Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Passenger

Default new employee training pay

can someone tell me how much money norwegian cruise lines pays their new employees while they are in training at Piney Point, MD because they mention something about training pay in their video but they do not say how much.if you know how much it is please reply,if you do not know how much it is please do not reply to this message.please reply a.s.a.p. sincerely,slowjoe
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Passenger

My son went to an interview and was told the training pay is $50 a week with room and board included.
Old July 29th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLB
My son went to an interview and was told the training pay is $50 a week with room and board included.
thanks
Old September 1st, 2006, 10:39 PM
Beginner

Default new employee

hey joe,
i dont recall anything about being paid during training. I technically was hired about 3 weeks ago but i would advise that you spend some time researching the job. from the reviews i;ve read from previous employees they we're lied to and it's not all its cracked up to be. Im supposed to leave in two weeks.....i think im having a change of heart
Old September 2nd, 2006, 07:36 AM
Passenger

Default Re: new employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by michele6136
hey joe,
i dont recall anything about being paid during training. I technically was hired about 3 weeks ago but i would advise that you spend some time researching the job. from the reviews i;ve read from previous employees they we're lied to and it's not all its cracked up to be. Im supposed to leave in two weeks.....i think im having a change of heart
I finally got a response from Linda Arenas at Norwegian Cruise Lines America,she told me that the new employee in training gets $50.00 a week in the form of a check,It is paid bi-weekly. However, depending on when you fall into the pay cycle, it may be 2 to 3 weeks before you see the money. It can also be direct deposited but this takes 2 to 3 weeks to initiate as well.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 05:12 AM
Passenger

I was hired to Norwegian a little while ago and did not need to receive any training before joining the ship, I was given training on board. The big thing for first-timers like myself is safety training, which they gave me on board, I didn't have to take something on land first.

To the person who said they lie, they do. I feel I was intentionally lied to by the cruise line as they paid me $800/month for a job that is supposed to be getting over 1k more. The people who work on board are all great, but in terms of an employee to head office relationship, there are better cruise lines to work for.
Not trying to dissuade you from working for NCL, since I intend to return once they agree to pay me what I should be making, but I'm just saying be careful.
Old September 4th, 2006, 02:22 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDawn
I was hired to Norwegian a little while ago and did not need to receive any training before joining the ship, I was given training on board. The big thing for first-timers like myself is safety training, which they gave me on board, I didn't have to take something on land first.

To the person who said they lie, they do. I feel I was intentionally lied to by the cruise line as they paid me $800/month for a job that is supposed to be getting over 1k more. The people who work on board are all great, but in terms of an employee to head office relationship, there are better cruise lines to work for.
Not trying to dissuade you from working for NCL, since I intend to return once they agree to pay me what I should be making, but I'm just saying be careful.
Was you working for the foreign or the american fleet.Because the american fleet pays more money.
Old September 4th, 2006, 03:23 AM
Passenger

Foreign, I'm Canadian. The money I should have been making was fine, I'm just saying I was given a lower end wage that I should not have gotten, but I didn't find out about that until well after I was on board. Are you working on the US fleet? My only experience is with the foreign.
Old September 4th, 2006, 03:33 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Foreign, I'm Canadian. The money I should have been making was fine, I'm just saying I was given a lower end wage that I should not have gotten, but I didn't find out about that until well after I was on board. Are you working on the US fleet? My only experience is with the foreign.
I am planning on going to work for the american fleet at the end of the year,if I was you I would check into going to work for the american fleet because they pay alot more money.
Old September 4th, 2006, 04:40 AM
Passenger

I read and was told that in order to work for the US fleet you need to be an American.
Old September 4th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Passenger

Quote:
I read and was told that in order to work for the US fleet you need to be an American.
I think all you have to do is get a work permit to work in the U.S.A.
Old September 4th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Admiral

You do not have to be American, but they can only hire a certain percentage of crew members that are not citizens. I think it is 15% but I am not certain. NMNIta
Old September 11th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Beginner

I work for NCLA and in order to work on an American flagged ship you need to hold what is called a z- card or mmd card. Those are issued by the Coast Guard and one of the main requirements is that you be a US cirtizen or hold a resident alien card. NCL has committed to 100% compliance even though technically you can work onboard for up to 2 months as a "contractor". Also since an operation of this size has never been attempted, NCLA is moving faster than the government is used to, and the beauracracy is not quite able to keep up. In other words the USCG kind of makes up the rules as they go along.
Old September 11th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to sunset1823

NCLGuy, did you go through the training in Maryland? If so, what was it like? Did you find any of it difficult? Were people sent home that couldn't cut it?