Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 20th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to UknowULoveme
Default S.S United States

Back in April 2003 NCL announced thier aquisition of the S.S United States along with the S.S Independence...I have not heard anything about either ship since. Does anyone know when or what they are planning on refirbishment/redeployment? I want to sail on both of them eventually as unfortunatly I was born into the cookie cutter cruise era...
Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2006, 09:24 PM
First Mate

Me too. I hope that NCL will do something with both of these ships. However, if they could not salvage the Norway, I'm not sure if they will undertake a major restoration of the Big U.

Barb
Old November 5th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Beginner

HI,
i am not sure about ss United States. I belive the SS Indepence is being in a wet dock in San Francisco. last word i hear 2 years ago, that they were going to refirbish it and open as a musem. That ship has a lot of class.
Old November 22nd, 2006, 02:46 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via Yahoo to Hobbsey1957
Default Independance

She's been in moth balls since the end of American Hawaii. I see her sitting there nearly everyday when I ferry into San Francisco for work.

Back 3 years ago when NCL purchased her there was talk of reactivating and using her for American Flag service on the coast. I WISH.

There has been no progress (in the press) about her being made a hotel/restaurant.

Does anyone have an update?
Old November 29th, 2006, 12:42 PM
First Mate

If I am not mistaken, the SS United States is still sitting in the Deleware River. I pass it everytime I go to the airport in Pa. I wonder why they purchased these ships, and then just let them sit there.
Explorer of Sea 2003
Norwegian Dawn 2004,2005
Voyager of the Sea 05/05
Celebrity Zenith 1/23/06
Celebrity Century 11/13/06
Norwegian Dawn DD cruise 10/14/06
Celebrity Constellation TA 9/15/07
Norwegian Dawn 10/25-26 Nowhere
Old November 29th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Admiral

The Big U

In 2003, Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) purchased the ship with the intent of fully restoring it to a service role in their newly announced American-flagged Hawaiian passenger service. As of August 2004, NCL was conducting feasibility studies regarding a new build-out of the vessel. In May of 2006, Tan Sri Lim Kok Thay, chairman of Star Cruises (which owns NCL) said that the company’s next project is “the restoration of the . . . United States.?

SS Indpendence

American Classic Voyages, owner of the SS Indpendence, filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection and ceased all operations.

The SS Independence, which is the sister to the now lost SS Constitution, is now moored at Pier 70 complex in San Francisco after being purchased out of bankruptcy by the Norwegian Cruise Line. Plans to refurbish the vessel for coastwise trade seem to have fallen through, and work on the ship has all but ceased.

That is the latest that I have have seen.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old November 29th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via Yahoo to Hobbsey1957
Default Thanks Shark

I appreciate the updates on both ships. It does seem odd that Star would be interested in a reconstruction of the United States over the Independence which must be closer to modern standards for navigation electrical service and plumbing. Of course both ships will need complete redecoration.