Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2006, 07:56 PM
First Mate

Default Getting on, getting off NCL Spirit in NYC

Ship departs at 4pm... what time should I get to the terminal?

Ship arrives back to port at 10am... what time should I plan on getting off and actually through customs?

I plan on taking the subway from JFK into the city and walking to the port. Can I walk up righ to the pier, or do I have to enter through a building to again access to the piers? Where is this building at streetwise? What port does Spirit usually dock at?
Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Admiral

We arrived at the cruise terminal at 11:30 and did not have to wait too long at all.
Disembarcation is fine as long as you are a U.S. Citizen and are travelling only with U.S. Citizens which should get you off the ship before noon. Otherwise it was a nightmare in March.
Old May 30th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Getting on, getting off NCL Spirit in NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumofny
Ship departs at 4pm... what time should I get to the terminal?
Frankly there is NO set answer! Earlier is better at this point. We just sailed Spirit May 20th sailing and returned May 18th. On 20th 3 ships were in and NY City held culinary event closing several streets near pier. We drove in and parked at pier, expecting traffic problems and such we left early and drove 40 some miles in 50 minutes. It then took 1.5 hours to go last mile, ship in sight. Ramp up to pier drop off literally moving by inches. Ship didn't sail until after 5 pm and people still getting onboard up to the minute gangway pulled.

On return we were disembarked by 10 am. Only one ship in due to Lgend being delayed by guy that jumped overboard and subsequent 12 hour delay. Those that arrived for Legend didn't get onboard until that evening. There just isn't any way to guage it any longer.

By the way we were tied to dock by about 8:30 am.

Looking back on our sailing it would have been better to have arrived and parked at 8 am and just sat there and waited for a few hours in the comfort of my car in the parking space versus the slow crawl and increased concerns of uncontrollable traffic situation.

So I have to say now you just can't gett here too early anymore. NY pier has become the pits like most of the rotten apple.

George in NY
Old May 30th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Passenger

Obviously my return date was 28th, typo. I forgot to answer about pier entrance. Yes you can enter from street. You will be at street levele and elevator is there to take up to boarding level. There is also an escalator but the do not allow baggage on escalator other than carry on.

If you are walking I presume you are not traveling with much luggage. That will probably allow you to take advantage of express disembarkation which starts early after arrival. Express means that you must be able to carry ALL your luggage off ship and not have put anything out night before to be delivered to luggage area. You will not be able to gain access to luggage area at all using express since you and your luggage will not enter actual pier areas but be screened by customs and passed through directly to the street.

George in NY