Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 27th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Familiar Face

Default Pier Parking

NYC Pier Parking

oes anyone know if there was ever a problem getting a parking place at the pier in NYC? I would hate to drive there and not be able to park the car.
Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Parking at New York City piers

We drove to the pier in Manhatten in May for a cruise on the Spirit. We did not have any problem with parking and when we returned, we noticed that the parking lot was not completely full even though the ship was sold out. Please note that there are actually four (correct me if I am wrong) piers, that are all connected by the same ramp. You would normally park at the lot on top of the pier that your ship is docked at, however even if that lot were full, there are still the other ones available. The only difference is that you would have to walk further to get back to your pier.

Anyways, we were able to park immediately and right by the front of the pier where the elevators are located. You go to the first floor and the baggage men are right there to check your luggage.

When we returned, we breezed though customs and were in our car and out to the Holland Tunnel within 20 minutes of leaving the ship.

We were very pleased with the logistics considering this was our first time driving in NYC and have a brand new car. The ramp is well lit and guarded with bomb-sniffing dogs.
Old August 30th, 2006, 01:35 PM
First Mate

I've sailed out of NYC 6 times in the last 5 years and I've never had a problem with parking. Always plenty available.
NCL Dream - '08
Carnival Miracle - '07
NCL Dawn - '06
NCL Spirit - '06
Carnival Legend - '05
NCL Dawn - '04
NCL Dawn - '03
NCL Sea - '02
Cunard QE2 - '98
Old September 7th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Familiar Face

Default NYC parking

Did you have a backup plan if the lots had been full?

Would they be helpful if you called a few days ahead and asked about
availability?

Sue in Vermont
Old September 7th, 2006, 01:55 PM
First Mate

We never had a back-up plan.....I guess just parking in the city somewhere.

When you call the number for info, you can't talk to a real person. It's just a recording.

Seriously though, you should be fine.
NCL Dream - '08
Carnival Miracle - '07
NCL Dawn - '06
NCL Spirit - '06
Carnival Legend - '05
NCL Dawn - '04
NCL Dawn - '03
NCL Sea - '02
Cunard QE2 - '98
Old September 23rd, 2006, 10:01 AM
Beginner

Sailed out of NY four times since 2003, and parked at the pier three of those, all without a problem. We arrive early, maybe 11:30 or so, and there is minimal traffic and plenty of parking available. Based on reading message boards, we never developed a back up plan due to the positive reviews. The only thing I try to do is check the NYC activity for that day to make sure we weren't running into a big event where traffic might be a problem.

As an aside, the only problem we have ever had was when we decided to take an NCL arranged bus to and from the pier because of our December departure. Upon debarkation, the bus waited about an hour for a passenger who never did show up, so parking at the pier is the only way to go for us. It is a little pricey, but you can't beat the convenience.