Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2006, 10:02 PM
Beginner

Default Pride of Hawaii Oceanview Stateroom Categories

My girlfriend and I would like to have an oceanview stateroom on the Pride of Hawaii. It seems a balcony would be very expensive. However, in searching the deck plans, it seems that none of the oceanview staterooms are in good locations. Some of them are on Deck 4, which is the lowest passenger deck, so I'd be worried about engine noise, anchor noise, and whatever crew areas are below them. Some of them are directly below public areas or near the theater. Some of them are located very far forward or aft, and I'd be worried about motion and noise.

If we do book an oceanview room, which category and deck would you recommend? Would noise be a problem on Deck 4? What areas should we avoid in order to avoid a noisy room? And, how much motion and noise can we expect with a forward or aft room? Basically, we have to choose the lesser of all evils.

I'll go through my analysis of each deck that has oceanview staterooms:

Deck 4: Mostly Category F, with porthole. Since it is on the lowest deck, I'd be concerned about noise from the engne, the anchor, and mechanical and crew areas. All of the staterooms are port side. Is that good or bad? We don't know what is below Deck 4, which could be a problem. Above seems to mostly be staterooms; not a problem. Also, is noise from the medical center going to be a problem? How big are the portholes?

Deck 5: Several different categories. Most midship rooms are Cat. DD, with a picture window. Unfortunately, most are below public areas, which could be a problem. Would we be ok if we are below the seating area of a restaurant? Would we have noise from the theater, or is that never used at night?

Deck 6: Directly below jogging deck, so I should probably not even consider it.

Deck 8: Category CC with picture window. All the rooms are far forward or aft, and most are above public areas. And, the forward rooms appear to be very small.

If none of the oceanview locations are any good, should I convince my girlfriend that we should pay the extra for a balcony room (it seems that only BB rooms are in good locations), even if we don't use the balcony at all, in order to be in a better location? Or, would we be better off going on the Pride of Aloha, where balcony rooms are cheaper? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:59 AM
Passenger

Default Pride of Hawaii

Our family is going on the Pride of Hawaii on Aug 06. We have a mini suite because there are 3 of us. I think the mini suite was around $1,000.00 per person. I highly recommend a balchony. I think its worth the extra price. We havent booked any excurisions yet. If you can go into the NCL website. It has some info that might be helpful. Sorry I couldnt give you any more information. We have cruised before and really love it. This is our daughters (14 years old) first cruise so it will be interesting to see what she thinks of it. You can find so much on the internet these days so keep looking. I will try to post a message when we return.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 02:25 PM
Familiar Face

I booked Oceanview on the POH for next year. WE decided on deck 8 aft
the cabins appear to be above meeting rooms for business groups and they don't usually have business meetings late at night. The business men are usually too drunk by that time. lol
The cost of an upgrade is WAY TOO HIGH. Save those bucks and use them to enjoy the islands. The Hawaii cruse is all about the ports and not so much about the rooms. Jimbo
Old June 24th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Pride of Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblossom
Our family is going on the Pride of Hawaii on Aug 06. We have a mini suite because there are 3 of us. I think the mini suite was around $1,000.00 per person. I highly recommend a balchony. I think its worth the extra price. We havent booked any excurisions yet. If you can go into the NCL website. It has some info that might be helpful. Sorry I couldnt give you any more information. We have cruised before and really love it. This is our daughters (14 years old) first cruise so it will be interesting to see what she thinks of it. You can find so much on the internet these days so keep looking. I will try to post a message when we return.
One thing to be careful about is that the minisuites are all on Deck 11. Since you are directly below the pool deck, it could be extremely noisy.
Old June 24th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_Boston
I booked Oceanview on the POH for next year. WE decided on deck 8 aft
the cabins appear to be above meeting rooms for business groups and they don't usually have business meetings late at night. The business men are usually too drunk by that time. lol
The cost of an upgrade is WAY TOO HIGH. Save those bucks and use them to enjoy the islands. The Hawaii cruse is all about the ports and not so much about the rooms. Jimbo
I have heard that aft can be extremely noisy and you can feel a lot of motion. Hopefully you'll be ok.