Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Beginner

Default NCL Spirit 08/13/06 .... Mother/Son first time cruisers

We are going on our first cruise and we are so excited and sooo very nervous! So many questions but reading here I think we will be just fine
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

Relax and enjoy yourself try not to do EVERYTHING! Doing your research is very good so you will see what you want to do and what you might want to avoid. Check out the packing threads as they will help you. NCL's website is very helpful in its before you cruise area. any questions just post them and plenty of us will give you our opinions....trust me!!
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old July 24th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Passenger

Welcome to the boards Momma3!

Best wishes for a most enjoyable first cruise! I hope you enjoy the Spirit as much as we did in March!

You will likely get hooked on cruising, like so many of us.

Happy Cruising!

*Norwegian Majesty 9/17/06-9/24/06
*Norwegian Spirit 3/19/06-3/26/06
*Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas 9/22/05-10/2/05
*Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas 5/8/03-5/12/03
*Holland America Westerdam 3/23/01-3/31/01
Old July 24th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Beginner

Hi Momma3...you and your son will love it! I am also going to be on the same cruise with my 7 year old granddaughter (her 7th cruise) and my 3 year old granddaughter (her 1st cruise). Being single I really like the ease of cruising and have converted my eldest granddaughter to a cruising maniac. Everytime we leave the ship she is already counting down to the next cruise. This is only my 2nd time on NCL, I usually cruise on Royal Caribbean (11), Carnival (4) and Disney (1), but from everthing I have read it looks like a very kid friendly ship. I think the freestyle dining will work great with kids. If you have any questions please let me know and I will try to answer.
Old July 25th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Beginner

Thanks to all of you! I can barely wait! I have a feeling I will truely enjoy this, and am already looking into my next Iwould love to be able to bring my other two older boys next time. They have jobs they can't get away from this time with the fact that it was spur of the moment. I just woke up, checked a site and made a call, and will set sail on the 13th. After I pack a few more items I am READY!!
Old July 25th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn
Hi Momma3...you and your son will love it! I am also going to be on the same cruise with my 7 year old granddaughter (her 7th cruise) and my 3 year old granddaughter (her 1st cruise). Being single I really like the ease of cruising and have converted my eldest granddaughter to a cruising maniac. Everytime we leave the ship she is already counting down to the next cruise. This is only my 2nd time on NCL, I usually cruise on Royal Caribbean (11), Carnival (4) and Disney (1), but from everthing I have read it looks like a very kid friendly ship. I think the freestyle dining will work great with kids. If you have any questions please let me know and I will try to answer.

I hope to meet you on the ship. I know my son will be hooked too! He is nervous right now because he has never done anything like this. I think it sounds great for kids. I wonder though if they ever let 12 year olds join in with the next age group? But if they don't he is still going to have a blast. I read that it is best to not book excursions before hand because they are cheaper if you don't but then I also read that if you don't they book up fast. We don't plan on doing too much off the boat but a couple things maybe. What is your idea on that. I also am looking into a way to get to NY pier without my truck because the parking there is outragious! I'll be looking forward to meeting you
Old July 26th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma3
I also am looking into a way to get to NY pier without my truck because the parking there is outragious!
Momma3:

Do you need some ideas on this (if so, where are you driving your truck from?), or are you all set?

*Norwegian Majesty 9/17/06-9/24/06
*Norwegian Spirit 3/19/06-3/26/06
*Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas 9/22/05-10/2/05
*Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas 5/8/03-5/12/03
*Holland America Westerdam 3/23/01-3/31/01
Old July 26th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma3
Quote:

I hope to meet you on the ship. I know my son will be hooked too! He is nervous right now because he has never done anything like this. I think it sounds great for kids. I wonder though if they ever let 12 year olds join in with the next age group? But if they don't he is still going to have a blast. I read that it is best to not book excursions before hand because they are cheaper if you don't but then I also read that if you don't they book up fast. We don't plan on doing too much off the boat but a couple things maybe. What is your idea on that. I also am looking into a way to get to NY pier without my truck because the parking there is outragious! I'll be looking forward to meeting you
Momma, make sure you do get off at each port even is you do not do a tour and do a few. This is part of the fun of cruising. We always do something our first time in any port. After once, sometimes we don't even get off the ship. As for not booking beforehand, the price will be the same. I think what you may be referring to is booking private tours instead of through the cruise line. Many times you can just get off the ship and get together with another couple or another mom and kid and find a driver to take you around or maybe find a snorkeling trip, etc. I might suggest you go to the roll call section here or on CC and plan to get together the first night with some others, It's a great way to get to know other people and make some plans.

BTW: NCL is very strict about the age groups for the kids programs. Just look at it this way: he won't be the only 12 year old in that group. I am sure they will hang out together most of the time. NMNita :
Old July 26th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

we are doing the sunny liston tours on the Spirit Sept 30th,it is cheap and easy
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old July 26th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Beginner

We just got back from the NCL Star on 7/2. One thing that helped me in packing since you have to pack for two seasons was the new Ziploc Xl bags. I found them to work better than the space saver bags. You can get alot more clother in your suitcase when you can squeeze the air out of them. There were 3 of us that packed for the 10 days that we would be gone and we made it with 5 checked bags. One the way back the Ziploc bags held our dirty clothes. Getting laundry done on the ship is expensive. On thursday night they left a bag in the cabin and they would wash as much as you could stuff in the bag for $20 and have it back to you on saturday. It didn't hold enough for me to make it worth my while. On exucrsions, be sure to book early any excursion you want to make sure you don't miss as the most popular ones book up early. I booked 2 of mine through the ship as they were ones that were not offered elsewhere. Most independent tour operators work their schedules around the cruise ships. On the Orca Enterprises whale watching that we took in Juneau we were able to stay out alittle longer as everyone on the boat was from the star, but one of the other cruise ships was pulling out early and they had to make sure no one was on there from that boat as they would have had to accomadate their new departure. Be sure to attend the onboard talks about shopping in port. The first one that we went to about shopping in Juneau and Skagway they gave away prices. They also give you a map and tell you about some of the shops, free things that you can get from them etc. We like to look for the local artist and handmade items which were usually not on the map but it helped when finding you way around. In Ketchikan I just gave my son the map along with the list of "free" items. He made a scavenger hunt with it to pick up free items to give to his girlfriend. The freestyle dining was great. We liked not being tied down to eating at the same time each day. One day they served swordfish which was just incredible. Enjoy!
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Beginner

Hey Momma3

It would be great to meet up with you and your son. I am not going to book any excursions until I get on the ship. I was thinking about going to Seaworld when we dock in Port Canaveral but I have had second thoughts. With the time involved in traveling from the pier I think it may be too short of a time to spend at Seaworld and since it is the 3 year olds first cruise I am afraid she might have a "melt down"! Instead I am looking at the beach excursion because it has a shuttle that runs every 30 minutes back to the ship. In Nassau I am thinking about catching a cab and going to Atlantis. I have been there before and it is amazing. If ya'll want to share a cab let me know. I am flying in from Dallas early on the 13th. I usually fly in the night before but this time my schedule wouldn't cooperate.
Old July 30th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Hey Momma3

It would be great to meet up with you and your son. I am not going to book any excursions until I get on the ship. I was thinking about going to Seaworld when we dock in Port Canaveral but I have had second thoughts. With the time involved in traveling from the pier I think it may be too short of a time to spend at Seaworld and since it is the 3 year olds first cruise I am afraid she might have a "melt down"! Instead I am looking at the beach excursion because it has a shuttle that runs every 30 minutes back to the ship. In Nassau I am thinking about catching a cab and going to Atlantis. I have been there before and it is amazing. If ya'll want to share a cab let me know. I am flying in from Dallas early on the 13th. I usually fly in the night before but this time my schedule wouldn't cooperate.
Thanks SLynn
I do plan to do something at each port. I just don't know how far from the boat I will wander away Yes, I can remember my boys at 3 yrs. I could see major "melt down"! What is Atlantis? We are leaving Illinois on the 11th and arriving in Lancaster PA that evening. Then taking a train from PA to NY. It was a little steap for parking at the pier, and gas so we decided on the train. Niether of us have ever been on a train either so this vacation is quite the adventure for us.
Old July 30th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Admiral

Hi momma3,

Atlantis is a resort. When you see a picture you'll probably remember seeing it before! Here's their website:

http://www.atlantis.com/flash.aspx?L...3=imperialClub

Have a great cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013