Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Beginner

Default Seasickness on the Inside Passage?

Husband and I just booked an NCL cruise next year, and I had a friend tell me that she was terribly seasick during her cruise to Alaska. Has anyone else experienced this? I would think that since the waters are protected in the Inside Passage that it would be fine, but I am concerned enough to ask.....Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Beginner

I have a horrible problem with motion sickness, and we cruise at least twice a year. The best preventative treatment I have found - and I've tried them all - is good old Dramamine. Here's the kicker - you need to start taking it 3 to 5 days prior to sailing - this way it gets into your system. It makes me extremely sleepy, so I take it at bedtime, which takes the edge off the pre-vacation excitement. While at sea, I'll continue taking one tablet a night, again at bedtime. This has been the only way I've been able to prevent sickness. Hope this helps! And happy cruisen.
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

My daughter was feeling quite queasy on our trip to Alaska the last day. I'm not sure, however, what our exact location was. We were on our way from Wrangell back to Vancouver, and there was a pretty good storm.

We had 15-18 foot waves, if I remember correctly, and they had all the outside deck doors locked. Looking outside from our balcony, it was pretty rocky! The rest of us enjoyed it, she didn't.

We were able to get it under control with Bonine and ginger capsules. The next cruise, we tried a patch on her, but it gave her horrible blurry vision so we won't be trying that again. If you're prone to seasickness, I'd definitely make sure to have either Bonine or Dramamine available, along with the ginger capsules as it definitely isn't always smooth sailing. I guess the crew frequently recommends green apples too.
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Beginner

I wore the patch on a 7 day cruise to Mexico and completely lost my sight (So blurred that I could only see shapes, and had to be led off ship) - I will NEVER wear those things again....

I have heard that candied ginger and ginger snaps are good too...Thanks for the advice....
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry to hear about your trouble with the patch. When my daughter tried it, she was 19, and only weighed about 115 pounds. I thought maybe it was just too strong for someone her size. She was ok until she switched patches 1/2 way through the cruise, and then her vision got blurry, but nothing as bad as yours sounds! We finally gave up and took it off on day 5.

One of the roll-call members from our group was also recommending ginger ale, which she was able to get with her soda card and did seem to help. On our Alaskan cruise, she took ginger capsules every morning, and they seemed to work fine until that last sea day when it was really stormy. I definitely wouldn't count on totally calm seas in Alaska. It was definitely the roughest we've experienced so far.
Old May 19th, 2006, 01:42 AM
First Mate

Hi,
Perhaps it is called the '' insige passage'' but you don't spend all your cruise in its ''protected '' waters. Except for the segments between Juneau, Skagway and Glacier Park, which are short distance and quite protected, your other segments are in open seas, with the stretch between South of the Ketchikan//Prince Rupert area and just North of the Strait in B.C. being noticeably prone to ''lively seas''.
As well, when sailing from // to Seattle, the northbound sailing generally takes you all the way to the Alaskan border on the '' outside '', in wide open seas which are often quite '' fussy''( as opposed to sticking '' inside towards the Voctoria//Vancouver area and the inside straits in B.C.

Happy sailings
Cheers
CG

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Beginner

Like cruisen kid I too get motion sickness.... I took bonamine... ( the front desk has a bowl of it or pick up a box at walmart! ) .. I would watch the others feeling sick but I never felt nauseous.. I am prone to motion sickness so I was relieved when this stuff helped... it didn't make me drowsy....

this is from their website

Bonamine*, the only once-a-day anti-nauseant, is available without a prescription. The best way to address motion sickness is to prevent its symptoms from occurring. With Bonamine, symptoms related to motion sickness are prevented in the first place.

Happy Cruising....
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Admiral

None of us got really sick, but it was quite rocky a couple of days toward the end of our cruise about 8 years ago; as someone said, you do not spend the entire time cruising the inside passage and that big ocean can affect any size ship. I did use the bonamine provided by the ship. It seemed to settle me down. Even DD who has always had a quizzy tummy did fine with just taking bonamine. NMNita
Old June 1st, 2006, 09:55 AM
Beginner

First time I went on a cruise I got seasick, the very first day aboard!
It would be a good idea to take some motion sickness medicine. That helped me and I felt great the rest of the week. Also in the shops, they have some wrist bands to help with motion sickness. Hope you have a great time!
Old June 2nd, 2006, 12:31 PM
Familiar Face

Bonamine NOT DRamamine does the trick for me. Remember to start taking it on the day before you sail, and keep taking it till the day after you finish. Your body can still "feel" the motion of the ship for several days after the cruise is over. Dramamine WILL make you dull and sleepy.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 12:01 AM
Beginner

Hi! I too suffer from motion sickness but I found this wonderful stuff at the health food store made by "King Bio" and it is a spray for motion sickness. You spray 3 or 4 spritzs in your mouth and I am fine then ! It taste like you are spraying plain water. I get motion sick so badly that I have to drive all the time w/o my spray. Good Luck and have a great trip!!
Old June 9th, 2006, 12:20 AM
Beginner

Hi there.. home from my Alaska Cruise last Sunday.. the inside passage is fine.. it's the bit from the top of the Island to the inner parts of the Alaskan area... I took Bonamine every night.. felt no nausea at all.. a bit of banging off the walls on a few days.. and sea legs in port. but no sickness... highly recommed taking it.... I took it before bed and had no drowsiness the next day..

Have fun