Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Admiral

Default NCL Poor Customer Service

For the fith tine in several months I've tried to get through to the Lattitude Desk with a problem.. and for the fifth time..I held on for well over one hour...I just hung up. the joke is there is a line to make complaints.. they left fifteen minutes before.... When I go to a travel sh ow. I will make sure that the NCL Sales Mgrs. know how angry I am at them and will not book the cruise I had intended to...and why.. And if that isn't enough I'll let the NCL people on our scheduled cruise loudly know why... I am spitting nails.. one hour on the phone five times and you can't get through!!![/code]
Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Default Re: NCL Poor Customer Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
For the fith tine in several months I've tried to get through to the Lattitude Desk with a problem.. and for the fifth time..I held on for well over one hour...I just hung up. the joke is there is a line to make complaints.. they left fifteen minutes before.... When I go to a travel sh ow. I will make sure that the NCL Sales Mgrs. know how angry I am at them and will not book the cruise I had intended to...and why.. And if that isn't enough I'll let the NCL people on our scheduled cruise loudly know why... I am spitting nails.. one hour on the phone five times and you can't get through!!![/code]
Parrot Mom, I say your comments on the "other" board as well. I wonder what the problem is< I have never had trouble getting through to NCL, getting the right answers? someimes, but I have always gotten right through except for hurricane season last year. That is a whole different story. I don't blame you for being upset. NMNita
Old July 25th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Admiral

Don't know whether to laugh or toss things... This a.m,. at 9:08 a.m. tried to call the "complaint" dept....lol.. and I was on the line for 15 minutes.. I think it's unconscionable to call Lattitudes and be waiting on the phone line for well over one hour.. and this has been EACH AND EVERY TIME... in the past four months... The Supervisor (I have names and times) last night told me they are having "special promotions"..IS HE KIDDING!!! They are always having "special promotions".. I"ve even tried their "travel agents" line,but to no avail... Several months ago...I called regarding my new Lattitudes card and was promised it would be out...I"m still waiting!!! We are due on a cruise 9/10... The supervisor last night told me he could upgrade me one deck up with an obstructed view..and an small onboard credit.. IF I WANTED AN OBSTRUCTED view I could have booked one...for much less $$ than I'm paying now.. Let's just say Nita..that if I were go book or think of booking their t/a next October...I would think hard and long.. Meanwhile, whenI go to a travel show in Boston in January .. the NCL Sales Supervisor is going to get a piece of my mind.. and I'll bring proof..
Old July 25th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Well, just got through on another line...and no wait..lol Was old that our own board compensation was "upped:".. Since I trust nobody.. all papers will be brought with me...right now my ears are sore from being on the phone and my poor birds are waiting to be fed...and it's almost noon..lol BTW Nita.. please let me know what you think of the Jewel...and write me off the board.. I have questions and issues I'd like you to check out..lol
Old July 28th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Passenger

I phoned NCL this week, and held on for 40 minutes.

When they did answer, I got a good reply.
Old July 28th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Admiral

Only 40 minutes~!! As of my mail today I have NOT received the cards I have requested. I was told they were being typed as the Supervisor talked...that was the beginning of this week.. Why I started with the bottom I don't know.. now I'm ticked off and when Parrot Mom is mad.. watch out.. Plan 2 will be instituted after Saturdays mail...
Old July 28th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

when I called and mailed my complaints I got great customer service. They took care of my issues and made me happy....got through after 2-3 minutes.
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old July 28th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Admiral

How would you feel if you've been calling on this item for probably four months!!!! Oh yes.. From May on I have the names of the person/s I've spoken to and the date... I was not asking for anything except a NEW Lattitudes card
Old July 29th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

You don't need your Latitudes card. The charge card/room key will have your Latitudes staus on it. No one ever asks to see your Latitudes card.
Bob
Old July 29th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburke
You don't need your Latitudes card. The charge card/room key will have your Latitudes staus on it. No one ever asks to see your Latitudes card.
Bob
Of course Bob, you are correct; this goes for any of the frequent guest programs like Celebrity Capt Club and so on, but I think Parrot Moms problems had to do with be awarded the right level. There was some dispute on how many times she and her DH had cruised with NCL.

We did the Sea about 2 years ago and for some reason they didn't even have us in the computer. We went and talked to the nice young man who really knew less than most of us. Of course he gave us numbers and said everything would be cleared up by the time we got back to our hometown. NOT: we got ready to sail the Jewel and learned we had cruisedNCL only once and that was on the Sea. Man, what a surprise cause all those times we boarder that other ship they were using the NCL logo. Anyway, long story, I emailed either latitude or guest services as soon as we returned from our Jewel cruise. Everything now is correct except I think they still have one sailing missing. I would like to get that cleared up as well, but it isn't a big deal. NMnita
Old July 29th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Beginner

Quote:
... I was not asking for anything except a NEW Lattitudes card
I don't know...If you read ALL of the various threads that Parrot Mom has posted on concering "her problem", I think it is safe to say this is mainly about the cards, which EVERYONE has said she doesnt need!
Old July 29th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Admiral

Well folks.. there letter with the card came today.. The next time I have a problem I will write to Mr Veitch DIRECTLY. There is also a matter of how many times I have sailed on NCL... it was a matter of principle with me...no benefits really..But, I will tell you.. that Parrot Mom will not forget this incident... and the travel show I mentioned.. I will be carrying all the bits of papers with dates and names involved and since I am/was considering a 15 day cruise on two lines, one of which is NCL, the Sales Supervisor who is always at the show will get a piece of my mind... and since I have a tendency to remember bad service she will have something to think of and in making a decision between the two lines involved will weigh her comments carefully. PARROT MOM holds grudges,lol.. and at my age I don't give a darn.. I will just do it nicely...lol
Old August 1st, 2006, 11:44 AM
First Mate

If I had these type problems I would try another cruise line with much better customer service.Just a thought.
Old August 1st, 2006, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Default Cruise lines

First time I've had these problems with NCL in all these years.. The lesson I should have learned after the first two tries is START AT THE TOP!! Yes, this will be a factor in selecting between NCL and Celebrity for my next cruise... meanwhile 40 more days to go to my beloved Bermuda
Old August 1st, 2006, 07:07 PM
Passenger

We too, had problems getting through the Latitudes line. This was to book our next cruise. Once I finally did reach them (after hanging up 4 times due to being on hold for over 30 minutes each), the woman was so rude that I asked to speak to her supervisor. She covered the phone and passed it to some guy (probably the janitor) who said this woman was the BEST customer service rep he has and he's never received a complaint about her. I informed him that he now did. Both he and this woman had little to no knowledge about the cruise we wanted to book. This will be our 6th NCL cruise and never before have I been treated so rudely and by incompentent personnel.

When speaking w/a representative of NCL at a travel show, he indicated that the custome service calls are now funneled into a "cruise call center". This "call center" takes calls and makes reservations for a number of cruise lines, so the dedication and compliance just isn't there any longer. I guess it's like everywhere in Corp. America where companies try to cut costs and outsource (at the clients expense).

We ended up booking through a third party TA on line (CruisesN-More) via CruiseCompete.com. We've always booked directly through the cruise line, so I'm a bit concerned. Tickets haven't arrived yet (cruise isn't until Nov). I'll wait until mid-Oct before I start to panic.
Old August 1st, 2006, 07:52 PM
Admiral

I am not going to swear the information you got about booking with several cruiselines at a central location is wrong but I am 90% sure it is. Cruise reps, like any rep will say almost anything. This is not meant to say all sales reps are idiots, but just to let you know what is real and what is make believe to them might be the same thing. As for passing the call on, you are probably right about that: when I was a supervisor for a large call center (hotel chain) I caught several agents doing that: if caught they will most likely be looking for another call center for employment but it does happen. A good supervisor will never tell you; this agent is the best in the business (para phrasing here) he may let you know he has faith in the agent, but will add that he intends to look into the issue. NMnita
Old August 2nd, 2006, 11:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

I'm sitting here shaking my head sadly....

First off, have you ever worked for a Call Center? No? I work for one here at a very large, well known Corporation. We shake our heads because you people have NO IDEA what we go through on a daily basis with people.

First of all, it depends on how large the staff at the call center for Norwegian is. Is it only 50 people? 20? 100? The larger the staff, the better off the hold times won't be long.

Also, every customer that calls in is NOT going to be a 2 minute question & off to the next call. On average for cruise line, its probably 10-15 minutes or more. And that's assuming the caller speaks ENGLISH. You'd be surprised on how many people now in the United States don't speak English who move here. These so-called people with the PHD's degrees & speak broken English? I'm sorry, but if you are a Professor at a Ivy League University or work for a large Pharmaceutical company & you don't know what a zip code is??? Houston - we have a problem!

Also, where is their Call Center located? East Coast? West Coast? Overseas in India? By finding this out, you can figure out the traffic times of when they will be the busiest. You can also ask the rep when is the best time to call during THEIR slowest time period. Don't assume you are calling someplace in the United States.

Hold times are 40 minutes? That's it?????? Have you ever called Microsoft or Dell? At least be thankful you get through. And....you aren't getting charged for the phone call.....yet.....

(Our hold times here are less than 5 minutes with 50 people).

Then you get the idiots that yell, scream, moan, whine, etc. to the rep. Listen to their voices. Don't they sound exhausted to you? I called once for my trip last year, the poor guy I spoke to sounded like this. I asked him if he was having some tough passengers & he said "beyond tough".
I understood where he was coming from completely. As I always say, people are so smart they are stupid.

It also depends on who is running the Call Center. At my job, we are not allowed to be rude, hang up, etc. Do they offer you specials? It's because THEY HAVE TO. Not because they want to. It's in their job description & probably have to follow some sort of script as well. Not to mention - your phone call is probably being taped. Be nasty to them & this can backfire on you. You can get "flagged".

If the manager running the call center doesn't give a hoot, then anything goes. So you'll run into CSR reps who are nasty or don't seem to care. I don't know what their guidelines are, you can probably find that out in the job description section on Norwegian's job site. Most people at these call centers are very nice. It's when you get some cranky passengers with nasty attitudes (hey, read the message boards here & look at some of the comments made by people) that it'll ruin your day.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 12:23 PM
Admiral

The person I spoke to for booking my trip was in Oklahoma.. I realize you can get more with honey than vinegar and I did not give anybody a "hard time", but what I did the last few times was ask for the supervisor...and I kept getting two or three different people.. Trust me..I won't let it happen to me again...I am not bashful...and next time after one try at customer service I will go to the Prez of NCL.. Interesting enough when I did get through to the person in the "complaint dept",,, she told me she normally handles complaints AFTER the cruise..lol.. I just shook my head..lol
Old August 2nd, 2006, 07:52 PM
Beginner

Quote:
.. I just shook my head..lol
Yeah... I know what you mean.

Why dont you just go with Carnival?... or some other cruise line that I dont sail on!
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:25 PM
Admiral

Sorry,I'm not the Carnival type!! Did check out the t/a for next year think from Rome or Barcelona, but in all honesty their ships are much too big.. The price quoted with a balcony for two weeks was incredible.. Was on the Fascination once when it was first launched and I vowed never again.. Too much of a party ship.. Okie I've been cruising for more than 20 years and been married for over 50...so you can imagine how old I am... I hold grudges!! Whether it's a cruise line or a store...as a result Carnival and RCI are off my list... Parrot Mom knows what she wants and she wants what she wants..lol There is something very special about the NCL Majesty..and unless you have cruised on it even fewer them I have.. you will know.. It is the most re-booked ship in the NCL line.. They must be doing something right. Sail on a cruise line you don't sail on...lol..You just haven't met Parrot Mom or Parrot Pop and that would be your loss
Old August 2nd, 2006, 10:59 PM
Admiral

Parrotmom, I know how frustrating it can be to deal with NCL's call centers. I cruised on the Spirit back in March and became so annoyed by the poor service I recieved I sent an email directly to Colin Veitch detailing how much money their poor service had cost them. I listed all of the items/services I had attempted to purchase before we cruised and for several reasons was unable to.
Within 24 hours I recieved a call from a gentleman in Mr Veitch's office who cared for all of my issues and even offerred a goodwill gesture to compensate us for our aggravation.

It is sad in this day and age we have to go to such lengths to simply transact business with companies. Its very disappointing. Sorry you're having problems. I hope it gets worked out, but honestly if we let companies get away with this shoddy way of doing business, it will only get worse.

I do agree with you that some of the newer Carnival ships are getting a bit too big but I have not seen much of the party animal behavior that Carnival was so famous for years ago. As a matter of fact the worst I have seen was on the NCL Spirit this past March, but I attribute that to being spring break.

I think I may check out the Majesty since you like her so much. Good luck!
Old August 3rd, 2006, 06:42 AM
Admiral

Default NC:L

Thank you for understanding..Living outside of Boston and having cruised from Miami several years earlier we just didn't care for the hassle of flying to Miami.. We would have a very early flight and a later flight coming back (before we knew about deviations and flying in a day before..It seems the vacation had just had left us exhausted.. When the Royal Majesty came to Boston it was a dream come true for those who don't fly and those that detest the long flights back and forth..The Royal Majesty fitted into a small Celebrity type ship, actually the crew was trained by Apollo. The ship ran into several problems including a sandbar when the owner sold it to NCL The week NCL took the ship over was not pleasant...but that is another story.. We were on the ship a few weeks later when all sorts of engineers came on board with their drawing boards and measuring tapes.. As you may know they cut the ship in half and added over 225 more cabins, a new pool, dining room, sun deck and more shops. The beauty of the Majesty is that we can leave out home at 1130, be at the Black Falcon Pier at 12:00...drive up and have our luggage taken out of the car by PLEASANT longshoremen, park our car across the road in a covered facility and be on the ship at 1:00 p.m. or earlier....we are on vacation.. The ship leaves Boston Harbor at 5:00 p.m. and arrives in Bermuda on Tuesday morning. The ship sits in the beautiful and charming town of St. George until Friday at noon..You are in the same spot for three plus days...taking buses and high speed ferries you go to Hamilton or the Dockyard.. None of if this is Tuesday you must be in Cozumel and Wednesday your in Grand Caymens... it's civilized...giving you a chance to explore this wonderful island where Bermudians actually like tourists andthe children are so polite.. After the first bus ride you too will greet the bus driver and thank him as you get off your stop.. If you want glamor the Majesty is not for you, do you want to climb walls or practice your golf this is not for y ou, big shows are no longer on the ship (they used to be), if you want absolute gourmet food the Majesty is not for you, but if y ou want to cruise on a smaller ship and visit Bermuda...this is it.. When the ship arrives in Boston and we depart bag and baggage we are home by 10::30 a.m. What can be easier than that. On top of that for cruisers flying in to Boston...you can practically swim across the Harbor..you can take a five minute taxi ride from Logan airport. Many cruisers come in for a pre-cruise for a few day, because Boston is a historical city, a walking city and there is so much to see..and as a cruiser said to us.. Boston is so clean...no grafitti...she was from NY... If you'd like to share he e=mail of Colin Veitch I'd really appreciate it.. and when you come to Boston I'll be glad to send you to the high points.......and we have many here. parrotmom@comcast.net
Old August 3rd, 2006, 07:56 PM
Beginner

I agree, NCL has the WORST phone customer service. A few weeks ago I tried calling every day for 5 days and waited on hold for 1 hr, 2 hrs, whatever - until I'd finally hang up. When I finally got through, the guy on the line was mentally challenged and could NOT help me.
I always book my NCL cruises through Expedia!
Old August 3rd, 2006, 10:35 PM
Admiral

Default Service

Didnt think I was the only one, but customer service should be a priority... The only thing I know is that I need a cruise...badly. thanks for the support
Old August 4th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Captain

I have worked in customer service and sales calls centers for a good portion of my life. A fundemental switch has happened over the last few years (other than most of it being outsourced to India-Disney is now from India for their reservations etc) is that the focus is more on SALES and less on Customer Service. Fix a customers problem by selling them something! Thats why I have switched to Real Estate and am very happy I did.
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old August 9th, 2006, 10:51 PM
First Mate

I found out from another board that the e-mail address for ncl-customer service is customerservice@ncl.com.

It might be easier to send an e-mail, than hang on the phone for long periods. People said that they did receive replies.

I hope that this helps.

Barb
Old August 9th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Admiral

Next complaint goes right to the top.. Colin Veitch... forget the underlings Barb..
Old August 10th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Captain

Parrot Mom,
Are you calling the correct number? Everytime I call I get right through. I called the NCL Lattitudes number to get my cards replaced and change our address and the phone rang 4 times then was picked up by a rep. I also called the complaint line just to check it out and got right through also. I will look the numbers I called again and post them just in case they are different from the ones you have used in the past.
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Admiral

Absolutely,positively... the Lattitudes... even tried the special number on our cruise tickets that told us to call if there was a problem. The quickest response was the "complaint line"...lol.. the cards did arrive two weeks ago.. As an aside I've called for info two other cruise line for information and quickly had reps on the line..
Old August 10th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Admiral

I just don't know why some of us get right through and others have so much trouble. Yesterday I called resv (I will admit we do have a special number as agents) and got through on the sencond ring; I also called latitude, the same number everyone else uses and also got right through. The gal I spoke with was very pleasant and answered my question. all I needed was latitude numbers for some clients and to know how many sailings they had. NMnita