Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 16th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Admiral

Default How Was The Food On Your NCL Cruise?

I'd love feedback from cruisers who have recently returned from a Norwegian Cruise Line ship. How was the food on your cruise? Did you like some restaurants better than others (for example, the main dining room vs. the Lido buffet or specialty restaurant). Also, please advise when you sailed and which ship you too.

Thanks so much!
www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Admiral

Anne, I just did a review on the Sun, in fact I have written it twice. I do talk about the food quite a bit. NMNita
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Passenger

I was on the NCL Spirit (4/16) I thought the food at the regular restaurants and the buffet were very good.
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Admiral

Hi nmnita,

I've been waiting and waiting for your review! Hmmmmm? Maybe the third time's the charm?

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Food on the Spirit

We returned a week ago from a 7 day cruise on the Spirit and we found the food to be Superior.

We dined at all of the Specialty Restaurants with our favorites being Cagney's and Shogun in that order.

Food quality was the highest rating, closely followed by service by the personnel on the ship. When we were at Cagney's we heard guests who were from New York City say that they were hard pressed to thing of a restaurant in that city that did as fine a job.

-JIm
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Passenger

Hi Anne,

I first went on NCL in 1999 on the Norway, and it was almost my last NCL cruise. the food was so awful, I actually lost 2 pounds during the week. My TA convinced me to try NCL again, and in Dec 2004 I did. What a difference 5 years makes...the food was very good to excellent. I ate all my meals except 2 in the main dining room or the buffet. the 2 specialty restaurants I ate in were Cagney's and Ginza. I had to send my steak back twice in Cagney's, but the third time was the charm, and they took the charge for my meal off of the bill. In Ginza the food and the service were absolutely perfect!! I am going on the Norwegian Pearl for her first season in Alaska next year. I can hardly wait!!!

Bill
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Beginner

I sailed on the Spirit on April 2nd of this year. Since it was my first cruise I had no expectations whatsoever regarding the food, however I found it very impressive. The choice at Raffles was incredible and I really enjoyed putting together my own caesar salad, using the salad bar and the cheese section. I would make meals out of the salads and was so pleased with the selection of healthy eating choices. Also the breads were out of this world. The Bistro was amazing, I had the chicken with rice which was really spicy but sooo good. At Tratollia I had a chicken and pasta dish which was excellent, however the service wasn't as good as the other restaurants. Th Garden Room and Windows were beautiful and having supper while watching the ocean was an incredible experience. I actually was very impressed with Raffles and ate most of my meals there because of the convenience. I do regret not having tried some of the other restaurants and that is why we are planning another cruise for the late fall, early winter.

The only down side to the dining on the ship was the terrible coffee and tea. I will definitely bring my own tea bags next time. I am not a coffee person so it didn't really bother me but my mother was upset because she really enjoys her coffee and dessert. I think she will be bringing her own coffee to make in the room. Also it was a bit tramatizing paying $4.50 for a bottle of Evian!!! I did manage to find a Walmart in Port Canaveral and stocked up on bottled water which saved me a bundle.
Old May 17th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Admiral

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to give feedback on NCL's food. It's a big help to me and anyone who is deciding if they want to cruise on an NCL ship.
www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old May 17th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the Jewel in April and found the food to be very good. We ate in all of the restaurants except the surcharge ones. I can only state that the burrito in Tango's was dry but everything else was very good. I especially enjoyed the freshly made waffles for breakfast in the buffet.
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to kitty2

we sailed the NCL Dream in march the food was mediocre at best ...the buffet dining room was a joke ...you could not seat very many in there
The italian restaraunt was good but we did not try the Bistro other people we talked to did and said it was not worth the extra fee.
They had a barbeque on the deck most days at lunch
Dining room sevice was very slow at breakfast ..one day took 1 1/2 hr for breakfast

The only good thing was the free ice cream on the pool deck
afternoon tea was ok but not that great.
I would sail Princess again before NCL
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty2
we sailed the NCL Dream in march the food was mediocre at best ...the buffet dining room was a joke ...you could not seat very many in there
The italian restaraunt was good but we did not try the Bistro other people we talked to did and said it was not worth the extra fee.
They had a barbeque on the deck most days at lunch
Dining room sevice was very slow at breakfast ..one day took 1 1/2 hr for breakfast

The only good thing was the free ice cream on the pool deck
afternoon tea was ok but not that great.
I would sail Princess again before NCL
Sorry you didn't enjoy any of the food on the Dream; I am surprised you talked to others that didn't think Le Bistro was worth the money. In th 9 years since NCL has offered Le Bistro I don't think I have heard 1/2 dozen who have not enjoyed it and this refers to various NCL ships. Of course as we all know food is very subjective, I am sure that is why Anne wanted all our opinions.
Old May 17th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Sorry you didn't enjoy any of the food on the Dream; I am surprised you talked to others that didn't think Le Bistro was worth the money. In th 9 years since NCL has offered Le Bistro I don't think I have heard 1/2 dozen who have not enjoyed it and this refers to various NCL ships. Of course as we all know food is very subjective, I am sure that is why Anne wanted all our opinions.
we have friends that have only sailed NCL (4) they did NCL Dawn in Feb and said the food quality has changed since their other cruises.
So it is not just me !
I guess if you are use to fast food places NCL is good .
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
we have friends that have only sailed NCL (4) they did NCL Dawn in Feb and said the food quality has changed since their other cruises.
So it is not just me !
I guess if you are use to fast food places NCL is good .
oh my, I didn't mean to insult you or get you all upset, I was just giving my opinion. I have sailed 3 times in the past 8 months, twice on NCL and once on Celebrity. Food quality has gone down in the past 5 years, this is something every veteran cruiser knows. Look at the cost of cruising versus the cost of food; something has to give: I was simply stating my surprise to the remark about Le Bistro. BTW, I don't think most of spend much time eating fast food: I certainly don't. Again, I certainly didn't mean to question your comments or opinion of the food, I was just giving mine. NMNita
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
I was just giving my opinion. I have sailed 3 times in the past 8 months, twice on NCL and once on Celebrity. Food quality has gone down in the past 5 years, this is something every veteran cruiser knows.
I was giving mine!
We have sailed Princess & NCL in the past 6 months and food was better on Princess( not much) .
I have also heard from others that sailed on better lines and they don't seem to cut the food quality ...but you do pay more for the cruise.
So the whole topic is subjective.

I am not new to cruising but do like to try different cruiselines.
Will not do NCL again though
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
I was just giving my opinion. I have sailed 3 times in the past 8 months, twice on NCL and once on Celebrity. Food quality has gone down in the past 5 years, this is something every veteran cruiser knows.
I was giving mine!
We have sailed Princess & NCL in the past 6 months and food was better on Princess( not much) .
I have also heard from others that sailed on better lines and they don't seem to cut the food quality ...but you do pay more for the cruise.
So the whole topic is subjective.

I am not new to cruising but do like to try different cruiselines.
Will not do NCL again though
yes, it is subjective: on another note, "you pay more" everyone thinks this but both our Celebrity cruises were chosen because of price. 2 years ago we did Celebrity's Connie because a balcony cabin was $200 per person less than the Sun and our granddaughter got married on the Zenith in December because they offered a 5 day cruise for less than any 4 day cruise offered by RCI or Carnival. I have clients sailing on Celebrity next March (Panama Canal) they have booked a suite: their preferance because of freestyle was NCL but Celebrity was less. Of course the Dream is one of the least expensive ships in the water, though many find her a wonderfully friendly ship and like the smaller size she isn't representative of NCL overall. :o
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
I have clients sailing on Celebrity next March (Panama Canal) they have booked a suite: their preferance because of freestyle was NCL but Celebrity was less. Of course the Dream is one of the least expensive ships in the water, though many find her a wonderfully friendly ship and like the smaller size she isn't representative of NCL overall. :o
You seem to be a TA form your conversation ...if a client tells you the food was not good do you argue with them?
The food from the same cruiseline is different from ship to ship...a veteran cruiser would know this (as you put it)

If the food on those cruises was the same quality then I would question the price difference.
The DREAM is an older ship and some people love her, some don't.
In my personal choice of ships she is not a small ship ...We prefer ships under 1000 PAX.
That is why life is full of choices.

The question here was "how was the food on YOUR NCL cruise"

I gave my opinion and you gave yours....
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
I have clients sailing on Celebrity next March (Panama Canal) they have booked a suite: their preferance because of freestyle was NCL but Celebrity was less. Of course the Dream is one of the least expensive ships in the water, though many find her a wonderfully friendly ship and like the smaller size she isn't representative of NCL overall. :o
You seem to be a TA form your conversation ...if a client tells you the food was not good do you argue with them?
The food from the same cruiseline is different from ship to ship...a veteran cruiser would know this (as you put it)

If the food on those cruises was the same quality then I would question the price difference.
The DREAM is an older ship and some people love her, some don't.
In my personal choice of ships she is not a small ship ...We prefer ships under 1000 PAX.
That is why life is full of choices.

The question here was "how was the food on YOUR NCL cruise"

I gave my opinion and you gave yours....
you are right if you are comparing her with the luxury cruise lines she is not small, but compared to the mass marketed lines she is small.
there are few if any mass marketed line ships holding less than 1500 passengers. I too, like the smaller ships, but they are a thing of the past. Yes, I am a TA and I am not argueing with you about the food, I was just surprised about your comment regarding Le Bistro. Of course I wouldn't question a client except to ask for details so I could pass this on to others. Luckily, I haven't faced this many times as I try to match my clients with what seems best for them. I am not going to send someone who is accustom to Celebrity or luxury brands on the Dream unless they insist. I wouldn't want to send a client that loves freestyle or likes lots of night time activities on HAL either. I think my point here simply is: I wasn't trying to descredit you, I was just very surprised at your statement that others didn't like Le Bistro for the price. It is apparent from the other boards you comment on you do cruise the more upscale lines thus NCL, especially the Dream would leave a lot to be desired in your estimation. This is ok, that is why there are so many lines out there, NMNita
Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:40 AM
Passenger

Default NCL FOOD

I have sailed on all the major lines and I have found NCL's food to be superior. We have since sailed on NCL numerous times and would book again in a heartbeat.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:42 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Anne,

Here is an excerpt from my mini-review that I did on my September Norwegian Star, Alaska cruise.

Food:
Overall I will give the food a Good to Excellent rating. The only negatives I will give are the omelette's in the Market Cafe. Gee: Pre-made omelette's aren't that good. I am not much of a breakfast person but the two that I had in Versailles were very good, complete with hot pancakes and good over easy eggs.

Versailles restaurant: I only ate there once for dinner and that was the mediocre service. Others in our party ate there on a couple of occasions and enjoyed it. It is a beautiful venue with large aft facing windows. They all commented that service was very good but seemed a bit more rushed. We ate in Aqua on two occasions and the service was always great. The menus are basically the same between Versailles and Aqua. The decor of Aqua is not as ornate but I did enjoy every meal. The two stand outs for me were the lamb and the Duck. Both were outstanding.

La Trattoria: This restaurant is basically one half of the Market Cafe that is opened at night. It is an Italian theme. The pastas were very good. All members of our party loved them. I am not a pasta person but the fillet I had was quite good and cooked to order.

The specialty restaurants of Le Bistro, Cagney's and Soho are all exceptional. I would try at least one of them on your cruise. Overall, my favorite was Le Bistro but it is hard to choose. All of them have additional charge items (above the service fee) such as a surf and turf for $5 more that is a large lobster tail and fillet or three lobster tails. My wife had the lobster tails and loved them. They are definitely the type you get in the main dining rooms on most ships.

One extra charge item that I had in Cagney's and Soho that was wonderful in Cagney's but needed to be taken back in Soho was the Fois Grois. It was fantastic. Unfortunately the first time in Soho it was cold and then when it was brought back it was "nuked" and turned into a gelatin. At that point I just asked for it to be taken off the bill and I would pass. The Maitre 'd apologized and said "The chef will get no dinner tonight." A few minutes later a huge plate of Foils Grois was placed in front of me that was done to perfection. It was about four times the normal serving. We all had a good laugh and I happily shared it with the members of the family that would eat it.

The only specialty restaurant that didn't really impress me was the Sushi restaurant. It did have a variety of sushi and teppanyaki but for the additional price it was of a variety that I have had on other ships that was included and I was not overly impressed with the quality and I am a sushi lover. It was by no means bad but it wasn't that great. A lot of vegetable varieties of sushi on the turntable but few ahi, salmon or eel rolls.

However: I do have to add that when the Sushi Chef heard that I was ordering Ahi he said it was included and prepared me a large platter of it and had it delivered to me. That was a nice touch!

Also: One of my favorite venues: The Blue Lagoon. This is a wonderful venue for a snack or light meal. It beats room service hands down. The burgers, fries and fish and chips were excellent. The fish was not a large portion but they had no problem with requesting two pieces. It's open 23 hours a day. They clean between 4:30 and 5:30 AM.

Room Service: I ordered one sandwich from room service with coffee and it was fine. It was roast beef. Every thing was good but nothing to write home about. I did just to see how it would be.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:17 PM
First Mate

we sailed ncl jewel in april. the food was exceptional in the pay restraunts as well as the main dinning areas. lebistro was our favorite! then came cagneys, then came the two main dinning areas. the buffets were good. mama's italian and the mexican restraunts were good...but why eat italian or mexican when you can have that any day of the week back home?? our only regret was wasting time with the mexican and italian (dont get me wrong, they were good) when we could have been eating at lebistro or the main dinning areas for some exotic/fancy food!
service was awesome in all the restraunts. thinking of trying the norwegion sun next april!
NCL JEWEL 4/9/2006
DISNEY WONDER 6/15/06
NCL SUN 1/23/07 (girls trip!)
NCL PEARL 3/30/07
RCCI MAJESTY OF THE SEAS 8/27/07
NCL Sky 8/31/09 (Mom's Bday Cruise)
Disney Magic 10/17/09 with the baby!!
Next Cruise...NCL Dawn 6/6/10 NYC to Bermuda ;-)
Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:47 PM
First Mate

It gets so tiring listening to the bickering just let everyone give their opinion. And Anne please erase any back and forth discussions. Let us just read the opinions not the bickering. Thanks
Old May 26th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Passenger

We sailed NCL in February on the POAM. We ate all our meals in the freestyle buffet. The food was OK. IMO on a scale from 1-10, I would give it a 6.
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10cruisessofar
We sailed NCL in February on the POAM. We ate all our meals in the freestyle buffet. The food was OK. IMO on a scale from 1-10, I would give it a 6.
Why did you choose to eat all your meals in the buffet? I realize this is your choice, but you probably missed out on some very good choices. Eating in a buffet would rate a 5-7 I am certain, but the specialty and dining rooms do offer a better quality of food. We always think of the buffets as a place to grab a bite in a hurry. NMNita
Old May 30th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Passenger

Default Re: How Was The Food On Your NCL Cruise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Campbell
I'd love feedback from cruisers who have recently returned from a Norwegian Cruise Line ship. How was the food on your cruise? Did you like some restaurants better than others (for example, the main dining room vs. the Lido buffet or specialty restaurant). Also, please advise when you sailed and which ship you too.
Anne,

As always I will be doing a review of our recent May 20th sailing of the NCL Spirit. In the meantime I'll offer my opinion that the food was excellent in all areas. Now if they would hire someone to actually serve it the dining experience would be fine.

Seems harder and harder to get both good food and good decent service at the same time on the same ship. Now that waiters on NCL are apparently also bar servers, wine stewards, and part time busboys I guess NCL can put savings into food quality.

So we found food itself to be excellent, dining experience rough enough to proclude us sailing again with NCL anytime in immediate future.

More in the review I will submit to cruisemates later in the morning.

George in NY
Old May 30th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Admiral

Default Re: How Was The Food On Your NCL Cruise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Campbell
Anne,

As always I will be doing a review of our recent May 20th sailing of the NCL Spirit. In the meantime I'll offer my opinion that the food was excellent in all areas. Now if they would hire someone to actually serve it the dining experience would be fine.

Seems harder and harder to get both good food and good decent service at the same time on the same ship. Now that waiters on NCL are apparently also bar servers, wine stewards, and part time busboys I guess NCL can put savings into food quality.

So we found food itself to be excellent, dining experience rough enough to proclude us sailing again with NCL anytime in immediate future.

More in the review I will submit to cruisemates later in the morning.

George in NY
I am sure we will all be anxious to read your review. Hope you had a good cruise. We didn't find the wait staff on the Sun, last month doing much other than what they have done in the past. Maybe each ship is different: I would hate to think this is a trend. NMNita
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:50 AM
Familiar Face

I too sailed the Dream in March...I found the food inconsistent.

At each meal there was a total stand out...Caribbean Night's Oxtail Stew! Who'd have thunk it? I ordered a second entree of it! Italian Night's Tira Mi Su...had a second dessert. Cappucinos in the dinning room I thought were very good!

Then other courses were very dissapointing.

Some Items were just not what the menu said they were or that the waiter described. A "Pasta of the Day" with a pesto sauce had a boring thin cream sauce...not a hint of basil or pine nuts. The Blackberry Ice Cream was strawberry. When we inquired with the waitress she said they didn't have any Blackeberry, even though it was printed on the menu and we said "We'd like The Blackberry Ice Cream" and she said yes.

But then...in the sports bar buffet at lunch...I discovered the vegetarian Indian buffet table! I ate there every day for lunch after that! Wonderful.

Overall....Just wasn't consistent.....

HR
NCL Spirit November 2006
HAL Rotterdam April 2007
NCL Spirit August 2007
Caribbean Princess May 2009
NCL Star RFamilyVacations July 2009
Carnival Glory July 2010
Old June 6th, 2006, 01:30 PM
First Mate

Just got back from the Jewel. I give the food mixed reviews. Le Bistro was the best meal, and on early bird special, inexpensive. The flaming dessert was not flamed within sight, however. Our friends ate at Cagney's and were very disappointed. They have sailed NCL several times before and said the food quality has gone down.

Mama's was good, but the man behind us sent his dish back twice. Once he got the lasagna and sent it back, but we liked it. I had the shrimp/aspargus rissotto and thought it good. We ate at Tango's twice -- the fajita's were good, but one night I couldn't find the pepper strips -- no matter, the shrimp was plentiful and delicious. Blue Lagoon's fish and chips are wonderful -- had them twice. And the eggs benedict at Tsar's were perfectly cooked, something very hard to get in a regular restaurant, let alone one which serves the masses. I put my placard out on the door each night for coffee/juice/roll. They always came on time or a bit early, and I liked the coffee. I liked the intimacy of Azura, and had a very good eggplant vegetarian dish one night, and the chocolate souffle was incredible.

My gripe would be the buffet, particularly the lack of fresh fruit, although I did find a banana at the cereal bar. I saw no oranges, pears, apples, peaches, berries, grapefruits, and when I ordered a fresh fruit plate from room service, thinking I could get some grapes, the smell when I lifted the lid made me ill. The watermelon looked as if it had been frozen. Generally, the buffet looked very unappetizing -- no presentation -- limited variety, and with no trays, a juggling act. No one worked the room with coffee, and you had to stand in line to get that. No lemonade, or juice (after breakfast), just coffee and iced tea. At lunch, I saw none of the wonderful cheese selections I am used to, either.

I have never been disappointed with the food on "traditional" cruises, but will soon find out if they have gone down hill, also, as so many say.
Old June 6th, 2006, 02:08 PM
First Mate

Just sailed 05/28/06 to 06/03/06 Norwegian Spirit. The food was a huge disappointment. Here is my review of the various restaurants:

Raffles the buffet, the first day there was nothing to drink but water and they had basically run out of almost all food by 3:00 p.m. So we picked but tried it again the next morning. Watered down orange juice, cranberry juice, runny scrambled eggs, toast and rolls hard as rocks, cold hash and bacon that remained consistent so we stopped eating and chose yogurt, cereal and fruit. The coffee to me was great because I don’t like it strong and bitter. The tea selection is Lipton regular or herbal teas. I wasn’t thrilled with the salad bar because they didn’t have a selection of lettuce it was the greens I don’t like and can’t eat. It just seemed like the food items were barely warm or cold. The pasta station was individually prepared for you so it was hot and quite good. As was the waffle station and omelet station (they really should add another waffle and omelet station). Fruit cocktail - I have never in my entire life had fresh fruit cocktail with the watermelon seeds not removed to me that was just plain laziness on the chefs part and improperly prepared.

Barbecues - if I ever smell barbecue smoke again I hope its not for a long, long time. Every day it was another barbecue by the pool. The sail away I didn’t even bother because the lines were ridiculous so the next day I did. I was dying for a hot dog. I chose a hotdog that looked well-cooked but it was sitting in the warming pan with about 1/4 inch of water but I thought that was so they wouldn’t dry out. Yeah right. One bite ice cold threw it away disgusting. The hamburger was tough and cold also threw that away and never tried the barbecue again until the Private Island because I was starving and it was the same thing so I choked down ½ of it and threw the rest away. I think they had barbecues every day to fill people up so they would eat less of the restaurant foods.

Windows - like I stated earlier this room is stunning. First night service was impeccable. We order drinks, the server explained the different breads in the basket, went over menu, food served promptly and was good. Desserts were also good. We were asked to fill out the rating card which we rated everything as excellent. That was the end of impeccable everything in Windows. Would you believe that in the main dining room shrimp cocktail was only offered once and it was described as “Baby Shrimp Cocktail? you know those frozen tiny shrimps that you put on top of a salad well that was you shrimp cocktail 10 of them. The next night was french night and I almost gagged on my beef order it was horrible and even the dessert left a lot to be desired. My daughter wanted to know where the rating cards were after the first night but they never appeared. I guess they get rated the first night and everyone is on their best behavior so they all get high ratings. We had breakfast here one morning because we had heard it was worth it. We waited for water, coffee, eggs over easy ate the eggs except for the yolks because we still didn’t get our toast and we had to remind the waiter and when it came the eggs were cold so why bother. They do serve real OJ not watered down. That was our last visit to Windows.

The Garden Room we were there only one night for the Captains Dinner. We had the escargot (which was hot) and lobster with asparagus quiche (which was warm) but edible and the apple crepes were tasteless but the vanilla ice creme was delicious. We would sit and wait for water, wait for coffee and tea, wait for dinner and wait for dessert.

Blue Lagoon - we actually went here about three times. It was the first and only place where we actually got hot food. The Won-ton soup was good and two different kinds of fried rice were excellent. Tomato soup was ok but strange and Shepard Pie was quite tasty. I hugged the waitress the first night and thanked her for our first hot meal since we had arrived and she was shocked.

Chocolate Buffet - it was held from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. in Windows. We arrived late (2:40 p.m.) due to getting off the private island late and felt we should clean up before going into the dining room. There wasn’t a cleaned off table in the whole room to sit at so we sat with two lovely ladies from Buffalo. The deserts mainly all tasted the same nothing was wow gotta have more of that and that includes the famous fondue. Desserts mainly were all bland that I had tried except for some type of chocolate brownie the first night and a small light walnut cake that was luscious and the vanilla ice creme (excellent) that was served with the bland apple crepes.
Old June 6th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just got back from the Majesty June 4. We thought the food overall was good. Buffet not so good,dining rooms good and Le Bistro excellent.
Bob
Old June 8th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Beginner

My wife and I were on the Sun to Alaska at then end of May. Le Bistro was excellent, Il Adagio was close behind, and the Teppanyaki was very good. Nothing wrong with food in the main dining rooms, but nothing special. The Garden Cafe buffet was very good to fair depending upon the item. But the ship was full and there are not enough tables. East Meets West steakhouse was ok but I can get steaks aat least as good in NM. Service in all the venues was excellent to above average with 2 exceptions. At East Meets West, our waiter seemed to have forgotten us after the main course, and in all the venues except the buffet, getting coffee to the table quickly was apparently a difficult task. I gained 4 pounds. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, the scrambled eggs were consistently awful.