Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 1st, 2006, 12:52 PM
Passenger

Default NCL Bridge Officers life...

Hi everybody. I am interested to know how is the life of the Officers onboard NCL vessels. I cannot see any picture of the Bridges and all the time the Captain pics are the only ones at the web. Please if somebody have any information and pictures, from the NCL Bridges and their Officers please send it to chris_rivero@hotmail.com and / or post it here!!! I am a bridge pics collector!!! Thanks ....
Old September 1st, 2006, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Hi Chrisriv,

Welcome to Cruisemates!

I can't answer your question, but try posting it in the Crewmembers section here:

http://cruisemates.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=36

Maybe someone there can help you,

Inspiration2002CarnivalElation2004
GrandPrincess2004NCLSun2005
SunPrincess2006NCLDream2007
CaribbeanPrincess2007NCLDawn2008
IslandPrincess2008IslandPrincess2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Carnival Magic 2015 Coral Princess 2015
Old September 2nd, 2006, 08:44 PM
Admiral

Christy, you should cruise NCL's Spirit. There is a spiral staircase and it leads to an area enclosed in glass that is basically a bridge viewing area. We frequenly went down there to observe the officers and it is absolutely fascinating. I have never seen anything like it on other ships we have sailed. Even though you're not looking for pics of the Captain, you may change your mind when you see the Hotteeeee that Captains this ship, Especially in his dress whites...Wow!
Old September 7th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Familiar Face

Excellent information, Beenie Weenie. I'm on the Spirit 11/19 and
I've really missed the interaction with officers on these huge ships.

Couldn't even get one to smile at me the last two cruises!

Do you remember what deck the spiral staircase goes up from?

A Fan of Dress Whites
Old September 10th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Admiral

OK you'll want to go into the "Galaxy of the Stars" lounge and walk toward the front of the ship. Just to the left of the bandstand there is a railing and a spiral staircase that goes down to the viewing area. Also you will see all sorts of nifty certificates and memorabilia dating back to when the ship was first christened as the Superstar Leo, including a very cool Dragon, and the bridge viewing area. I am surprised more people don't know about it. but I only saw a handful of folks check it out. Now when you go back up to the Galaxy of Stars, walk past the bandstand toward the front of the ship and the floor to ceiling windows and you'll find a replica of an old fashioned ship's bridge complete with the old brass compass and ships wheel. You'll also find radar and navigation screens which were really nice to track our location as we raced the Dawn back to NYC from the Bahamas.

I really do love this ship. The asian influence is so prevalent everywhere you go and it is so unique and has a lot of charm and character. I would love to sail her again, but on a different itinerary. I absolutly loved the friendly staff in the speciality restaurants. They treated us very well. We tried a new restaurant every night. However, I found several of the staff in the buffet and Windows to be somewhat indifferent. However it was no biggie since I was just thrilled to have someone take my order and bring food to me and the kids, so I didn't have to jockey food from the buffet for the three of us. I really am beginning to dislike buffets for breakfast and lunch and find myself opting whenever possible for sit down meals so I can relax and don't have to deal with lines and crowds, but this is on just about any cruise line and not just the Spirit. If it were just me I wouldn't care, but its a hassle if you have to forage food for 3 people. That is the best part of cruising these days...so many wonderful choices!
Old September 10th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to danielkelley

The STAR has a peek-a-boo look at the bridge from the lounge. You have to time it right, but you can peer into he brifge control room. I have to believe that there are pictures of the view SOMEWHERE. I regret that I have none, but I want you to know that viewinfg the bridge is easy on the STAR.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:48 PM
Beginner

Default Re: NCL Bridge Officers life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisriv
Hi everybody. I am interested to know how is the life of the Officers onboard NCL vessels. I cannot see any picture of the Bridges and all the time the Captain pics are the only ones at the web. Please if somebody have any information and pictures, from the NCL Bridges and their Officers please send it to chris_rivero@hotmail.com and / or post it here!!! I am a bridge pics collector!!! Thanks ....
We were on the 9/17 sailing of the Majesty to Boston. They offered bridge tours on the days we were in St. George, except for Thursday as we left early Thursday night. This may be a tradition that NCL is reestablishing after a long interuption due to 9/11. It was a very interesting tour and I think my wife took a few pictures as well. If the Majesty is doing the bridge tours, perhaps the other ships in the fleet may start doing so as well.
Old October 6th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Passenger

Default Re: NCL Bridge Officers life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisriv
I e-mailed you my NCL Jewel pics. Within them are many pics from the bridge viewing room at the front of Deck 11.

Also, there are some pics of the monitors showing engine and navigational information. These monitors were in the bridge viewing room.
Old October 8th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Passenger

Default Many Thanks FlyerGirl

Hi FlyerGirl, I saw your beautiful pics taken from Jewel. Thank you so much... Please if you have more pictures about ship bridges don't hesitate to post it or send it to my mail...

To all members I would like to clarify a situation regarding the Cruise Bridge Tours. After September 11 the IMO (International Maritime Organisation), release a new rules code called ISPS (International Ship & Port Security) which all Companies shall to comply. The code had been made in order to prevent the risk of Terrorism, Piracy and criminal offenses onboard the ships and Ports. The Cruises then, modified their policies regarding some of the management and sensitive information about the ships control. As you might know, the Bridge or wheelhouse is the control center of all the operational and navigational matters. All the Firefighting panels, stability, Engine Room and Safety are comprised over there. Could you imagine if any terrorist (I'm not talking about Arabians or middle east born people)...is able to handle any control system like ballast tanks or activate alarm panel...Could you imagine the panic? Well that's the reason nobody could blame the Cruise lines about the bridge and engine room restrictions (I mentioned "restrictions" because the Captain has all the rights to invite to the bridge "selected" passengers, and/or the Officers, if you meet one of us, could manage with the Staff Captain or Master a visit to this areas). As advice: Pay more attention about the white dressed Officers of the Bridge, we could offer to you the great experience ever!!