Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Admiral

TCG,

Whith that last part of yours -"A rose by any name is still a rose"- I will definitely forgive you.
Old July 7th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cruise Guy
Roand and nmnita, of course you are both right. Sometimes, as I know you will agree, old habits are hard to break. But RCI is the name of the company, RCL is the code for their stock. So most times I still refer to them as RCL. Like the old saying goes, "A rose by any name is still a rose".
you are so right; it all depends on when you started sailing them: old habits are hard to break, I am having trouble breaking a few myself......
Old July 7th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern
Hi NMNita,

I have a few requests for you please...

As long as I am playing God, what can I do for you my child? 8)
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMNita
As long as I am playing God, what can I do for you my child?
Okay, you asked, how about peace in the Middle East, Darfur and North Korea (and everywhere else), an end to famine all over the world, and people loving and respecting each other no matter their skin color or their lifestyle?

(Oh, and how about an around the world cruise for my DH and me?) 8)

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 7th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Admiral

Fern

I wish I could answer all your wishes, I am so concerned about No Korea, aren't we all.

As for peace, it will never happen; problems have existed since God (not really me) created earth and will continue.

Love for our fellow man, what a wonderful wish; I share this with you.

You asked me for a couple of favors, not several: the round the world cruise: you provide the resourses, I will do the rest......
Old July 8th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMNita
Love for our fellow man, what a wonderful wish; I share this with you.
If you could just handle this request I think the rest would take care of itself.

I'll have to let you know when we have the "resources" for the 'round the world cruise !

Sea Princess 2014
Old July 9th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Admiral

Default "Cruise Maniac"/Parrot Mom

Listen my dear friends...I never put "cruise maniac" on my profile...some little elf must of done it.. lol. BTW NITA Ive been trying to get through to ANYBODY at Lattitudes regarding my cards...NCL is horrible.. I've waited the maxiumum of ten minutes on the phone and eventually Parrot Pop got through.. It seems their customer service is short handed.. The woman I spoke to said she had only been there a while and had never been on a cruise.. that tells you something.. Asked her about "upsell".. she knew nothing about it.. but when I get to the pier I'll ask the Supervisor abut a suite...there as of yesterday seemed to be one cabin in our Category on out preferable deck.. Wanted to see if the price on our cabin had gone down, but I understand that if y ou'e given the final payment your out of luck...is that true? At least maybe they could toss me a perk or two like a credit on board.. Oh yes..I even requested they call me about a "new" booking...nobody has.. I get more of a response from my two African Greys...females of course[/list]
Old July 9th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Admiral

Not only have many of the reps not cruised, many haven't even been on a ship. I saw this 1st when I was working for a major hotel chain (reservations) many of the young hirees (spelling?) had never been in anything resembling a mid or upper mid level hotel, but even worse, when I went to work first became a travel agent we had one gal (hired with me) who had never traveled anywhere, never stayed in a hotel nor seen a boat as she kept calling it. She was so bad, talk about an order taker only. Of course she didn't last more than about 6 months. Our company sold a lot of Primere cruises (of course they are long gone now) anyway one day a smartly dressed middle aged gal, dripping in diamonds walked into our agency. Our brainy order taker was next in line for a walk in. Nice walk in lady wanted to cruise on an upscale line and was looking for New Years eve. What did order taker gal try and do? Sell her a Primere cruise!!!! Don't get me wrong, Primere had a lot to offer to the right vacationer, it was especially good for families that wanted a kid friendly line but couldn't afford Disney. I had a fam trip lined up with them when they went belly up or should I say, sank? (sorry, couldn't help myself) We were looking forward to sailing the line, just like we loved Commodore, but I wouldn't suggest even NCL to someone who told me they wanted upscale and they were willing to pay for it. Makes you wonder huh?
Old July 9th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Admiral

Funny you should mention Premier....either on this board or another one..I think it's this... there is a spot for entertainers and I mentioned Lenny Windsor...finding him on Celebrity last year and the ED came on and said he was the ED on the ship..Yes, we were on it within a few cruises here in Boston before it was seized.. It was a WONDERFUL ship.. The Ocean Breeze, the Sea Breeze, the Dolphin or was that the Dolphin line... we didnt' know anybetter, but it was our first cruising experiences over 20 years ago.. plus the NCL Seaward and we loved the ships.. Parrot Pop was disgusted with our long time TA who offered us no service and told us.. "it's up to you to get $$ back"...aND that's when I started researching... When I tell a TA that I've been to Macchu Picchu in 1986, some don't even know what that is... or look at me like I have two heads.. I tell them never judge a book by it's cover..To shorten a story if I can..there is a story told about a woman in black who was always bothering salesmen in Tiffany's..in NYC at the turn of the century... When they saw her they would all hide avoiding her questions...all except one who got stuck... One day she started buying... and from this one man...her name was Mrs. Andrew Çarnegie.............Closer to home 40 years ago we went shoppng for furniture.. went to a well known chain and asked the salespeople for chairs of a certain style... they pointed in the direction, but never came over.. Little did they know we had a wad of bills (didn't believe in checking accounts then), we were soaked from pouring rain...and went to another store where we bought a entire house of furniture for cash....lol Have two cruises I'm interested in next December (is that a good time to cruise from Europe) and by the time I approach the TA at the travel show I will know exactly what I want and how much and what perks I want...lol It is up to us to know when we go to a TA...
Old July 9th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Hi Parrot Mom,

The very same thing has happened to us. Apparently, we don't look like we have any $$, so are ignored in some stores. We just move on to another store that gets our $$!

Luckily, we have a wonderful TA (much like NMNita!) who not only knows all about cruising but, at our first meeting, took the time to learn about us and what we liked and didn't like! I also still do most of the "searching" for what we want, but I enjoy the extra services she provides, and having someone to "run interference" if needed. Our last TA was not at all interested in booking us on NCL. Maybe there's not as much commission?

Sea Princess 2014
Old July 9th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Admiral

If I do all the research on what I want...what ship and what ports...it bugs the hell out of me to have to go to a travel agent whose job it is for me is to write up my order and make a commission....and what do I get...zilch...not even service. When we booked our last big cruise for Europe I went with all prices, itineraries, cabins, etc... and was told that very few people come prepared... and as a result we were treated very, very well by the cruise company...and they kept throwing up grades at us..lol
Old July 10th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Hi Parrot Mom,

All I can say is that you've never found a good TA!

Sea Princess 2014
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Dancyalien

I got this from someone on another board. Hope this helps:

Bronze Level Benefits – Onboard benefits are received during a guests’ 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th cruise
Access to Latitudes customer service
Complimentary subscription to Latitudes, a quarterly members-only magazine
Exclusive Latitudes pricing on all sailings
The added enjoyment of Polo Club benefits when sailing on Orient Lines’ Marco Polo
Latitudes check-in at pier
Latitudes ship pin
Latitudes onboard liaison to answer questions at sea
Members-only cocktail parties hosted by the Captain

Silver Level – Onboard benefits are received during a guests’ 6th, 7th, 8th & 9th cruise
Access to Latitudes customer service
Complimentary subscription to Latitudes, a quarterly members-only magazine
Exclusive Latitudes pricing on all sailings
The added enjoyment of Polo Club benefits when sailing on Orient Lines’ Marco Polo
Latitudes check-in at pier
Latitudes ship pin
Latitudes onboard liaison to answer questions at sea
Members-only cocktail parties hosted by the Captain
Invitation to an Exclusive Gathering
Tasty treats delivered to the guests’ stateroom twice during their cruise

Gold Level – Onboard benefits are received during a guests’ 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th & 14th cruise
·Access to Latitudes customer service
·Complimentary subscription to Latitudes, a quarterly members-only magazine
·Exclusive Latitudes pricing on all sailings
·The added enjoyment of Polo Club benefits when sailing on Orient Lines’ Marco Polo
·Priority check-in
·Latitudes ship pin
·Latitudes onboard liaison to answer your questions at sea
·Members-only cocktail parties hosted by the Captain
·Invitation to an Exclusive Gathering
·Tasty treats delivered to guests’ stateroom twice during their cruise
·VIP service, which includes:
- Priority boarding
- Welcome basket
- Priority restaurant reservations
- Priority tender tickets
- Priority disembarkation
- Invitation to the Captain’s cocktail party

Carnival Inspiration, Sept 2009
NCL Sky, June 2009
NCL Sky, Nov 2008
Disney Wonder, April 2008
NCL Spirit, Sept 2006
NCL Pride of Aloha, March 2006
NCL Dawn, June 2004
Carnival Sensation, July 1998
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Admiral

since this is our 15th time on NCL going back 2 0 years we should be a gold..but they claim we are silver...but I'll deal with them onboard
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Dancyalien
Default TA

I too have not found a good travel agent, so for awhile I was an independent agent. Anyway, the more an agency works with a cruise lines or supplier the higher commissions they are paid. Also, different cruise lines will run specials and pay more for different things. The one agency I worked for only wanted me to focus on one line.

In any event, it doesnt matter what the agent gets paid, because it's NOT coming out of your pocket. You will pay the same whether you go to a TA or book online.

If you find a good agent, which so far I havent, it pays to use them. It doesn't cost you anything and you get the service. A good TA should be looking for the deals for you and finding out about possible upgrades ect.

I don't think Id use an agent again. Ive tried two and they both stunk. Im not longer an independent but Id rather book on my own. Quick story: I used an agent for my honeymoon. I asked her was it better to book the air through the cruiseline or severately. She said right now theres no good deals out there so take the cruise air and you can always change before final payment. She even wrote on her card she would look into. When final payment came around I said what's better are we staying with the cruise air. Shes like "well I thought you were looking into that".

I had a really late flight coming back from hawaii. So I asked her what am I supposed to do all day if I get off the ship at 10. She said rent a car. So I was like thats a good idea. She said I can do it for you. She said you have AAA. I said yes, so she told me to call them.

Then, I called to ask her the difference between two excursions. She said they sound the same, why dont you call NCL and let me know what they say.

So you can see Ive had it with them. My other two experiences with travel agents werent good either.

But there are some good agents still left in this world. If you find one use them, because it wont cost you anymore and they might just able to give you some valuable advice.

Carnival Inspiration, Sept 2009
NCL Sky, June 2009
NCL Sky, Nov 2008
Disney Wonder, April 2008
NCL Spirit, Sept 2006
NCL Pride of Aloha, March 2006
NCL Dawn, June 2004
Carnival Sensation, July 1998
Old July 12th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Admiral

Default Re: TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancyalien
I too have not found a good travel agent, so for awhile I was an independent agent. Anyway, the more an agency works with a cruise lines or supplier the higher commissions they are paid. Also, different cruise lines will run specials and pay more for different things. The one agency I worked for only wanted me to focus on one line.

In any event, it doesnt matter what the agent gets paid, because it's NOT coming out of your pocket. You will pay the same whether you go to a TA or book online.

If you find a good agent, which so far I havent, it pays to use them. It doesn't cost you anything and you get the service. A good TA should be looking for the deals for you and finding out about possible upgrades ect.

I don't think Id use an agent again. Ive tried two and they both stunk. Im not longer an independent but Id rather book on my own. Quick story: I used an agent for my honeymoon. I asked her was it better to book the air through the cruiseline or severately. She said right now theres no good deals out there so take the cruise air and you can always change before final payment. She even wrote on her card she would look into. When final payment came around I said what's better are we staying with the cruise air. Shes like "well I thought you were looking into that".

I had a really late flight coming back from hawaii. So I asked her what am I supposed to do all day if I get off the ship at 10. She said rent a car. So I was like thats a good idea. She said I can do it for you. She said you have AAA. I said yes, so she told me to call them.

Then, I called to ask her the difference between two excursions. She said they sound the same, why dont you call NCL and let me know what they say.

So you can see Ive had it with them. My other two experiences with travel agents werent good either.

But there are some good agents still left in this world. If you find one use them, because it wont cost you anymore and they might just able to give you some valuable advice.
It does sound like you have dealt with a few agents that only want to work for the big bucks, not those little $$ earned from renting a car for a day: I will admit, I may have told you the same thing about the car, mainly for your convenience as well, but not giving advise or checking for you as to best excursions: that is poor business: shame on her!!!! Shame, also, on any agency that wants an agent to book only one cruise line or even pushes one. We all have our favorites but each cruiser is an individual and what works for me may not work for Mr and Mrs. CCC. (I really haven't met Mr and Mrs CCC yet) you get my point. Because you were an independent agent for awhile I don't blame you for booking everything on your own; you pretty well should know the ropes. That being said, as you pointed out, using an agent goesn't cost the consumer anything and can make a big difference sometimes. Not necessarily in pricing but handling problems.

Parrotmom, I would do anything possible to show the cruises you have been on. For us they pretty much accepted approximate dates, ship names or anything that would indicate we were there. We did have problems with one sailing. I think, that too, has been cleared up. Good luck; maybe you will ge God, just like me..
Old July 12th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Have been working directly with NCL...lol
Old July 12th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Passenger

I did not know there are differant levels of lattitudes. three times in an owner's suite,what level am I?
Old July 24th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboy
I did not know there are differant levels of lattitudes. three times in an owner's suite,what level am I?
According to the post above, that would make you 'Bronze'.
Old July 24th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Admiral

Default Disappointed in NCL Service!!

:evil: Right now I'm spitting bullets... Since before June I've been calling Lattitudes trying to straighten out my "level" and the promise I would get a new card. On 6/20 I booked a cruise and the rep said he would be sure to send me my new cards...On July 2nd I documented I spoke to a Lattitudes Supevisor who also promised to send me new cards... Today for the fourth or fifth time I waited on the phone to NCL Lattitudes for over ONE HOUR. I hung up.. Finally, managed to get through on aother hour call and the supervisor told me that the new Lattitude Cards were being typed up as we spoke.. I asked for an upgrade and he offered me an inferior cabin with obstruction and a small amount of $$.. Tomorrow I'm calling the "complaint" division and telling them that one hour each time I call is not acceptable.. When I used Celebrity for a cruise I received excellent service. I'm so spitting nail tha when I go to the travel show and meet up with the NCL Sales Supervisor, Parrot Mom is going to show her the NCL cruise I had intended to book at the show..and rip it up in front of her and tell her why... I have kept names and times of conversations... Does anybody want to make a bet I don't receive my new Lattitude cards by the end of the week
Old July 25th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Disappointed in NCL Service!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
:evil: Right now I'm spitting bullets... Since before June I've been calling Lattitudes trying to straighten out my "level" and the promise I would get a new card. On 6/20 I booked a cruise and the rep said he would be sure to send me my new cards...On July 2nd I documented I spoke to a Lattitudes Supevisor who also promised to send me new cards... Today for the fourth or fifth time I waited on the phone to NCL Lattitudes for over ONE HOUR. I hung up.. Finally, managed to get through on aother hour call and the supervisor told me that the new Lattitude Cards were being typed up as we spoke.. I asked for an upgrade and he offered me an inferior cabin with obstruction and a small amount of $$.. Tomorrow I'm calling the "complaint" division and telling them that one hour each time I call is not acceptable.. When I used Celebrity for a cruise I received excellent service. I'm so spitting nail tha when I go to the travel show and meet up with the NCL Sales Supervisor, Parrot Mom is going to show her the NCL cruise I had intended to book at the show..and rip it up in front of her and tell her why... I have kept names and times of conversations... Does anybody want to make a bet I don't receive my new Lattitude cards by the end of the week
Parrot I actually either emailed them or wrote a letter< I think I emailed when they had us down for only our 2nd cruise. I don't know what happened to the rest, but I did have enough information to get all but one sailing applied to us, moving us up quite a bit. I don't think they ever got the final one straightened out. DD got all of hers but one as well. Those from way back when records weren't kept as closely as now and computers were almost non existant will be tough. I didn't have exact information but could tell them about when I sailed, what ship probably even what cat within reason. It did work. The latitude email is: WWW.ncl.com/latitudes. You probably already have the address. Good luck.

Nita
Old July 27th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

When I booked our cruise on the Majesty in May they had our Latitudes info wrong as far as number of cruises. The customer rep was very pleasant and helpful when I explained that we had cruised at least 10 times with NCL. She said she would take care of the problem and when we boarded the ship we found it had been corrected and we were given Gold status.
The point is be pleasant and they will help you as much as they can.
Bob
Old July 27th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Finally got through to the "complaint" dept. yesterday a.m. on the first try...It seems the "supervisor" I had discussed my problem was the person to go to.. We have done at least 10 cruises and they were giving us Silver.. The Supervisor (whose name I have) wanted to upgrade me to a cabin on the deck above with an obstructed view!!! First of all I could barely contain myself..I had been offered those cabins at less than I am paying and have never taken an obstructed view cabin..EVER...and he was doing us a favor... What do they think I am..STUPID...No, I was calm and tried to use a sense of humor..If I do not receive our new Lattitudes card by Monday there will be more phone calls.. this time I'll let Parrot Pop deal with it.. What e-mail address.. I was told they don't deal with clients over the internet.. Before NCL was taken over by this prior group.. we had planned on doing the NCL Sky from Boston to Canada....and that was the ship that landed on a sand bar.. A cruiser friend was on that ship and gave me a name and phone #...the service we received was outstanding...We explained in a letter our situation... the day before sailing we were called that the cruise was cancelled and it was going directly back to Miami when the ship was repaired.. Our dog was in the kennel, we were packed, bird sitter all set, etc. and of course we had planned the time off from or respective jobs.. Oh yes...our TA said it was out of her hands with the first offer.... NCL could not have treated us anybetter, telling us to book whichever cruise we wanted, they would give us 50% off the price we got and upgrade us to a cabin with balcony... Parrot Mom won't bother getting angry...If I knew who I could write to I would.....but when we go to a big travel show in Boston in January... the NCL Sales Supervisor will get a piece of my mind.. plus all the paperwork that I've documented.. I have two lines I'm considering for next fall...Celebrity and NCL... Who knows.. by Monday I may look up a name at NCL and send off a snail mail letter explaining our situation.. to a VIP.... let's start at the top as Parrot Pop would say.. because I'm certainly not getting service from their service peopel....hmm... We are big NCL fans and always have been since our first cruise 20 y ears ago on the NCL Seaward...which then turned into the NCL SEA...
Old July 27th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

You really don't need new latitude cards. The charge card /room key will have your latitudes status right on it. No one ever asks for your latitudes card.
Bob
Old July 29th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
since this is our 15th time on NCL going back 2 0 years we should be a gold..but they claim we are silver...but I'll deal with them onboard
This is from the NCL Latitudes site:

*To become a Latitudes member, you must have taken at least one full tariff cruise with NCL since 1995 when the Latitudes program began. Cruises taken while sailing on a travel agent, interline or family and friends rate as well as cruises taken using a cruise credit certificate do not count towards your Latitudes membership level.

According to this, the sailing on the Seaward 20 years ago may not be included in your count.
Old July 29th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Admiral

Okay Okie... I'm not a TA..I haven't cruised with certificates...So, let's start from there.. From the very first MONTH that NCL took over the Majesty were on that ship..and every year including 1998 (I'm not exactly sure after that as we have several Lattitude #s.. We sailed on the NCL Sky right after (two weeks) was grounded in Canada and on the NCL Sea a few years ago.. It is NOT really what level I am.. although I hadn'lt known about that..until I read it recently.. but the fact that I have called their Lattitude Service and waited more than an hour EACH AND EVERY TIME and then received assurances I would receive my card immediately.. That's what I'm talking about.... I believe these calls started either in April or May...that is what I am talking about poor customer service.. last year we did not sail NCL, but sailed Celebrity and we have also sailed one y ear RCL (don't even think about it)..and the service was outstanding.. The rep when I asked for a deviation Boston to Barcelona told me exactly what planes to request and what site to go to so I could help my TA.. When I booked my cruise with Celebrity I came equipped with prices and cabin categories to a travel show with several cruises in mind...not intending to book at that time, but Celebrity and travel company there bent over backwards to toss all sorts of benefits and upgrades to us.. We came prepared to shop and serious at that... Nita can probably tell you that not many people come to her that prepared....I know what I want and try to make the TA job easier.. I don't want to book online.. Now that the cards are received... I will further investigate three cruises trans-atlantic from Barcelona and one from NCL also from Barcelona..ranging from 17 days to 14 days....and then narrow down by itineraries and price and service. thanks for everybodies concern and input...