Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 23rd, 2006, 11:10 PM
Passenger

Default Norwegian Dawn October 7, 2006

We're cruising on the Dawn on the Canada/New England itinerary on October 7, 2006. It's been awhile since we've cruised. My question is actually about getting to the cruise terminal. We are traveling by Amtrak from upstate New York and will be arriving in Penn Station. Are there taxis available or will we have to call one once we're at the station (I know - I sound like a country bumkin!) Also, we have a choice of leaving Albany at 8:00 and arriving at 10:30 OR leaving Albany at 10:00 and arriving at 12:30. Which would be best? Forgive me for sounding rather dumb, but have never travelled on Amtrak before. We're looking forward to cruising again. We haven't been since 2001. We've travelled on Norwegian Wind (before it was stretched), Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas, Dawn Princess and Carnival Elation. We had a great time on all of them. Sorry for rambling - this is my first time on the Board. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

As a frequent Amtrak traveler to Florida (sorry, but I love my sleeper car that includes meals & you can't beat the scenary!), I would take the earlier train. Only because Amtrak does not have the right of way & might have to move over to a side rail to let a passing freight train through. Amtrak is notorious for never being on time.

It would also avoid any delays since once you hit the NYC outskirts, trains slow down if there's traffic in front of them. Penn Station is very busy. Handles all the Amtrak trains going around the country plus the New Jersey trains. It's pretty big. I personally like it better when Amtrak was at Grand Central. It was more organized & less helter skelter.

I'm guessing you are going out of NYC? Once you get out of Penn Station (prepare for a bit of a walk to the escalators & make sure you purse is strapped crosswise over your should with it in front of you), there are a bunch of cabs right in front. Just tell them to take you to the pier (again, assuming you are going out of NYC). Should cost you maybe....$12 or less? The driver will probably be foreign, but he should be able to speak good English. You aren't more than approx. 12 blocks or so from the docks. But its not walking distance,
Old July 24th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Passenger

Thanks so much! We're going to take your advice and take the early train. I'm a little nervous about Penn Station so that will give us some time. We are cruising out of NYC (oops forgot to mention that!). we're looking forward to it and planning is half the fun!