excellence from what we read on the boards.
5.) Excursions: Seemed a bit pricey so we did our own thing. Please note that there is a limited amount of time available in Nassau. Not enough time to do much
6.) Bars and public rooms. We found that these rooms were larger and more abundant than other ships we have sailed. The GAlaxy of the Stars/Observatory was very popular and the Maharini's night club was very glamorous. Both have nice dancefloors. The only bad part was that many young parents brought their 4-7 year olds out to dance by themselves on the dancefloors while the adults were trying to dance at up to 12:30 am! I am not sure what they were thinking but it made it hard to dance while we were worrying about stepping on a small child.
7.) Speaking of children, we were very impressed by the water play area on the back of the ship. There are slides and fountains and a nice play room. We would like to take our grandson the next time.
8.) Exercise room and running track: They have great equipment and I especially like the two Aqua-Swim pools. Most people were using these as whirlpools however. The running track on deck 13 is nice but too many walkers use this without yeilding to joggers as noted on the track.
9.) Entertainment: Top notch jugglers and comedians from The Second
City Troupe. Great Singers too.
OVERALL: We had a great time. The crew was great

-Jim
Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Beginner

Default Can't wait

Reading your revoew makes Sept. seem soooo.............. far away.
Thanks for a good review.

Dawn 4/05
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Beginner

Thanks for the review. I am going on the Spirit 5/20 and cannot wait!!! Glad to hear you had a great time and about how nice the ship is.
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Passenger

Jim:

I am going on the Spirit on June 3rd and I loved your review. One question I have is can I bring my own hair blow dryer with me. Do I need an adaptor and/or a converter?

Thank you,
Ronnie
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Hair dryers

Ronnie,
Yes, You can bring your own hair dryer and you will not need an adapter as long as you use the one outlet designed for U.S. style plugs located under the mirror in the stateroom (directly over the desk area).

There is the standard hair dryer located in the bathroom which is identical to the ones we have seen on every other NCL ship that we have cruised (beige colored box with a flexible hose that is about 2 feet long) I used this one each day and my wife used her personal dryer plugged in at the mirror location noted above.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

-Jim
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Passenger

One more question:

Was your wife's hairdryer 1875 Watts? I am just so afraid of blowing a fuse that will affect my entire floor but I know that the hairdryer on the ship will not work for me.

Thanks again,
Ronnie

PS. Did you bring a Power Surge?
Old May 11th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Hair dryers

Ronnie,
No, the hair dryer that we took was only 1200 watts. My wife has short hair so that is all we needed. Also, we did not take a surge protector, but that sounds like a good idea.
-Jim
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Hi RONNIENJ4,

This is from the NCL site:

Quote:
Will I need an electrical converter?

The current on board is 110 volts AC. However, some high-voltage hair dryers, electric rollers and electric razors may require a converter.
I don't know if this will help you, but there it is !

Have a great cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Passenger

Jim, welcome home, glad to see that your parking went well and thank you for your review. We head off on Spirit a week from today. Looking forward to a great cruise....
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Passenger

Just remembered I do have a question for you. Do they do the barbevuse on deck in afternoon like they do on te Dawn? They used to barbecue some great ribs on giant charcola grills when we sailed Dawn a couple fo years ago.
Old May 13th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Barbeque

George,
Yes they do the barbeque on the forward deck next to the Trivoli Pool. This seems to be a "trademark" meal on NCL as we have seen the same type of food served on every ship that we have been on. They serve barbeque ribs, chicken, sausage, hot dogs, hamburgers and assorted salads, etc.

While we are on the subject of food, don't forget to try the "Blue Lagoon". This specialty restaurant is free and open 24 hours/day, although one of the waitresses told us that they do close for a few hours each night to clean. This restaurant serves all kinds of "snack/fast food" from Buffalo-styled chicken wings to Chinese food. I have to admit, coming from Buffalo, the wings were not really the original style but they were tasty none the less. One tip however, a single order of wings equals three pieces with some celery and blue cheese dressing. If you want more, tell the waitress to make it a double or triple order. We saw some people ordering a dozen at a time.

The other things on the menu at this location are: fried potato skins, hamburgers and fries, won ton soup (excellent), Singapore fried rice, shepherds pie, chef salad and assorted desserts. This is a small place with only about 8 tables located on deck 7. There are more tables located outside on the promenade deck, weather permitting. You do sit at the tables and give your order to the servers. The menus are on each table. It is very informal and very popular. Especially for late-night snacks and breakfasts.
-Jim
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Admiral

I hope we can cruise on the Spirit one of these days, either her or the Star.

Old May 16th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Passenger

Jim, Thanks for the information, I will be a happy man It won't be long now, time to start packing soon.

May 20th sailing...