Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Passenger

Default What to wear to dinner??

Are a nice pair of capris appropriate to wear for dinner in the main restaurant? Trying to figure out what to pack!

Thanks
Rose
Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Beginner

Capris are fine as long as they are not jean. Skirts, dress pants or casual dresses are also fine. We were on the Dawn last week and they didn't seem to enforce the dress code too much, which I was suprised. Although, there were signs that said "no jeans, shorts, tank tops in the dining room after 5:30pm. There were people in shorts.
Have a great cruise!
Old August 25th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Admiral

I don't know about the Dawn, but I have never seen anyone in shorts in the dining room after 6pm: I have seen a few in jeans, very few. As for capris, they are the perfect thing to wear: comfortable but not too casual. I want to wear mine as much as possible before they go out of style which I fear will be in another year or so: 5 years is a long time for something to stay in style, don't you think? I usually wear them at least 3 nights.

Nita
Old August 26th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Passenger

Thanks a bunch! I bought several pairs of capris (both casual and a little dressier). We're doing the New England itinerary in October so thought that they are probably safer than shorts. Thanks again!

Rose
Old August 27th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
I don't know about the Dawn, but I have never seen anyone in shorts in the dining room after 6pm: I have seen a few in jeans, very few.
You should have been on the Grand a couple of weeks back. They let folks in wearing anything they wanted - even on Formal Night!

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old August 27th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
I don't know about the Dawn, but I have never seen anyone in shorts in the dining room after 6pm: I have seen a few in jeans, very few.
You should have been on the Grand a couple of weeks back. They let folks in wearing anything they wanted - even on Formal Night!
I don't even want to hear it!!!!! Seriously, I have never seen anyone in shorts, I have seen and on formal nights some pretty sad clothes, but still within the dress code. You know, I am far from a snob, I like to be comfortable, I love freestyle dress, but I don't care if you are in the grocery store, at the beach, on a ship or where, I like to see people take some pride in their appearance. I am not referring to people who are over weight not cruising or being seen, or those woman who prefer not to wear make up: I am thinking about those in old T shirts that should be used for yard work, gals showing everything they have especially the fluffy ladies like me; this goes for men as well. I think we have all become so casual if everything we do, we have forgotten to show outselves and others respect. Now I will get off the lecture steps for the day.
Old August 27th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Admiral

Jeans, shorts, T-shirts, tennis shoes, etc ....

I asked the dinning room captain why they were not enforcing the dress code? No a response. I wrote on my comment card and also sent Princess a letter. No response.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old August 27th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
Jeans, shorts, T-shirts, tennis shoes, etc ....

I asked the dinning room captain why they were not enforcing the dress code? No a response. I wrote on my comment card and also sent Princess a letter. No response.
Not good and I still wouldn't want to try it. I guess I am just an old Fart!! Actually I am a pretty relaxed dresser, DH is taking a tux on our NOv cruise because we have heard lots of men wear them on HAL, but if he had his choice: no way, nor would he go looking like a slob!!! NMnita
Old August 28th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Familiar Face

We're new to NCL so this "Resort Casual" and "Formal Night" have me really confused. From what I've read, resort casual is always acceptable in the dining room. Then why do they have formal night? If we choose not to bring "Formal" outfits (suit for DH and dressy dress for me) are we not allowed to eat in the main dining rooms on "Formal Night"?

Just trying to understand the difference.
Old August 28th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Admiral

Resort casual is not appropriate for the formal nights. As I posted above, you might get by with it, but it is not the propper code for those nights.

Old August 28th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyroot
We're new to NCL so this "Resort Casual" and "Formal Night" have me really confused. From what I've read, resort casual is always acceptable in the dining room. Then why do they have formal night? If we choose not to bring "Formal" outfits (suit for DH and dressy dress for me) are we not allowed to eat in the main dining rooms on "Formal Night"?

Just trying to understand the difference.
This is one of the unique things about NCL: resort casual is accepted every night, but this does not mean Jeans, it means polo shirts or sport shirt for the guys and slacks, sun dresses or capris for the gals. SHorts no, formal night is formal, optional. You can choose to do the suit or sport jacket for Hubby and nicer dress for you, but you will not be out of place if you choose resort casual for formal night optional as well. you will see about 25% dress very formally, 35% in nice sports outfits and cute dressy sun dresses and rest more casual. Do what makes you happy: again NO JEANS OR SHORTS>>>>>>NMni
Old August 29th, 2006, 08:21 AM
First Mate

When we go, I usually pack several summer "resort casual" dresses for dinning on regular nights. Then on formal night, DH wears a suit and tie and Me a fancy dress. But you are right about the nonenforcing the dress code. On the jewel, on regular dinning night We saw a triple whammy....a man wore JEAN SHORTS complimented by a BASEBALL CAP! geeze! I think if you want to cruise where the dress code is enforced, you will have to cruise HAL. But, I really dont let it bother me because of the freestyle dinning. It's like going to a fancy restraunt with your DH. Just a table for two, enjoying each other the food and the ocean view![/u]
Old August 29th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo
When we go, I usually pack several summer "resort casual" dresses for dinning on regular nights. Then on formal night, DH wears a suit and tie and Me a fancy dress. But you are right about the nonenforcing the dress code. On the jewel, on regular dinning night We saw a triple whammy....a man wore JEAN SHORTS complimented by a BASEBALL CAP! geeze! I think if you want to cruise where the dress code is enforced, you will have to cruise HAL. But, I really dont let it bother me because of the freestyle dinning. It's like going to a fancy restraunt with your DH. Just a table for two, enjoying each other the food and the ocean view![/u]
Nope,not even HAL, go to the HAL board on CC and see what they have to say. I will admit, not nearly as many complaints: it probably has to do with the age of the cruisers on HAL. Still many are upset with the way people show up for dining on all lines. I will say Celebrity, or at least on the Zenith, did enforce the policy in December. I saw several couples in jeans turned away and we had a situation the last night. There were about 25 of us cruising for our granddaughter's wedding, some late seating, some early. One of our granddaughters friends needed to ask me a question about debarkation the next day. We were in the dining room (early seating) all she wanted was to pop in but had to almost sign her life away just to get through the door even though she wasn't eating. She hadn't changed for dinner and she was wearing jeans. NMnita
Old August 29th, 2006, 12:47 PM
First Mate

Thats interesting. The cruise we took this past april...we were torn who to try. We narrowed it down between HAL and NCL (had never done them). We ended going with NCL , one of the main reasons being...I thought I read the men are required to wear a jacket on HAL everynight. DH said NO WAY! But paper can say anything, if they don't enforce it then what does it matter?
Old August 29th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Passenger

On formal nights NCL should have a formal only dining room. It detracts from th experience to be dressed nicely and have someone next to dressed casually.
Old August 29th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Beginner

I agree Steve!
Old August 29th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve3
On formal nights NCL should have a formal only dining room. It detracts from th experience to be dressed nicely and have someone next to dressed casually.
Steve, they tried that originally but somewhere along the way it disappeared. I agree with you. NMNita
Old August 30th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Familiar Face

This is one of the unique things about NCL: resort casual is accepted every night, but this does not mean Jeans, it means polo shirts or sport shirt for the guys and slacks, sun dresses or capris for the gals. SHorts no, formal night is formal, optional. You can choose to do the suit or sport jacket for Hubby and nicer dress for you, but you will not be out of place if you choose resort casual for formal night optional as well. you will see about 25% dress very formally, 35% in nice sports outfits and cute dressy sun dresses and rest more casual. Do what makes you happy: again NO JEANS OR SHORTS>>>>>>NMni [/quote]

Thanks Nita, it did seem confusing. I like dressing up so we'll probably be in that 25% anyway, but I wanted to get it clarified as we're traveling with friends who don't care to dress to the 9's.

And I would NEVER wear Jeans or shorts to dinner!!! :o
Old September 1st, 2006, 04:56 PM
Beginner

Count me in the group that is thrilled that I don't need to bring along dressy clothes. Luggage space is too valuable to waste it on fancy duds that I don't want to wear anyway!

To me, it's a real plus that NCL makes formal night optional. Can I ask to be seated at an informal table so I don't offend those of you who prefer to sit among the more formally dressed?
Old September 1st, 2006, 09:06 PM
Admiral

deb, you will be fine but please don't wear the tank top with the words "kiss my a## on it to dinner; save it for breakfast.
Old September 2nd, 2006, 06:38 AM
Passenger

Default slobs in dining room

I am sure if people could go into dining room in bathing suits they would, what is this world coming to? I wish the cruiselines would inforce the policy that on formal nights everone dresses for it, otherwise go up to the buffet on top of the ship for your supper and there you can wear what you want. Getting cheesed off with the cruiselines not enforcing their laws and making cruising not as classy as it used to be.
Old September 2nd, 2006, 08:56 AM
Admiral

Default Re: slobs in dining room

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelnut2
I am sure if people could go into dining room in bathing suits they would, what is this world coming to? I wish the cruiselines would inforce the policy that on formal nights everone dresses for it, otherwise go up to the buffet on top of the ship for your supper and there you can wear what you want. Getting cheesed off with the cruiselines not enforcing their laws and making cruising not as classy as it used to be.
Travelnut, there are lines that do require formal dress on formal nights, these same lines offer tradtional dining and are very popular with those who want to keep things the way they used to be. My feeling, we are living in the world of 50 years ago (for good or bad isn't the point) Our society is much more casual and with that comes casual dress. Golly who wants to go back to the days of girdles or worse, corsets like my grandma used to wear? I do have problems with some clothes I see on ships and elsewhere, but love not having to lug all the extra clothes, the tux, the extra shoes, etc. I also agree, if there is a dress code (this is not a law may I add) it should be enforced but NCL doesn't have the same dress code as other lines. This is why so many people are switching over. Just my humble opinion.

NMnita
Old September 15th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Passenger

Hi
This will be our 1st cruise and we are taking it with NCL. I read that formal night would have a separate dining area and everybody else not dressed for formal night would go to the other restuarants on board. I am just wondering if this is true or not. Cause what I am reading is that everybody eats at the same place no matter what.
Old September 15th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by myholly
Hi
This will be our 1st cruise and we are taking it with NCL. I read that formal night would have a separate dining area and everybody else not dressed for formal night would go to the other restuarants on board. I am just wondering if this is true or not. Cause what I am reading is that everybody eats at the same place no matter what.
Holly, that used to be the case, but no more: Why, I don't know except maybe it became too difficult to determine what should be considered appropriate for formal dining or maybe there was an overflow of diners in one dining room over the others. Regardless, this isn't the case. Most people will dress a little nicer on formal nights than other times and if you feel like dressing to the nines you won't be out of place, it you choose to dress more casually the same, you won't stand out. Mostly you are going to see men in nice sport shirts and jackets, polos with or without jackets and a many wearing ties. Some will, indeed be wearing dress shirts and suits with a few tuxes. Gals, mostly in sun dresses or after five outfits. There will be some in long dresses and some wearing capri outfits. As you can see, almost anything will work. You won't see many dressed too casually. NMNita
Old September 15th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Passenger

Hi,
So what I am getting is that on the NCL cruise lines you don't really have to worry about bringing anything extreme formal but if you want one night of dressing up something that you would wear to a sit down dinner wedding would be find. Why I am wondering is because I want to bring a nice cocktail dress but my DH hates to wear a suit. So what I am gathering is that he can wear a nice button shirt with slacks and still be able to come to dinner with me.

Thanks,
Holly
Old September 15th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by myholly
Hi,
So what I am getting is that on the NCL cruise lines you don't really have to worry about bringing anything extreme formal but if you want one night of dressing up something that you would wear to a sit down dinner wedding would be find. Why I am wondering is because I want to bring a nice cocktail dress but my DH hates to wear a suit. So what I am gathering is that he can wear a nice button shirt with slacks and still be able to come to dinner with me.

Thanks,
Holly
you have it right on the button. I don't blame him for not wanting to worry about the suit thing. that is one of the reasons we love freestyle. DH hates the suit thing as well: more than the suit it's the lugging all that stuff. NMNita
Old September 15th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Passenger

Thanks for your help. I really do appericate it.
Old September 16th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to Ocean12

Hi,on our first cruise there was a resturant for non formal dining,but the formal dressed people were coming into eat.So I guess it really doesn't matter what one wears as long as it is at least casual...men pants,polo shirt etc.

Ok a question.Was wondering what to do on my next cruise.I may not want to dress casual,but eat in the buffett wearing shorts.If I choose to do this,does this mean I wouldn't be allowed in the casino,shows etc?Would I have to stay outside on the deck or stay in my cabin?I have asked this question before but I can't get an answer (wasn't on this board).I really want to have a good time,but I also would like to know what is proper.

thanks
Old September 16th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Admiral

Ocean12 and others,

Although NCL doesn't follow the same policy as other lines when it comes to remaining in the same clothes after dinner there is a policy of no shorts in any public area after 6pm. Will this be enforced? I don't think so, I am sure I have seen people in the casino and shows in shorts. You may get a little chilly as the showroom, particularly can be a bit nippy. NMNita
Old September 18th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to LITTLESTAR Send a message via Yahoo to LITTLESTAR

We were on the Jewel in July and we ate in tsars only one nite and most people were in resort casual. IMHO the reason why most people dress formally is because they like to have their pictures taken.
We travel with another couple most cruises and we stopped bringing "dress clothes". Us men wear dockers and a regular collar shirt and the women wear pants or those long summer dresses. We enjoy the freestyle dining and usally eat in a different restaurant each nite.

STAN

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]