Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Passenger

Default "Sun" Balconies - Obstructed by steel?

Q1: Hi, I had read within an earlier W. Carib on the Sun thread about a poster's reference that the Su'ns balconies were "steel". We are thikning to book a balcony suite (or PH suite ) Cat AB or AD and were curious if ALL the balconies are steel or not? Are they all obstructed visually by steel? Are there any which are not visually obstructed by steel construction. (Edited by moderator to remove link to commercial site).

Q2: We are flexible about our bookig dates and would prefer a less crowded sailing ad defiitely one without school kids on vacation (sorry Moms nothig personal- been there doe that already , mine are long grown now) (). Other than avoiding Mardi Gras ( FEB 20th due to flying into New Orleans), are there any specific dates TAs might advise that might be less crowded? Any particular weeks between late January - mid-March that might be historically lower in pricing?

Waiting just a bit longer to book & deposit thinking maybe mid-late August might see some price drops. However now that I just heard on the news about a busted BP Alaskan pipeline - this may have an effect on pricing soon due to once again higher fuel costs.

We are very much looking forward to some ports we have not investigated to the extent we wished we had time on earlier cruises - especially Guatemala, Belize, and Cost Maya. Anyone done an independent dunebuggy on Cozumel?

Thanks a lot .

X Xpedition December 2007
X Alaska Sept. 2007
NCLSUN FEB 2007 ?
HAL Masdam New Engand/Canada SEPT. 30, 2006
NCL Pride of ALOHA JUNE 9, 2006
Radisson Paul Gaughin 2003
Celebrity Galaxy 2003 & Meridian
RCCL Radiance of the Sea 2002
NCL SS Norway 2000
Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm not sure what you mean by steel balconies because the whole ship is steel - I'm sorry just don't understand - please clarify. I had an aft balcony on the Sun last December and the "roof" was only about 12 inches so had a complete view of everything and lots of sun but also lots of rain.

First of March you will hit College Spring Break right on and that is WORSE than small kids - I did that once and BIG HUGE mistake. Stay in Feb and January if want to avoid kids. Mid January (or right after NEw Years cruise) to late January are typically the cheapest as everyone blew their money on Christmas and the kids are going back to school..

Hope this helps. Debbie
Old August 9th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper
I'm not sure what you mean by steel balconies because the whole ship is steel - I'm sorry just don't understand - please clarify. I had an aft balcony on the Sun last December and the "roof" was only about 12 inches so had a complete view of everything and lots of sun but also lots of rain.

First of March you will hit College Spring Break right on and that is WORSE than small kids - I did that once and BIG HUGE mistake. Stay in Feb and January if want to avoid kids. Mid January (or right after NEw Years cruise) to late January are typically the cheapest as everyone blew their money on Christmas and the kids are going back to school..

Hope this helps. Debbie
Hi Debbie
Thank you for reply.
Sorry if I was unclear about the steel - guess what I meant was if the viewing area when in your lounge was glass, plexiglass or solid steel. On the RCCL Radiance of the Seas- the main structure was g a clear transparent material (plexiglass or glass) , on the Aloha Owners Suite - the balcony came up to about chest high and was solid steel.
Thanks for tip on college kids alomost forgot that.

I went ahead - took the leap and booked FEB 4th Sun a few days ago.
Take Care
Old August 17th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

That is a great time to go! I think you are goin to be before Mardi Gras but might want to check if you plan on booking a hotel you might need to book early...

Thank you for clarifying - sorry I just had drawn a blank! The balcony is steel up to about 2-3 feet I guess maybe. You can see through the railing when sitting down. The bottom is steel but then there is railing and then about 4 feet it is open for viewing. It was fine - I forgot I had asked that same question last year before going....

Have a great time! If you go through the Observation Lounge at the very front you can go out doors (not easy to see) and you will be over the bow with an unobstructed view right above the suites. Great place and no one was ever there! The back of the ship by the pool is pretty cut up so it gets confusing trying to get to the pool area. Sometimes you could walk through the restaurant but if they were serving you couldn't and had to walk through the tables in the alternate dining. Go to the buffet outside in the morning and they are much less crowded and have dried bananas and fruit of all kinds that made great snacks for taking on tours...

Debbie
Old August 17th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the info Debbie - good to hear from you again.
Having fun reseraching the various Latin ports. I think we booked an CAT AD #9002 if I recall. So are you planning a next cruise?
Take Care
Old August 18th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

We are now booked on the NCL Dream out of Houston. I'm thinking we will probably like it better believe it not - we will see. I love all the open deck space without glass surrounding everything - the NCL Sun even has glass around the pool deck.... They do not though over the bow in front of the Observation Deck and on the back in the outside dining. You will LOVE the balcony! We just booked an outside cabin this time since there are so few balconies on the NCL Dream they are a lot higher priced..... Wish me luck - I know there are a lot of bad reviews on the ship but we have sailed smaller Carnival ships (Celebration and Jubilee) and really liked the smaller size and didn't miss the centrum... We'll See

Debbie