Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2006, 10:04 AM
Passenger

Default latitudes program

does any one know how the new program works

"The Latitudes program is now divided into four tiers – Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum. The more times you sail with NCL, the more benefits you will receive. This is our special way of saying thank you." (on their web page )

I know now on the majesty they stopped several benifits one being the 20% off your drink at the rendezvous lounge
Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2006, 12:03 PM
Admiral

of all the changes the 20% off is the biggest disappointment for us. I guess we have to look at it this way, just like frequent flyer programs: the program is free and there are so many members now, they had to cut someplace. It still beats Celebrity, for what that is worth. NMNita
Old July 2nd, 2006, 02:45 PM
First Mate

It may beat Celerbrity in your mind but it dosen't even come close to RCL.
Old July 2nd, 2006, 03:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cruise Guy
It may beat Celerbrity in your mind but it dosen't even come close to RCL.
Golly we haven't cruise RCI for so long I wouldn't know. I do have clients who cruise them quite often and haven't heard much either way. As for Celebrity, they really don't offer anything unless you have sailed 5 or more times or book suites all the time. Again, I don't mean nothing, but little. Our last Capt Club cocktail party was a joke. At least NCL still introduces the crew or some of them anyway and gives away door prizes. Is it wonderful? Nope, but all Celebrity did was introduce the capt who had nothing to say; he introduced the CApt Club hostess, who also had nothing to say and we were given our choice of drinks. Again, they are free programs so whateve we get it better than nothing. I can't imagine being loyal to any cruise line because of the frequent cruiser beneies. Yes I do miss the drink discount......NMNita
Old July 2nd, 2006, 07:49 PM
Captain

I do agree that it is disappointing to lose the drink discount since I considered it the major benefit of Latitudes. I've never seen much of a discount, except on special cruises, and no OBC as with Carnival and Princess, or special little gift like on RCL. So, to lose the drink discount is disappointing. Granted, it is cost me nothing so how can I complain about losing it but we are a society who has become accustomed to loyalty programs (frequent flier, frequent coffee drinker, whatever) so you'd think in this day and age of competitive cruising NCL would go the distance. Guess not. Oh well, I still have my MBNA points - for now.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Blossom
I do agree that it is disappointing to lose the drink discount since I considered it the major benefit of Latitudes. I've never seen much of a discount, except on special cruises, and no OBC as with Carnival and Princess, or special little gift like on RCL. So, to lose the drink discount is disappointing. Granted, it is cost me nothing so how can I complain about losing it but we are a society who has become accustomed to loyalty programs (frequent flier, frequent coffee drinker, whatever) so you'd think in this day and age of competitive cruising NCL would go the distance. Guess not. Oh well, I still have my MBNA points - for now.
Maybe if enough of us complain they will give the perk back to us. Talking about frequent flyer beneis: our daughter has about 600,000 Delta Miles but do you think she can use them: nada. She wanted to give some to us so we could fly to Fll for our next cruise after Thanksgiving, probably one of the slowest weeks of the year> She does have a 2 for 1 coupon we could use and we might: If we use it from DFW only (not from Albuquerque) we can fly for $318.00 for 2: great deal: then you add the taxes bringing it to $427.00, then add service fee, bringing it to $462.00 and then the $30 charge: now its $477.00. This is still a good deal for 2, but look at what we started at and ended up with.

Our older daughter worked her you know what off to get enough miles on AA to fly to New Zealand for her 25th wedding anniversary. she even took a flight from Dallas to Austin and back to Dallas in one day just to have enough miles. She tried to book the flight 6 months in advance: forget it: she is cruising instead. All I can figure is, as I mentioned before so many are qualifying they just feel they can't offer many perks anymore.

I remember when AA frequent flyer program came out in the 80s and DH traveled quite often. We were constantly flying first class all over the place with his miles.

The programs are still free so anything is better than nothing. NMNita
Old July 3rd, 2006, 10:56 PM
First Mate

Not only does RCL have the best past passenger perks in the business, THEY KEEP ADDING MORE.
Old July 4th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Not only does RCL have the best past passenger perks in the business, THEY KEEP ADDING MORE.
Wouldn't that be nice if all companies did that. RCI seems to have taken the lead for ships as Hilton has for hotels. ONe thing does come to mind though, how many of us really cruise because of the perks we get from being loyal to the line? We many stay in hotels for that reason as we have so many choices, but cruising is a little different or at least I see it that way. NMnita
Old July 4th, 2006, 01:45 PM
First Mate

nmnita, a good question but kinda like what came 1st, chicken or the egg. Ourselves, we are died in the wool RCL cruisers, therefore the more we cruise the better and better the perks. makes sence to us. If Norwegian had the same perks as RCL we would still stay with RCL. Its really the product, not the perks. But the perks are a great bonus.
Old July 4th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Admiral

CG, you hit the nail on the head: yes, the more we travel staying loyal, the more perks and the more we want to travel with a particular company. NCL now has the level plan so the more you cruise with them, the better the benies: we cruise all lines cause I am an agent and do have to try the various products but NCL is our first choice. The same with hotels, Hilton is first and the more we use them the better we are treated, but we still stay where it is convenient with the right price. The airlines have become a totally different ball game. We don't even worry about it anymore. While DH was still working for the government in DC during the 80s we couldn't use our frequent flyer miles fast enough: it was use almost anytime and fly first class. Today it is almost not worth the hassle. NMnita :o
Old July 5th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Admiral

After reading about this on another post I called NCL Lattitudes and after much discussion they agreed we were Silver level... They wanted proof that we sailed on thei NCL Seaward 20 years ago.. I asked if she was kidding!! We have yet to receive new Lattitude cards... and we are booked for 9/10. From what I've read there arent any big deals when you reach Gold...except I think the privilage of getting a discount if you pay cash...I make no bones about it..I could care less about RC... but Celebrity is definetely a line I'd like to cruise on again...almost anywhere
Old July 5th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Admiral

Parrot Mom, I guess that you have answered my question on past cruises. We sailed with NCL 12 times in the 80s and 90s and I was wondering if they could pull that data back up.

I am not sure if I can even find our Lattitudes numbers as I lost the cards and they never sent us new ones.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old July 5th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Actually our Lattitudes magazine came today and our numbers are on it..Including the NCL Seaward and then two years ago the Sea not to mention two weeks on the NCL Sky ..it looks like 15 times...After being on the RC BOS I couldn'twait to go back to MY Majesty. I know the cards are somewhere and they will eventually show up, but if I don't heard from NCL on Monday I'm going to "kick butt" lol
Old July 5th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Passenger

I have only just found this forum and I must say it is a real bonus to read and learn from all the subjects and I think I will be lost for the next month looking through it all -congratualtions to those that run it, from this frustrated partime cruiser who would just love to spend 345 days a year at sea !
Here in Australia we do not even get the Lattitudes mags and as a non drinker I never had the need to really get concerned about the 20% however as mentioned the Lattitudes is free and anything for nothing is a bonus. We got a badge !!!
My wife & I prefer cruising as our break from the business and we have taken around 50 criuses now, maybe close to 60 ( we dont count anymore) and NEVER has "Past Passenger", Gold Salings" or "Loyalty" offers influenced our choice as it is the destination and what is offered by ships in cleaninest, staff and menu's etc that decides who we will go with. The market place will decide if NCL was wise in taking this bonus off, as in how many cabins are filled at point of departure and at what price they have had to sell them for to get them filled, but with rising or should I say sky rocketing fuel prices maybe NCL have felt that to get on their bottom line what is given away on drink discounts may help in keeping fares down for longer. Given the choice on any cruise line, I would prefer a cheaper ticket than save 20% on sales such as drinks etc. Once ANY organisation brings in "tiered loyalty programs" you can forget anything from them if you only cruise once or twice a year as the next step will be introducing loosing points if you do not cruise or use their services over a given period.
As for all the talk about RCL, never been on their ships but we are doing Hawaii in Oct (if anyone can help me, see request for help/advise under Hawaii) and almost certainly will do the Sydney -LA in March on Princess but will look at RCL for latter 2007
Old July 5th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Bruce what discount coupons for drinks? The only thing the Lattitudes gives you is perhaps a special cocktail party, the magazine and maybe a b etter price for Lattitude members..
Old July 5th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Passenger

Parrot Mom or should I say Cruise Maniac, luv that !!! lolololol
Never mentioned Drink Coupons, the reference to 20% was made by others and I was offering my thoughts on that ( as a none drinker) - As for Lattitudes members price discounts I am not sure if they are as we say downunder "fair dinkum" because I know from almost ALL shipping lines we have been on we have been able to book cheaper or at a greater discounted fare than those so called early bird faires/ loyatly prices etc because again it is a case of supply and demand - its a little like tipping the jockey on return to scale,when you are hot to trot, on a cruise you can be easily led (or you want to be ) to book on the cruise for your next you are wanting to do, the long and short of it is, its not what the Discount or how big it seems to be, but what price it starts at and what you are left to pay
Old July 5th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Admiral

ParrtoMom, he is referring to, like he said, the 20% off we used to get in the Observation lounge or whatever lounge, depending on the ship. I still doubt anyone books a cruiseline because of the perks as frequent cruisers, but it is nice to get something for our loyalty. I think I am now God, but not sure. We too, had to go way back; as if we could prove when we had cruised NCl. In our case, luckily I did know the approximate dates at least. NMnita
Old July 5th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Captain

NMNita - there's a funny typo in your last post. I'm sure somebody will pull it outa' context and slap you with it down the line.

You're right, I don't know of anyone who sails for the perks. But I DO sail for the MBNA points - but that's a whole 'nother issue.

Yeh, NCL has gotten chintzy, too bad for us. I'll still have my sail away drinks in the Observation Lounge.

Magnolia
Old July 5th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Admiral

Somebody gave me "cruise maniac"...wasn't me..lol NCL can't get rich on the drinks we buy....but the art auctions are another story... and my spies tell me there is another group on besides Park West....now I know I'm in trouble.. Another friend I swear cruises only to buy art work of her favorite artists.. BTW just seconds ago found my Lattitude cards..
Old July 5th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Passenger

well luv it !
art auctions , give me a break ! looolollo not interested in those things lolololol, still again, in the eye of the beholder lololololol and if you have done some of the cruises out and around Fiji or Philippines you will know what I mean, I'd much prefer to see the real thing done in the streets as in Vegas with spray cans lololololol and know who it really is althought I must say one of my most treasured memories on this subject was / is a print of a painting from last year, cant see it as I type and not sure if it was Carnival or NCL but it was a FREE !!!! of the the ship and a thank you valued at $99 !!!! lolololol, how do you say it...give me a break
Old July 6th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Admiral

Quote:
NMNita - there's a funny typo in your last post. I'm sure somebody will pull it outa' context and slap you with it down the line.

You're right, I don't know of anyone who sails for the perks. But I DO sail for the MBNA points - but that's a whole 'nother issue.

Yeh, NCL has gotten chintzy, too bad for us. I'll still have my sail away drinks in the Observation Lounge.

Magnolia
Man will they ever. I wonder if I should correct it? I think I will just think about that for awhile. Today is a work day, which means as well as catching up on paper work, bookings etc, I will be spending much of the day on the net. NMNita
Old July 6th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Admiral

Quote:

Magnolia
Man will they ever. I wonder if I should correct it? I think I will just think about that for awhile. Today is a work day, which means as well as catching up on paper work, bookings etc, I will be spending much of the day on the net. NMNita
Old July 6th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Admiral

Hi NMNita,

I have a few requests for you please...

Inspiration2002CarnivalElation2004
GrandPrincess2004NCLSun2005
SunPrincess2006NCLDream2007
CaribbeanPrincess2007NCLDawn2008
IslandPrincess2008IslandPrincess2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Carnival Magic 2015 Coral Princess 2015
Old July 6th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Passenger

As a newy to this forum please forgive me for maybe being presumtuious but Nmita was directly replying to Parrot Mom on a entry I made
based on this, and incase there maybe only a few until sold out or givenaway "glorious deeds/favours" I would like to take several of these in the form of 5 cruises in Penthouses at deck Z I/S cabin rates please, you will note I have presumed there would be at least 7 to be given away ( as there are many 7 days cruises and there are days in the week so sounds logical) and that would leave some left over for Nmita and Fern
Old July 6th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Captain

NMNita, maybe you should change your title to read

NMNita
Cruise godess

I like it! Grin!
Old July 6th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
NMNita, maybe you should change your title to read

NMNita
Cruise godess

I like it! Grin!
Actually I prefer God, I have been trying to convince DH who I am for nearly 50 years: well 48. He just doesn't listen......NMNita
Old July 6th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by saligari
As a newy to this forum please forgive me for maybe being presumtuious but Nmita was directly replying to Parrot Mom on a entry I made
based on this, and incase there maybe only a few until sold out or givenaway "glorious deeds/favours" I would like to take several of these in the form of 5 cruises in Penthouses at deck Z I/S cabin rates please, you will note I have presumed there would be at least 7 to be given away ( as there are many 7 days cruises and there are days in the week so sounds logical) and that would leave some left over for Nmita and Fern
make sure there are some left over, I want one too.... BTW; welcome to the board; you will see us talking back and forth to each other from time to time as we almost become a family around here; of course you will witness a little bickering as well. NMNIta
Old July 7th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Didn´t we agree upon the fact that RCL went out of business long ago

Quote:
Old July 7th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland
Didn´t we agree upon the fact that RCL went out of business long ago

Quote:
Good point: it is only those long ago loyalist that see only RCI that still refer to RCI as RCL.
Old July 7th, 2006, 01:20 PM
First Mate

Roand and nmnita, of course you are both right. Sometimes, as I know you will agree, old habits are hard to break. But RCI is the name of the company, RCL is the code for their stock. So most times I still refer to them as RCL. Like the old saying goes, "A rose by any name is still a rose".