Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 14th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Dancyalien
Default NCL Spirit (St Thomas, Tortola, Bermuda)

Hello All! Im sailing on the NCL Spirit on Sept 30th. Its an 8 day cruise with stops in St Thomas, Tortola, and Bermuda.

I really wanted to go to a NICE beach in bermuda. Does anyone have any suggestions? We are only there from 9-4 and I'm not to happy with the ships excursions.

Also, anyone have any suggestions for Tortola? I'm not sure what to do there either.

In St Thomas, I am going to take a taxi to coral world. I heard a taxi is only $9pp to get there. I have made a reservation to do the sea trek on our own (which is much cheaper) and then we are going to go to Coki Beach.

If anyone has any suggestions or going on the same cruise, send me an email!!

Carnival Inspiration, Sept 2009
NCL Sky, June 2009
NCL Sky, Nov 2008
Disney Wonder, April 2008
NCL Spirit, Sept 2006
NCL Pride of Aloha, March 2006
NCL Dawn, June 2004
Carnival Sensation, July 1998
Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Passenger

I was in tortola in feb. we took a tour of the island. we did not take a tour sponsored by ncl but found no problem getting a group together for the tour. the tour cost 20 pp and was well worth the money. saw the whole island in about 3.5 hours. Beautiful!!!
Hope this will help
jvan
Old June 15th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Passenger

Jvan,

Thanks for the reply. How did you find that tour??? The price sounds great!!

Jenn

NCL Sky, June 2009
NCL Sky, Nov 2008
NCL Spirit, Sept 2006
NCL Dawn, June 2004
Old June 15th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Passenger

Jenn,
As you get to the end of the pier there is a tour info. booth and they will assist you in whatever you want to do. They were very friendly and helpful. Our tour guides name was smitty, A very colorful individual that had a great sense of what we wanted to see. Make sure to hold on cause all the roads are very steep and narrow but the views of the surrounding islands are beauitiful.
We have cruised on three occasions and have found that most ports are and tour services offered are governed by the port authority. so,for the most part, everything is on the level if you take a tour or taxi from the port.(as opposed to the tours offered by the cruise line) This is usually a good way to save money and see exactly what you want to see.
Hope you enjoy your trip
JVAN
Old June 16th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Familiar Face

Default Spirit Cruise

Hi,
The nicest beach in Bermuda in Horseshoe Beach. Take the ferry and a bus but allow enough time THERE IS A KIOSK THAT SELLS FERRY /BUS PASS-$12.00 GOOD FOR ONE DAY only- A DEAL! when you get to Horseshoe there is a bus for $1.00 to take you down to the beach but more importantly, back up the long hill to catch the public bus! I took the ferry$4.00 to Hamilton, walked a bit then took a taxi alone to Horseshoe and it was $16.00---Ralph--the driver-ex policeman, very helpful. Then I took the public bus back to King's Wharf --- it took a long time hour + to get back and the bus only runs 20 of and 20 past the hour----CHECK all of this out fully before you decide. Bermuda is VERY expensive; there is food at Horseshoe -VERY HIGH- take something to drink and buy the fish nuggets-Yum. A real fish and chips plate was $14.00...yikes!
I was just on the Spirit--May 22 sailing--had fab weather!
Enjoy!
The Flying Dutchman
I think you meant to say you were going to Coki Beach in ST Thomas?--Not Bermuda- that is a good beach and also good for snorkeling. Magen's Bay is the Big attraction on ST Thom---lovely but very crowded. It costs $3.00 to enter plus taxi --about $9.00 one way. Coki is farther will cost a bit more by taxi, I seem to recall. YOU WILL PROBABLY DOCK AT Havennsite--- (there are three different dock areas in St Thomas)unless you really are a supershopper skip going into town,or make a quick trip just to tour and shop right at Havensite at the end of your day. Do not miss the ST Thom beaches to shop unless you have $$$ to buy gems or jewelry.
In Tortola either spring for the excusion to Virgin Gorda or go to Cane Garden Bay - $6.00 one way in the big open bus $5.00 for a chair, Conch fritters at Stanley's Bar and a $3.00 beer....If you want a more secluded beach ask the taxi to take you to Brewers Bay, But beware---it can be hard to get back. There is a great spice shop near the ship Sunny Caribee and the tent markets are great for souvenirs right near the ship
Let me know how you fare---Enjoy! The Flying Dutchman
Old June 16th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the helpful info... And thanks for the typo. I did mean St Thomas.....

NCL Sky, June 2009
NCL Sky, Nov 2008
NCL Spirit, Sept 2006
NCL Dawn, June 2004
Old June 19th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Passenger

I have to agree with Horseshoe Bay Beach in Bermuda - and - make sure you go into the little cove on the side. absolutely gorgeous. We were there last week, weather ideal.
Old June 29th, 2006, 11:13 AM
First Mate

Dancyalien - I really wanted to go to a NICE beach in bermuda. Does anyone have any suggestions? We are only there from 9-4 and I'm not to happy with the ships excursions.

What part of Bermuda will you be docked at? There is 3 different places and that would help make directions easier.
Old June 29th, 2006, 01:52 PM
First Mate

In Tortola, there is an excursion to Virgin Gorde - it's beautiful there. Gorgeous beach with natural rock caves.
NCL Dream - '08
Carnival Miracle - '07
NCL Dawn - '06
NCL Spirit - '06
Carnival Legend - '05
NCL Dawn - '04
NCL Dawn - '03
NCL Sea - '02
Cunard QE2 - '98
Old June 29th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Beginner

I was on the same cruise this past May. You are going to lovvvvve Bermuda, it is amazing! I agree with the dutchman on the beach. We took the bus ($8pp round trip). Horseshoe Bay was absolutely beautiful, even the bus driver said it was the best beach on the island. Once there, you can rent beach chairs, umbrella's etc. Make sure to bring your camera too, the water & sand is nothing like I have even seen! When you are ready to catch the bus back, there is a shuttle van that drives you for $1pp. Take it, otherwise it is an uphill trek.

For the other ports, I can't really comment on the best deals. I booked everything through the excursion desk. In St. Thomas, we did a helmet dive which was pretty cool. It included admission to coral world too, so I am not certain if the $85 pp was a deal or not. It did include transportation so I thought it wasn't bad. In tortola, we did the catamaran sail and snorkel ($55pp)-that was great!! First you take the nice sail, then you stop and snorkel by these caverns (they said it was the spot Treasure Island was based on), then over to a private beach. Really nice and relaxing, well worth the money in my opinion.

Hope you have fun
Old June 29th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Beginner

Oh and we docked at the Royal Naval Courtyard. It was about a 30 minute bus ride to Horseshoe Bay.
Old June 29th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Beginner

I have been to Bermuda many times and by far, the best beach is Horshoe Bay. I can get a bit busy there as that is where most tourists go but never overcrowded. The pink Bermuda sand is gorgeous and the rock formations at Horshoe Bay are beautiful.
In past years I always rented Mopeds as I was accustomed enough to be able to tour the Island independently BUT there is an inherent danger especially with riding on the left!
Old July 5th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Passenger

Hi! I am going on the same cruise for my 10 year anniversary. My husband and I would like to renew our vows either on the ship or on a beach. Would anyone know how I would go about this? Thanks!
Old July 7th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

We will be celebrating our first anniversary
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old July 8th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Passenger

Default NCL Spirit (St Thomas, Tortola, Bermuda)

Congratulations Big!
Old July 14th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

thanks
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America