Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Beginner

Default Alcohol on NCL

I'm a first-timer and have heard (off the record) that you can bring alcohol on board with you as long as you don't get caught.
Is this true?
Does NCL screen both checked and carry on baggage?
Any tips?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Passenger

Anything is legal if you don't get caught!! A good idea is to put your alcohol in plastic water bottles. The 16 or 20 oz bottles you get in vending machines work well. You are allowed to bring water on the ship as long as it is packed in your luggage. Which we usually do for our island tours. I wouldn't bring 100 bottles but a few with your favorite spirits couldn't hurt.
NCL Spirit 2006
NCL Dawn 2007
Explorer of the seas
Old July 17th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Passenger

Water bottles is a good idea. A lot easier than the mouthwash bottle option.
Old July 17th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Admiral

There are ways to get it on, but no matter what you try, you may get busted. If so, expept them to keep it for you til the end of the cruise. Yes, the water bottle works: one time we brought a 6 pk of water on with us; 2 of the bottles had vodka in them. I will admit, now that we are getting older is really isn't worth the hassle. We just order ahead of time and have a bottle waiting for us when we embark. DD and I did bring a 3 liter box of wine on, in our luggage last cruise: nothing was said. I think the most important thing to remember: if you do smuggle, you get away with it, please confine the drinking of the smuggled booze to your cabin. The reason so many lines (ncl being the worst) are cracking down is the flaunting of the drinks. Cruisers make a drink in the cabin, take it out by the pool and think this is perfectly alright. We need to remember the cruise line is in the business of making money. Most of us would not walk into our favorite restaurant or bar with our own bottle. NMnita
Old July 17th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Admiral

There are ways to get it on, but no matter what you try, you may get busted. If so, expept them to keep it for you til the end of the cruise. Yes, the water bottle works: one time we brought a 6 pk of water on with us; 2 of the bottles had vodka in them. I will admit, now that we are getting older is really isn't worth the hassle. We just order ahead of time and have a bottle waiting for us when we embark. DD and I did bring a 3 liter box of wine on, in our luggage last cruise: nothing was said. I think the most important thing to remember: if you do smuggle, you get away with it, please confine the drinking of the smuggled booze to your cabin. The reason so many lines (ncl being the worst) are cracking down is the flaunting of the drinks. Cruisers make a drink in the cabin, take it out by the pool and think this is perfectly alright. We need to remember the cruise line is in the business of making money. Most of us would not walk into our favorite restaurant or bar with our own bottle. NMnita
Old July 18th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Beginner

Default sounds like a good plan

to be honest, the mouthwash bottle seems like a good idea, but the thought of putting mint extract in my vodka turns me off a little
Does security not do the sniff test?

I have read that they will not let you buy liquor to have delivered to your cabin anymore, becuase that would be a perfect solution. any advice on that?

And yes, nmnita, you can rest assured that I will purchase my fair share of alcohol from the cruise line I intend to make this a very fun trip!
by the way, I read on the articles section that drinks only cost from $3 for beer and $5 for mixed drinks. Is that true? I would be a happy person to know that they are not price gouging on the alcohol and more willing to buy on board.
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Admiral

the mouth wash thing doesn't appeal to me at all. As for ordering ahead, the cost is about $40 for a mid range brand like Absolute, J Walker or J Beam. Drinks on NCL will run about $4.50 for beer I think (I am not a beer drinker) The drink of the day will run about $5:00 to $6:00 and regular cocktails in the $6.00 range plus 15% gratuity on all the above. It is wine that is really a bummer: figure anywhere from $6.00 to $8.00 per glass. The best line for not so pricey drinks in Princess, but I am sure they will join the rest very soon. NCL prices run similar to HAL and Celebrity. NMnita
Old July 26th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Passenger

You are not supposed to take alcohol on board. They request that you leave it at the relevant desk. Having said that the drinks are so expensive on board that it's enough to make anybody teatotal! Was amazed to find that the brandy was cheaper that a standard white wine. Assumed this was because people would automatically order white wine and more of it was sold, therefore NCL making yet more profit.
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy
You are not supposed to take alcohol on board. They request that you leave it at the relevant desk. Having said that the drinks are so expensive on board that it's enough to make anybody teatotal! Was amazed to find that the brandy was cheaper that a standard white wine. Assumed this was because people would automatically order white wine and more of it was sold, therefore NCL making yet more profit.
Daisy, I just noticed you are from England, that partly explains your views on the cost of drinks and the tipping policy. I have probably come across as a real crab, I really am not, and I realize your country has totally different policies. While we were on the Jewel last fall (btw, it was our favorite ship) we were traveling with several from Great Britian and they all were appalled at the cost of drinks. Some didn't approve of the tipping policy either. Of course we were shocked when breakfast ata the Gatwick Hilton, with a 10% added tip or service charge, came to $36.00 per person as well. I guess it all works out the same. i am glad you enjoyed the food and the cabin.
Old July 26th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Yeoman

Aren't you allowed to take wine or champagne onboard?
Do they prohibit that too?
Old July 26th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Yeoman

@#$% double post.

My daughter and future SIL are booked on the Star in October and I am looking for info for them!
Old July 26th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
Aren't you allowed to take wine or champagne onboard?
Do they prohibit that too?
Yes, you can bring wine and champagne on board, but you will be charged the $15 up front corkage fee. NMnita
Old July 26th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Passenger

We did a bar set-up (Absolut Vodka) and when we wanted a martini or whatever we would call room service and ask for martini glasses, olives, etc. and they would bring it to our rooms. It was very convenient for us and our friends. We also had wine (someone sent to us) in our room and we actually opened it ourselves and no corkage fee was charged
Old August 6th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to SushiSu

Who do you contact regarding the in room bar deal? Would you go thru NCL or your travel agent you booked with?

Sue
Old August 7th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Beginner

I took a large shampoo bottle and tried for weeks to get the smell out of it. I boiled it over and over and put rubbing alcohol and never could get the smell of shampoo out it. (I was like on a mission) I gave up and just put a bottle of old #07 in my suitcase and got caught. They were nice about it and returned it to me the last night and so I did get to drink it that night. Vodka drinkers will have better luck with the water bottles, but us wiskey people could have problems.
Good luck,
Duane
Old August 7th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushiSu
Who do you contact regarding the in room bar deal? Would you go thru NCL or your travel agent you booked with?

Sue
Here is the number to call: 866-625-1159. they will be glad to help you.

Nita