Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 7th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Beginner

Default Screwed by NCL

My family, consiting of my sister, her husband, son and daughter and my family, husband, and two sons were scheduled to sail on NCL on July 9, 2006 to Alaska. On July 6, my sister's 22 year old daughter commited suicide. Needless to say, we were unable to sail. The whole experience has been surreal and horribly tragic. Neither of us had insurance because of ages in the 40's etc.... NCL refunded my sister her whole amount and and has withheld my $6K stating I should have had insurance. I can understand them stating we all should have had insurance, but by refunding my sister and not myself seems totally wrong. How could I have left in the midst of the tragedy and said see ya, sorry I'll miss the funeral. NCL sucks! : twisted: :evil:

what recourse do I have, short of an attorney?
Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Passenger

I am sorry for your loss---I know this is a very difficult time for you.
I hesitate to post a reply, because I don't want to seem insensitive and I say this with all due respect to you and your family. I don't mean to sound disrespectful at all, but, this is my take on the situation----
I would imagine that they gave your sister her money back, since it was her daughter. With no insurance, they were not required to do even that. I would imagine that they didn't refund your money, as you had not purchased the insurance.
I'm not sure what hiring a lawyer would do, except put money in his pockets. Perhaps your travel agent could contact NCL and explain the situation to them. Maybe they could issue you a voucher for future travel, or something like that. I would at least have your TA contact them and see if they can do anything for you.

Good luck! And again, I mean no disrespect.

Teach children that animals have feeings & should be treated with love and kindness.
Old October 8th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Admiral

Catnip could not have said it better. Please accept my deepest sympathies as well.
I think that any reasonable person could understand your situation, but according to the cruise contract (ticket) the cruise line is not obligated to refund anyone's money in your party. I do think it is admirable that they refunded your sister's money even though they were in no way required to do so.
My advice to you is to try to catch some flies with honey. I know its hard, because you're frustrated and likely very stressed after this traumatic event in your life, and the bottom line is you don't want to lose the investment you've made, due to to a situation completely beyond your control. So here's my recommendation (always remember free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it lol) I would email NCL CEO Colin Veitch - cveitch@ncl.com to calmly and rationally explain what events transpired and the fact that you would appreciate their assistance and understanding. I do not think it is reasonable to expect a full refund. However I would ask for a voucher equal to the value of the cruise you paid for and were not able to take. Do bear in mind that if the line does accomodate this request it would be an act of goodwill and they are in no way required to do so. I would avoid any sort of legal posturing at all cost. I would simply try to appeal to their sense of compassion and kindness. Also if you do wind up cruising at some point in the future, as soon as you put down your deposit go to insuremytrip.com and check out your insurance options. It would probably cost less than $200 to insure your $6000 trip and it offers more benefits than just trip cancellation.

I have had very good fortune when I have contacted Mr. Veitch's office and hope you do as well.
Old October 8th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
The whole experience has been surreal and horribly tragic
Indeed, it has to be!! And my sincere sympathies go out to your entire family!
You have received some very solid advice above.

You didn't get screwed by NCL. You sadly got screwed my the things we can't forsee happening in life. Unfortunately many people expect the cruise lines (because of their deeper pockets) to be responsible for events that happen in their lives. That's exactly what insurance is meant to cover.

Quote:
Neither of us had insurance because of ages in the 40's etc
Sadly, many people take this approach, and it's quite erroneuos. No matter what age you are, there's no way to know that nothing bad can happen either before, or during times you're planning to travel. Age has very little to do with it.
If you bought a new home, would you leave it uninsured because it's new rather than old?

In this case it seems NCL showed its understanding and compassion by refunding your sister's costs. And perhaps, if you appeal to that same sense of compassion they'll see fit to at least offer a credit on a future cruise.

Any legal action would only add to your frustration because NCL would certainly have no legal obligation to do anything.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 8th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I do really feel, and I do mean it from the heart, for you and your family for your personal and financial loss but the advice you have received is correct.

When you are hit with such a hard loss and then the loss of a vacation and the money you spent on top of it this really makes it worse. This is one of the major reasons you need insurance that covers the loss of any member of your travel party and the loss of a member of their immediate family.

Cruise lines, while they supply a wonderful vacation while on board ship, are large corporations and do often look out for their interests.

To others that are reading this thread make sure you check the fine print of all insurance that you buy to make sure that it will cover you in the event it will cover you in the event that a member of your party has to cancel for a covered expense. Most insurances do not cover a nephew or other non-immediate family member.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 8th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Admiral

I am just mirroring what others have said. We had a friend who's daughter committed suicide just a few weeks ago and I can only imagine the sadness your entire family is feeling. Antime any life is lost it is tragic for everyone, but when it is a very young person it is worse.

That being said, you do have to understand NCl went above what was even required of them by refunding your sister's money. Too many people have the attitude, insurance is for others, not me. No, NCL has absolutely no responsibility to refund any of your money. I know this is hard and you feel they should be more understanding, but this isn't the way it works. Can you imagine how many are affected by similar situations weekly? There was a time when cruise lines were a little more flexible, but in the past 4 or 5 years they have all taken a hard stand.

The only posibility for any type of compensation would be to contact Colin Veitch directly; perhaps, as has been suggested they will give you credit toward another cruise; if not full credit, a partial credit.

The best you can do is try, good luck and my sympathy goes out to your entire family, especially your sister. God bless,

Nita
Old October 8th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Beginner

Thanks to all of you who replied to my posting. I admit I am angry and probably somewhat irrational in my thinking. All of you have said very good things and I appreciate it.

I am going to take the route and ask for a voucher, My sister is also going to request that they take her full refund back and apply it to a cruise for all of us.

We will see what happens.

Thanks again.
Old October 8th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsinca
Thanks to all of you who replied to my posting. I admit I am angry and probably somewhat irrational in my thinking. All of you have said very good things and I appreciate it.

I am going to take the route and ask for a voucher, My sister is also going to request that they take her full refund back and apply it to a cruise for all of us.

We will see what happens.

Thanks again.
good luck to all of you. What your sister is willing to do might help convince NCL to come forward with, at least some help with your next cruise. May the days ahead be brighter for all of you. Keep us posted.

NMnita
Old October 9th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Passenger

Prayers are with you during a very sad time. While you should have had insurance, NCL can go above and beyond and do something to make good for a customer.
Old October 10th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve3
Prayers are with you during a very sad time. While you should have had insurance, NCL can go above and beyond and do something to make good for a customer.
Steve, it would be nice, but we don't live in that kind of a world; I don't know if we ever did. NCL did go above and beyond: they gave her sister back her money which wans't necessary. I am sure NCL feels they have to draw the line somehwere. I have no idea how often something like this happens but my guess is; probably on every sailing there are a few such stories. Let's hope NCl will help with another cruise. That would ease the pain I am sure.

NMnita
Old October 10th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Beginner

Here is the letter my sister composed to NCL.

October, 10, 2006

Mr. Colin Veitch
President and Chief Executive Officer of Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL)

Subject: Unable to Travel Due to Daughter’s Suicide on 7/6/06

Dear Mr. Veitch,

My 22 year old daughter committed suicide on July 6. 2006. This horrible and unexpected tragedy happened only 3 days from the date that my sister and myself, along with our families, were scheduled to leave on the 7 Night Alaska & Glacier Bay Norwegian Cruise, on the Norwegian Star. Our families had never gone on a cruise before and we were very excited and looking forward to this vacation for a long time. We did not purchase insurance because we are only in middle age and consider ourselves very healthy. If we could go back in time, and had just one more chance, we would most certainly purchase insurance but unfortunately nothing in the past, including my daughter’s death, can be undone. This tragedy has caused an enormous amount of pain and has devastated our entire family.

Norwegian Cruise Line has been very gracious to my husband and me by refunding the amount of $5716.00 from the total amount of $6554.24 that we paid for our cruise. However, my sister and her family were denied any refund or credit for their portion of the cruise. I would like to make a proposal that I think would benefit both Norwegian Cruise Line and my family. My husband and I would like to return the $5716.00 refund that we received in exchange for credit for both my family and my sister’s family to go on a future cruise. Norwegian would benefit by regaining the full amount of money that was originally paid by my family for the cruise and my family would benefit by having the opportunity, once again, of traveling on the Norwegian Cruise Line.

Please consider my proposal. Due to the circumstances, we have learned an important lesson about purchasing insurance. However, this lesson cost the life of my daughter. I know that we can not reverse time, however, I think that my family would benefit greatly by taking a cruise, like we had originally planned, sometime in the near future.

Sincerely,

Sister of Krsinca

P.S. Please visit the website that I created in memory of my daughter: www.allysuicide.com
Old October 10th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Admiral

I certainly think she has put this in the best words possible and I hope something positive comes from it. Please let us know. One thing to remember, it may take a few weeks or so to get a response, so tell her not to wxpect to hear immediately. Of course, hopefully she will get a very quick response.

again, God Bless your family.

Nita
Old October 10th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Very nicely done! I hope you and your very special family get to go on your cruise together. I cannot think of anyone who deserves it more.
One thing your sister might also mention in her letter is that even if you and your husband had purchased insurance, it most likely would not have covered cancellation due to your neices death. I think Mike or Kuki may have mentioned that in a previous post.
Take care and best wishes. I hope you prevail!!
Old October 10th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenie weenie
Very nicely done! I hope you and your very special family get to go on your cruise together. I cannot think of anyone who deserves it more.
One thing your sister might also mention in her letter is that even if you and your husband had purchased insurance, it most likely would not have covered cancellation due to your neices death. I think Mike or Kuki may have mentioned that in a previous post.
Take care and best wishes. I hope you prevail!!
Mike mentioned it and he may be right, but in this case it probably would have as one of the memebers cruising was affected directly. I am not certain about that. perhaps this is the reason NCl was willing to refund the one cost but not the other. They may have looked at what would have been covered had insurance been taken and decided to give a refund even though they did not have to. If this was there thinking I am not sure all the letters in the world will make a difference. Let's just hope.
Old October 12th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Passenger

True NCL doesn't have to do anything, but how much would positive word of mouth be worth? This isn't one of your typical gripes or sob stories.
Old October 16th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Passenger

If NCL had the least bit of humanity, they would have refunded the entire family their cruise fare. If you ran a company, wouldn't you refund the money? That is the right thing to do regardless of the rules.

Good luck getting it resolved!

-Matt
Old October 16th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunduo
If NCL had the least bit of humanity, they would have refunded the entire family their cruise fare. If you ran a company, wouldn't you refund the money? That is the right thing to do regardless of the rules.

Good luck getting it resolved!

-Matt
Matt, it would be wonderful if we lived in that kind of world, but no, a company would not refund the money. that is the reason for insurance. If every company did things like that there would never be a reason for insurance. When we moved to Albuquerque the entire moving van was stolen while parked over night. The driver took the cab and went to have a satillite dish put in: left the van behind. He went back the next morning and guess what? It was gone: if we had taken the additional insurance we would have gotten back full replacement value: we opts for standart: 43 years of marriage went up in smoke (not lieterally) but we got almost nothing back. Yes, it was enough to replace much of what was lost, but nowhere near the full amount. We never, for one minute, thought we should have gotten more; we could have kicked ourselves for not carrying the additionaly insurance. How often do you hear of a moving van being stolen? Not often. It never dawned on us something like that would happen.

I just hope NCL will give them credit or part credit toward another cruise. This would be a wonderful thing for the entire family. NMnita
Old October 17th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Passenger

When you think of it line wide, how many tragic stories equallying several million bucks would NCL get?
Old October 17th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Passenger

[/quote]it would be wonderful if we lived in that kind of world, but no, a company would not refund the money. that is the reason for insurance. If every company did things like that there would never be a reason for insurance. [/quote]

Nita, it's true we don't live in that kind of world but some companies would refund the money. Like a previous poster mentioned, a suicide would not be covered. I'm looking at a policy I have for an upcoming cruise. The company is Travel Protection Services, Inc. The policy states "coverage does not apply for loss caused by self-inflicted injury, suicide, war, illness....

The loss of property is one thing. The loss of a loved one, especially one so young, is different. It would take one manager at NCL to do the right thing. If they did refund the money, the family would probably become lifelong NCL cruisers...as would everyone they know. NCL couldn't ask for better word of mouth advertising. Now, this family will probably never sail NCL again feeling like they got ripped off.

How much money does NCL give to charity every year? I'm sure they do some type of United Way campaign or Breast Cancer campaign. Why can they give tens of thousands to some anonymous charity but they can't refund the money to a customer whose family lost a member to suicide?
Old October 17th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Admiral

it would be wonderful if we lived in that kind of world, but no, a company would not refund the money. that is the reason for insurance. If every company did things like that there would never be a reason for insurance. [/quote]

Nita, it's true we don't live in that kind of world but some companies would refund the money. Like a previous poster mentioned, a suicide would not be covered. I'm looking at a policy I have for an upcoming cruise. The company is Travel Protection Services, Inc. The policy states "coverage does not apply for loss caused by self-inflicted injury, suicide, war, illness....

The loss of property is one thing. The loss of a loved one, especially one so young, is different. It would take one manager at NCL to do the right thing. If they did refund the money, the family would probably become lifelong NCL cruisers...as would everyone they know. NCL couldn't ask for better word of mouth advertising. Now, this family will probably never sail NCL again feeling like they got ripped off.

How much money does NCL give to charity every year? I'm sure they do some type of United Way campaign or Breast Cancer campaign. Why can they give tens of thousands to some anonymous charity but they can't refund the money to a customer whose family lost a member to suicide?[/quote]I think you are missing what I am saying: would it be wonderful, of course and yes, loosing property isn't like loosing a loved one. I will tell you it is devestating to see 43 years of marriage memories and family heirlooms over 100 years old lost forever.

I would like to think NCL as well as other companies give to many charities. I am not sure travel insurance is the same as life insurance as far as covering death due to self infliction, but I can guarantee you they would have covered the loss to the family. Op neice wasn't sailing with them.

The only point I am trying to make is: nice, yes, great PR yes, but in reality offering a free or discounted cruise would probably be more what the line would do and would satisfy everyone. Maybe I am more of a realist than others. I wouldn't expect a total refund: I am not certain the OP does either. It sounds like she would be satisfied with a cruise and heaven knows it would be a wonderful way to escape for a week. NMnita
Old October 27th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Beginner

Thanks to all of you for your comments and recommendations. Expecially to the person who gave me the contact at NCL. NCL has come through for us!!!!!

After my sister sent her letter (shown in an above posting) she was notified that if she books another cruise comparable to the original booking, that our suite would be credited to us free of additional charges. We must book within one year of the original cruise.

Our family very grateful and excited about our upcoming vacation. Thanks again to all of you for your information, insights and condolences. The web is a wonderful thing!

Krsinca
Old October 27th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks to all of you for your comments and recommendations. Expecially to the person who gave me the contact at NCL. NCL has come through for us!!!!!

After my sister sent her letter (shown in an above posting) she was notified that if she books another cruise comparable to the original booking, that our suite would be credited to us free of additional charges. We must book within one year of the original cruise.

Our family very grateful and excited about our upcoming vacation. Thanks again to all of you for your information, insights and condolences. The web is a wonderful thing!

Krsinca
That is just too wonderful; have you decided where and when you are going? Kepp us all posted and thumbs up to NCL and those who did provide you with the right people to contact.

Nita : 8)
Old October 28th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Screwed by NCL

Quote:
My family, consiting of my sister, her husband, son and daughter and my family, husband, and two sons were scheduled to sail on NCL on July 9, 2006 to Alaska. On July 6, my sister's 22 year old daughter commited suicide. Needless to say, we were unable to sail. The whole experience has been surreal and horribly tragic. Neither of us had insurance because of ages in the 40's etc.... NCL refunded my sister her whole amount and and has withheld my $6K stating I should have had insurance. I can understand them stating we all should have had insurance, but by refunding my sister and not myself seems totally wrong. How could I have left in the midst of the tragedy and said see ya, sorry I'll miss the funeral. NCL sucks! : twisted: :evil:

what recourse do I have, short of an attorney?
Wonderful you got everything sorted out, I have always found NCL very fair especially in a case like this. My prayers go with you all, let us know about your cruise.
Old October 29th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Captain

Quote:

Krsinca
That is wonderful. Now can we change the title of the thread

Saved by NCL
or
Screwed by NCL, Not
Old October 31st, 2006, 09:56 AM
Admiral

I love a happy ending!!! I am so happy this worked out! Now don't forget to come back and give us a full report of the highlights of your family's cruising adventures. Take care and enjoy!
Old October 31st, 2006, 08:03 PM
Passenger

Customer relations has not responded to me!
Old November 1st, 2006, 07:56 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutdad
Customer relations has not responded to me!
What does this have to do with the OPs situration?

Old December 6th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Beginner

I would change the name of this posting, but I don't know how. It should be :Saved by NCL, not Screwed by NCL