Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 13th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to LITTLESTAR Send a message via Yahoo to LITTLESTAR
Default ART AUCTION COMPANY AND NCL CONTRACT DISPUTE

We were on the Jewel in July and we attended the art auction on board which was at the time run by Fine Art Wholesalers. I was very lucky and won the raffle for a very nice piece of art. I was beginning to wonder when it would arrive and called the art company in Florida.
Lo and behold i was told that they are in a contract dispute with NCL and a new company took over the auction. They are known as Fine Art of Cruising.
I then called NCL and without even questioning me, they sent me to the new company. Called them and was told they are trying to get the art from the prior company. The service felt that the art wasn't going to be sent and refunds would be sent.
The thing is, I won something and many people spent thousands on the 2 days of auctions. Shouldn't NCL and the new company have notified the cruisers of the problem and given us a choice of something of equal value or money back.
I was so elated when i won and now my balloon has been shot down.
thanks
STAN

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Admiral

just to fill everyone in on this a little: I wouldn's call it a dispute: what really happened as I understand it: the company went bankrupt.

Again, as I understand it the company just rented space from NCL, but still NCL should be held responsible for anything that was pruchased. My DD and I went to the first day auction of the now defunk company: she has purchased thousands of dollars of art work from auctions held on ships; I have just a coupld of very inexpensive peices: Both of us were appalled with these guys. I am sorry for those who are still trying to get their art work, but glad these guys are gone from NCL. NMnita
Old September 14th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

If the company went bankrupt, the art auction should have NEVER been held. You don't do anything of that sort when a company is in bankruptcy status.

NCL if they knew about this, should never have held the auction and should have been honest with passengers. I think nearly everyone would have been fine with this.

If you paid with a credit card, immediately call them (like NOW) & cancel the transaction & advise them of this. They will reverse the charges.
Old September 14th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra
If the company went bankrupt, the art auction should have NEVER been held. You don't do anything of that sort when a company is in bankruptcy status.

NCL if they knew about this, should never have held the auction and should have been honest with passengers. I think nearly everyone would have been fine with this.

If you paid with a credit card, immediately call them (like NOW) & cancel the transaction & advise them of this. They will reverse the charges.
It may be too late to cancel: I hope not. I don't know if NCL was aware of the situation. I am just getting this in bits and pieces. I do hope everyone and there have been several get their paintings or their money back. NMNita
Old September 17th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Admiral

Default Art Auction Update

Although there were works by Fine Arts on the wall, Fine Arts and Park West are no longer with NCL.. Another company cae on board in Boston and Saturday had a display..Unfortunaely, IMHO the works were boring...othe artists will be coming onboard witth the company shortly..But ifyour a Tarkey, Kincaide, Peter Maxx or others of the style tht Park West had... or even what I saw of fine arts.. youll be very disappointed..[/list]
Old September 18th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Admiral

Reading reviews on another site, apparently the ships doing Alaska last week had no art Auctions: that's fine with me. NMNita
Old September 18th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Admiral

Default ArtAuctions

Nita.. the only positive thing was that we saved $$$.. Fine Arts had left some Marilyn Monroe pictures and I know Parrot Pop coveted them......badly..lol
Old September 18th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Passenger

Just a followup to my original post. I called master charge and put a dispute on the charge. They understood what happened. I hope that those who paid mucho bucks for pictures have done the same.
I don't mind the auctions because it just breaks up the day for me as i don't stay out by the pool a whole day.
Thanks for the replies so far.

Stan

Old October 6th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Beginner

I just got a letter from Fine Art Wholesalers saying that because of a legal action by NCL, "other than the samples that are used at the auctions, neither NCL nor the new concessionaire has the artwork and framing you purchased. The artwork is in the inventory of Fine Art at its warehouse ..." The letter went on to say that we could either accept another piece of art from NCL or the current concessionaire different from the purchase art, accept the sample used in the auctions, or pay Fine Art directly and receive the art and frame purchased at the auction. I then called NCL. The customer service rep told me that they have the right to confiscate the art in the Fine Art warehouse that was purchased at the auctions, and that their new concessionaire, Fine Art of Cruising, would be handling the deliveries. She gave me the phone number of Fine Art of Cruising so that I could "expedite my order." I called FAC, and they said that in some cases, the purchased artwork had been on the ship, and they actually had that art in their possession, while in some other cases, the purchased art was still in the Fine Art Wholesalers warehouse. She was unable to tell me the status of my purchases, but she said that they were planning to confiscate the art from the Fine Art Wholesalers warehouse, and the purchased art should be shipped to everyone by the end of November. She added that I could try to check on the status of my order in 2-3 weeks, when they would hopefully know more. I kept trying to get more details, because while I don't mind waiting till the end of November (I liked the art that I purchased), I don't want this to drag on and if it does, I plan to get a refund. She was unable to give more details. I confirmed with her (and had confirmed with NCL) that I would be able to get a refund if this was going on past November. So I will wait for the time being and check back. But I'm wary ...
Old October 6th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Admiral

I bet you could just scream at this stage; It does sound like you guys are, at least getting some type of answers, but not what you want to hear. I am glad it is you and not me trying to deal with everyone involved: I am sorry it is anyone, but I would be livid by now. NMnita
Old October 6th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Admiral

Default Fine Art of Cruising

When we were on the Majesty 9/10 they were setting upand had an introduction...no auction.. From many, many art auctions I know that these pieces that they had will not go.. The woman said they were working and finalizing with many artists..
Old October 6th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

This confirms my suspicions about these auctions. I doubt that I would ever attend one in the future.
Old October 6th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Default Auctions

Sorry to hear that, but we have enjoyed the auctions for many years and our home is filled with art that WE LOVE... Neither one of us gambles or drinks and this is our passion.Unforunately, we have run out of wall space... although at this moment Im having two more pieces framed.. One of the first pieces I bought I could not afford not.. it has gone way, way up on auction prices..but we don't buy things for the future appreciation,but for now.. P.S. its also a great education..
Old October 6th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Well, everyone has thouths on this subject I am sure: I did like the auctions presented by Park West. That being said, I have only 2 pieces of art work purchased on ships (one I purchased, the other was a gift) I have a 3rd one I won and had framed. The one I actually purchased I brought off the ship with me and it is in DH and my office. The other two are in our family room. I agree with Jim but our daughter and son in law are like Parrot mom: they have a house full of art from ships: literally thousands and thousands of dollars worth. Again, it is just a matter of what you like. As I said we did enjoy sitting in on some of the auctions even though we don't buy anything. when on the Sun last April, the new company had taken over> DD and I went to the 1st day auction, thought the dealers were about as phoney as they come: reminded us of someone standing on the corner in downtown anyplace selling Rolex watches for $25.00. We had a couple of glasses of champagne and that was our last visit to the auction. NMnita
Old October 6th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Nita, You are right, the bad reputation of one company (and the failure of the one noted in this thread) can give the entire business a bad name.

Although I have not purchased any items on a cruise, I have admired some of the paintings while walking through the rooms as we waited for a show or other activity.

What scares me away from them is the fact that they offer some pretty high appraisals or value estimates that are also self-serving. I spoke to a lady on our last cruise who had purchased many paintings previously. She had to move to a smaller apartment and decided to sell off some of her artwork. When she went to a well-known dealer with her appraisals in-hand, they told her that the artwork was worth a fraction of what it said on the paper and it was less than what she had paid on the ship.

If you go to the auction and find an item that you like and want at the price that you are bidding, that is fine. Just don't expect that the item you have purchased will be an investment like the auction company would like you to believe.

If there are others who have seen the opposite and have actually made money by selling these artworks for more money on land after the cruise, I would love to hear about it.
Old October 6th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInBuffalo
Nita, You are right, the bad reputation of one company (and the failure of the one noted in this thread) can give the entire business a bad name.

Although I have not purchased any items on a cruise, I have admired some of the paintings while walking through the rooms as we waited for a show or other activity.

What scares me away from them is the fact that they offer some pretty high appraisals or value estimates that are also self-serving. I spoke to a lady on our last cruise who had purchased many paintings previously. She had to move to a smaller apartment and decided to sell off some of her artwork. When she went to a well-known dealer with her appraisals in-hand, they told her that the artwork was worth a fraction of what it said on the paper and it was less than what she had paid on the ship.

If you go to the auction and find an item that you like and want at the price that you are bidding, that is fine. Just don't expect that the item you have purchased will be an investment like the auction company would like you to believe.

If there are others who have seen the opposite and have actually made money by selling these artworks for more money on land after the cruise, I would love to hear about it.
I think it like most things: just because it is appraised at x number of $$s doesn't mean you can get that. THis is the same as jewelry; I read on one thread about the wine auctions on some ships: same type of problems; paying for wine they either are not getting or are waiting 4 months for. I will stay away from all of this. Like you say, if you like the piece and are willing to pay whatever than do it and enjoy. It is also like the time share argument: we happen to have one, are sorry we didn't buy years ago: can we get our money out of it? No way, did we buy it as an investment? NO, but we did buy it for enjoyment and we certainly do enjoy it. NMnita
Old October 26th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Beginner

Default NCL art auction situation

I posted this reply privately to another cruisemate, but I thought everyone would be interested. I just called Fine Art of Cruising again today (they are now the concessionaire for the art auctions on NCL) for an update. They told me that NCL is definitely in the process of offloading the art from the ships now. FAC expects to be contacting passengers who purchased artwork by the second or third week of November to confirm which pieces they purchased and the shipping information, and they expect to actually ship the art by the end of November. They said that if I haven't heard anything at all from them by the end of the third week of November, that I should call and check back.

As I understand it, most of the art that people purchased is on the ships, but in some cases, Fine Art of Cruising might need to get the art from the art publisher. In those cases, it will take longer.

Still keeping my fingers crossed ...
Old October 26th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Admiral

Default Fine Art of Cruising

Okay. so I admit it... we are art auction addicts...While on the Majesty in June FAC was just setting up and we were VERY UNIMPRESSED with what they had.. The auctioneer promised they would be signing many other and more popular artists.. Lining the walls to the dining room were many works that Parrot Pop and I would have killed to buy. but sadly they were being sent back to Park West.... several of Marilyn Monroe..
Old October 26th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Passenger

I found the auctions fun and didn't ever have a problem with them. I agree with the other posters that you are not buying investment pieces. Logic would say stay away from self serving appraisers.
Old November 23rd, 2006, 11:58 AM
Passenger

Default Re: NCL art auction situation

As I understand it, most of the art that people purchased is on the ships, but in some cases, Fine Art of Cruising might need to get the art from the art publisher. In those cases, it will take longer.

Still keeping my fingers crossed ...[/quote]

Glad to hear this. I was waiting till the end of November before calling again to get an update. I would take another piece of art by the same artist at this point.
As I said in my earlier posts, I would like the piece of art rather than any money.
STAN