Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 18th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Admiral

Default You want the truth!!

We wre on the Majesty 9/10 for the 11th tme.. and I want to tell you it was pretty bad...compared to other years..First, we would NEVER do the buffets upstairs..and I have a story about that too.. The only buffet that is worthwhile is the "sail-a-ways" when they have a barbecue with fabulous ribs..A new menu had been installed and I am now of the opinion that although the menu was limited and the quality on this ship poor. I realize it was up to the Head Chief, who I never spotted. Breakfasts although looked hot were cold, eggs tasted terrible..Choices were very limited at all meals...Even their famous Chocolate Buffet was a major disappointment from other years.. Did we tell anybody? We certainly did.. first the LATTITUDES person who took notes on the back of a small card.. Then we went to the Restaurant/Hotel Manager who seemed to take our complaint seriously but it was out of his hands.. except for the cold food which should have been hot.. Then we called the complaint line of Lattitudes and I voiced my opinion about the garbage that was being served..After more than 14 cruises with NCL.. I will not cruise them until their menus are changed..As a p.s. I read the menu on line of one of the ships that goes to Hawaii... and it appeared to have many more selections. Yes, we did go to the Pasta restauratn which had been booked by cruisers the first day and found it the best meal we had on the ship that entire week..
Old October 19th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

ParrotMom -- I read on another board that they are supposed to be implementing new menus by the end of November. Someone was on the Majesty the first part of October, and said that their sailing was the first week for the new menus. She didn't have a lot of information, but did note that several of the complaints -- like chilled soups being eliminated at dinner -- were being addressed.

We sail on the Jewel on 11/5, and I'm hoping they will implement the new menus for that sailing, as it will be the first one from Miami this year. It sounds like several of the ships are getting the new menus as they switch to their winter itinerary.
Old October 19th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Default New Menus

think the Restaurant/Hotel Manager mentioned it, but we were so infuriated by the situation lol.. There were a few cold soups being offered I think at lunch... This might sound petty but there was no Beef Wellington, no Rack of Lamb, size of desserts, salads, etc. were so tiny you would actually still be hungry..lol.. Yes, I know you could order additional... At breakfast the biggest laugh was the hash browns...I can tell you that it was less than one measuring tablespoon..lol.. When the Majesty first started from Boston under the old ownership the food was as good as it got (catered by Apollo)...Two years ago it was decidely a disappointment, but nothing like our September cruise.. Several years ago we were on either the last sailing of the SeaBreeze or OceanBreeze before it was seized and I can tell you it was so far superior. Let me add that the staff and crew of the Majesty continue to be one of the best we've ever encountered.. The public rooms have been all redone.. one evening as we were leaving the dining room the staff were washing down the chairs...I don't know if it's done at the end of the day every day, but I was greatly impressed. Sadly, the days of the Majesty are nearing an end...as the Captain said......they want to turn her in for a bigger and newer model...I for one am against that.. The only thing we have in Boston in our favor is so far the docking facilities aren't big enough..lol
Old October 19th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Passenger

Funny, I had rack of lamb on the Crown in September. It actually was good. You can't expect gourmet food when around 2,000 people need to be served. I still think passengers are also to blame, as many want huge portions over quality.
Old October 30th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Passenger

We sailed the SUN on 10/22/06 outta the big easy. The variety of foods cannot be surpassed even by Carnival. BUT...........the 7seas or whatever the 2 formal dining rooms had some strange items on their menus like meatloaf. They had some great Italian food on the menus. The buffets were okay, stir fry was great and delicious ceasar salads. The chocolate buffet was wonderful but you gotta be a chocolate lover. They do have coffee makers in cabins which is good but no shavers, etc like in Carnival. But I will take a coffee maker over shampoo samples any day. Oh and don't let me forget the omelets were killer!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old November 10th, 2006, 12:01 AM
First Mate

Default Just got home from 11 nites on the Spirit

The buffet:
Food temp was either just barely luke-warm or on the cool side. Meats tended to be over-cooked and dry. Omelette, pasta, stir-fry stations were good and food was cooked up fresh and hot. Desserts were rather bland. Breads, croissants, danish and cookies were good. Plenty of salad fixings and fruit.

Bier Garten:
Good hamburgers, hot dogs and fries and it was a fun hang-out

Blue Lagoon cafe:
Open 24 hours but very limited menu of hamburgers, hots dogs, chicken wings, fries and rice

Le Bistro:
Good food and a real bargain at only $7.50 pp if you ate early dinner

Main dining rooms:
Gorgeous rooms, food ok but I found the menu rather limited

Room service:
Quick and good for a late night snack but nothing hot on the menu

I realize that tastes are subjective but I've found the food on Carnival and Celebrity to be quite a bit better. Would the food on NCL keep me from cruising again on their ships?..........no way,... we thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and I was in no danger of starving But I guess we were spoiled by the food on the other lines and NCL didn't really come close in that area.

But, the crew was so friendly and the ship is gorgeous.
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
10/29/06 11 nite NCL Spirit
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
May 14-25th, Carnival Fascination...3 B2B's
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
1/18/08 Carnival Miracle (Platinum on this one!)
2/25/08 Fascination
4/21 & 4/26/08 B2B on the Imagination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old November 10th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Just got home from 11 nites on the Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsec
The buffet:
Food temp was either just barely luke-warm or on the cool side. Meats tended to be over-cooked and dry. Omelette, pasta, stir-fry stations were good and food was cooked up fresh and hot. Desserts were rather bland. Breads, croissants, danish and cookies were good. Plenty of salad fixings and fruit.

Bier Garten:
Good hamburgers, hot dogs and fries and it was a fun hang-out

Blue Lagoon cafe:
Open 24 hours but very limited menu of hamburgers, hots dogs, chicken wings, fries and rice

Le Bistro:
Good food and a real bargain at only $7.50 pp if you ate early dinner

Main dining rooms:
Gorgeous rooms, food ok but I found the menu rather limited

Room service:
Quick and good for a late night snack but nothing hot on the menu

I realize that tastes are subjective but I've found the food on Carnival and Celebrity to be quite a bit better. Would the food on NCL keep me from cruising again on their ships?..........no way,... we thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and I was in no danger of starving But I guess we were spoiled by the food on the other lines and NCL didn't really come close in that area.

But, the crew was so friendly and the ship is gorgeous.
Food is subjective as we all know; actually we were a little disappointed in the food on Celebrity. Maybe it was because of the build up. We did think meats were better, but the buffets weren't as good, that isn't saying much. As for Blue Lagoon, you are right the menu is limited; it is meant to be that way; just a quick snack type of place. It became one of our favorite places to eat on the Jewel. NMnita
Old November 13th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just back from the 11/5 sailing of the Jewel. We ate one night in Le Bistro -- the filet and chocolate fondue was excellent. The rest of the nights we ate in Tsar's Palace -- I've just never been very interested in the specialty restaurants.

Our entrees ranged from very good - absolutely delicious. I don't think I would have gained 5 pounds if the food wasn't tasty. Our food related issue was more in the choices available. The new menus hadn't been implemented yet, and rather than the "oh my gosh, I want one of everything" feeling that we had on the previous cruises, it was more a matter of "well, I think I'll try that one." When it came, we never had a complaint, but that "WOW" factor was missing.

We ate breakfast most mornings in the dining room too, but the breakfast food in the buffet was fine too. My DH just prefers being served.

Our main "complaint" was more in the wait-staff service. Some nights, including our night at Le Bistro, it was excellent. Otherwise, it ranged from slow to not good at all. They were breaking in quite a few new staff members, so hopefully that will keep improving.
Old November 15th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have just returned from the NCL Dawn on Nov.12th.The food was probaly good if it was served hot or even warm.The food we ate on the first night of the cruise in the Venition room was warm when we got served but the vegatables cold .We were with our granddaughters and they went off of the childrens menu and there was not one thing with veggies.
We went to Cagneys one night which we paid $20.This was the night that they had Lobster in the main dining room[free]but at Cagneys on top of the $20 they wanted, they wanted an added $5 for lobster.While I am at it in Cagneys I had to ask where the veggies were and my wife is still waiting for hers.
My opinion of the food,which I put in the questionair at the end of the cruise was POOR.
Old November 15th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop66ma
We have just returned from the NCL Dawn on Nov.12th.The food was probaly good if it was served hot or even warm.The food we ate on the first night of the cruise in the Venition room was warm when we got served but the vegatables cold .We were with our granddaughters and they went off of the childrens menu and there was not one thing with veggies.
We went to Cagneys one night which we paid $20.This was the night that they had Lobster in the main dining room[free]but at Cagneys on top of the $20 they wanted, they wanted an added $5 for lobster.While I am at it in Cagneys I had to ask where the veggies were and my wife is still waiting for hers.
My opinion of the food,which I put in the questionair at the end of the cruise was POOR.
Of course you had to pay for Lobster even if it was Lobster night in the main dining room. The quality is a little different plus the atmosphere etc. NMnita
Old November 15th, 2006, 09:38 PM
First Mate

I got a call today from an NCL agent who asked me about our recent cruise. I told him how much we'd enjoyed it, how friendly the crew was, how much we'd enjoyed the ports and the cleanliness of the ship. I did tell him of the not hot enough buffet food and the overcooked, dry meats. He replied that they do get complaints from time to time on the Spirit's food........more than on any of the other ships. I thought that was kind of interesting.
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
2/25/08 Fascination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old November 16th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsec
I got a call today from an NCL agent who asked me about our recent cruise. I told him how much we'd enjoyed it, how friendly the crew was, how much we'd enjoyed the ports and the cleanliness of the ship. I did tell him of the not hot enough buffet food and the overcooked, dry meats. He replied that they do get complaints from time to time on the Spirit's food........more than on any of the other ships. I thought that was kind of interesting.
I wonder why the food is worse on the Spirit? As for the buffet if there is a truely weak spot in the NLC food chain it is the buffets. Of course I am not crazy over any buffets and I am sure it is hard to keep the food hot on buffet tables, but I have never been impressed with any NCL buffets. Of course where the improvement really needs to be made: Room service menu. All I can figure is there are just not that many who order room service on NCL ships thus they see no reason to address the issue. We rarely order it. I guess, except for breakfast we have had something about 3 times in 20 plus years of cruising. NMnita
Old November 16th, 2006, 10:23 AM
First Mate

I'm one of those that would rather pick and choose at the buffets rather than eat in the more formal dining rooms. The temperature of the food has never been an issue on either Celebrity or Carnival ships so I'm not sure what the problem is with NCL. As to the room service menu on NCL, it's par with the other cruise lines that we've been on....never any hot selections.
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
2/25/08 Fascination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old January 17th, 2007, 08:16 AM
First Mate

I was on the Pride of Aloha during Christmas week.

The food and service in the Main dining room was better than what we found in Kihilli, the specialty Italian Restaurant.

The specialty restaurant was not worth the money, or the three hours we spent eating there. The chicken dish I ordered was just ok.

Many times we did grab quick meals in the buffet, when we wanted to attend an activity in the evening. The food in the buffet was decent, and served the purpose.

We noticed one major change in the dining rooms. The waiters asked for your desert choice when they took your main order. They no longer brought the desert trolley to your table. If this was done to speed up service, it failed to work. The typical meal took 2 hrs.

On the whole, I rather be back on the ship than here at work.

Barb
Old January 17th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Passenger

Default Food on NCL ships

Not for me anymore and I have done 22 cruises on different lines. I find now they don,t give you the best food in the main dining rooms as they want everyone to go and pay in the other restaurants, of course they make more money that way but what are we paying for when we book the cruise, our meals. They will never ever beat Holland America food for sure, the best on any ship and the service superb.
Old January 17th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Food on NCL ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelnut2
Not for me anymore and I have done 22 cruises on different lines. I find now they don,t give you the best food in the main dining rooms as they want everyone to go and pay in the other restaurants, of course they make more money that way but what are we paying for when we book the cruise, our meals. They will never ever beat Holland America food for sure, the best on any ship and the service superb.
Again, this, like everything else depends on the particular cruise. We did a 10 day cruise on the Amsterdam a month ago: the food, indeed was outstanding in the main dining room and the buffet, but the specialty dining room the food was just so-so and the service certainly not good. Our cabin steward was the best we have had in 20 plus cruises: our dining room wait staff was more interested in the other 2 tables they were attending than us: I would put it as average, not "the best" This was not just our opinion BTW> The rest of the crew though doing their jobs, were quite professional but the least friendly of any line we have cruised. I think certain lines are attractive to certain types of cruisers which is the way it should be. Would we cruise HAL again, yes, but it would not be number one on our list. Not enough activities, not a friendly atmospher and too many passengers that make us look young: NMnita
Old January 18th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Passenger

We last sailed on the NCL Sea. I loved that ship!
The food was good, not superior, but good. Never had any issues with food being cold. We ate lunch in the buffet most days because the kids like to choose, I have no complaints other than it was a little bland, I did not expect them to have hot green chili but the food could've used some spicing up. My husband solved that issue for him by buying a bottle of hot sauce in Belize. I guess it all comes down to what you are used to eating.
My DH did comment at one time that all the food we saw going into the trash was enough to feed the people in Roatan for a year.
The food in the main resturants was very good. Service was great. Steak was done perfect.
The food on my RCCI cruise was about the same as far as comparisons.
Will write a decent review when I return from the Dream in Feb.
<BR>Until my ship sails!<BR>
Old January 20th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Passenger

Default NMN will not let you state your opinion

Kitty2: Give it up, my friend. NMNita will argue with you until she is blue in the face. She cares about one person's opinion, her own. Thank God she isn't my travel agent.
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Beginner

The food on the Wind was so-so. The portions were small, the service slow and not up to what Norwegean was in the pst.
Old January 26th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Familiar Face

we sailed on the spirit last june and we thought the food was petty good. We sailed on celebrity century a few times and their food was excellent. We liked the food on holland america but the choices were weird. Where do you get meat loaf at the main dining room? And the waiter we had looked annoyed all the time. On ncl the staff was friendly. The specialty restaurant we went to( Cagneys) was delicious. Make reservations when you board the ship. We waited too long and couldn't get into the Japanese restaurant. Alot of times when you eat at buffets the food tends not to be hot. All in all it was good. The casino had food at night which was a pleasant surprise. Something for everybody from cookies to hot wings. quincy
rccl explorer 2007
Old January 26th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Passenger

The food on our NCL cruise was the worst I’ve even eaten on any of my 17 cruises. No one could eat the turkey and dressing on Christmas Eve. It was inedible. NCL Majesty food was consistently terrible all seven nights. The buffet food was THE WORST. Here is how I rate cruse line food based solely on my personal experiences:

Holland America – The best. Even their buffet turns into good dining at night.

After HAL, for me in descending order: Regent, Oceania, Cunard, RCCL, and dead last NCL.