Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 10th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Beginner

Default Bar set-up in your cabin?? (Dawn)

Hi all!
I am traveling on the Dawn 1/7/07 sailing. I thought I had heard some buzz here on the boards a few months ago regarding NCL being able to place a bar in your cabin as an amenity that could be purchased in advance. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I looked at the amenity pricing list and didn't see anything about it. I know that you can pre-purchase bottles of wine to be delivered to the cabin upon embarkation. I've sailed two other times wih NCL and it's my understanding that if you purchase liquor in the duty free shop onboard they hold it until disembarkation. I've considered smuggling booze aboard, but have always chickened out in the end.

I appreciate any insight on this topic! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Captain

Yes, you can do a bar set up. I have a bottle of Dewars waiting in my cabin on the Sun this Sunday. There is a separate phone number where you can call directly into an office that handles bar set ups. I cannot lay my hands on the number now but will try to find it for you. In the meantime just call NCL and tell them to transfer you to that dept. You will need to give them a credit card at the time of purchase. The liquor is obvioulsy more than you'd pay at home but substantially less than if you purchase it by the drink at the bar. It seems to me that a fifth of Dewars was about $40. There is a handling fee of about $3 so if you want more than one bottle do it all at once and pay only the one handling fee.

Happy sails!
Old November 10th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Captain

Okay, here's the number 866-625-1159.

And a correction to my first post is that the price was for a liter not a fifth.
Old November 13th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Beginner

Thanks very much for the number! I called it and someone is sending me a bar menu to pre-order. The two people I spoke to at this number took a while to find the information. They don't seem to be very organized in this area. I guess most people either smuggle their booze or buy drinks on the boat, eh?
Old November 13th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMOPO
Thanks very much for the number! I called it and someone is sending me a bar menu to pre-order. The two people I spoke to at this number took a while to find the information. They don't seem to be very organized in this area. I guess most people either smuggle their booze or buy drinks on the boat, eh?
It depends on who you talk to: some people are very up on the bar set up etc, others are living on Mars I think.
Old November 14th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Passenger

SHhhh. Stop telling every one about the bar set-up. If NCL thinks they might be losing a buck they might stop offering it. Ok , NOW , its just between US , right ?

Sail on
Old January 4th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreez
SHhhh. Stop telling every one about the bar set-up. If NCL thinks they might be losing a buck they might stop offering it.
Hmmm, at $40 to $50 a liter for liquor than can be purchased, duty free, for $10 to $15 a liter, I hardly think they are losing money. Especially when you consider the cost of sale for this bottle is minimal. There is a much higher cost associated with selling a bottle, one drink at a time, in the bars.

I'm certain it all evens out in the end.

Tim

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam
Old January 4th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreez
SHhhh. Stop telling every one about the bar set-up. If NCL thinks they might be losing a buck they might stop offering it.
Hmmm, at $40 to $50 a liter for liquor than can be purchased, duty free, for $10 to $15 a liter, I hardly think they are losing money. Especially when you consider the cost of sale for this bottle is minimal. There is a much higher cost associated with selling a bottle, one drink at a time, in the bars.

I'm certain it all evens out in the end.

Tim
Tim, of course they aren't loosing money, if they were we wouldn't be able to purchase the set up: still, if you think about the number of drinks you get out of a bottle compared to the cost at the bars, more than loosing money, we are getting a good deal. On our last cruise we were on HAL which charges less for bar set ups than NCL, we had a bottle of vodka and one of scotch plus several bottles of wine. They allow you to bring wine on board for consumtion in your cabin or if you take it to the dining room they charge the corkage fee: anyway, because of the supply we had plus cruising with friends that are not big drinkers we only purchased about 4 or 5 drinks the entire cruise. NMNita
Old January 4th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Nita,

I agree, it is a pretty good deal, even at the prices charged. I'm very aware of the policy on HAL. Thats one of the reasons we dig HAL so much. Great prices on bar setups, which also include mixers. On our last HAL cruise, the girl in the Neptune lounge even managed to get us some olives, a shaker and some martini glasses Now thats a bar set up!

I'm fairly confident the butler on NCL will be able to get us what we need, once amply tipped

Bottom line: if it aint makin' money, it aint bein' offered. Retail Sales and Marketing 101.

Tim

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam
Old January 4th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggy
Nita,

I agree, it is a pretty good deal, even at the prices charged. I'm very aware of the policy on HAL. Thats one of the reasons we dig HAL so much. Great prices on bar setups, which also include mixers. On our last HAL cruise, the girl in the Neptune lounge even managed to get us some olives, a shaker and some martini glasses Now thats a bar set up!

I'm fairly confident the butler on NCL will be able to get us what we need, once amply tipped

Bottom line: if it aint makin' money, it aint bein' offered. Retail Sales and Marketing 101.

Tim
Tim, we didn't get mixers and was I sorry. I am a drinker, but vodka striaght isn't my idea of a good drink; interesting about the Martini glasses, because we had brought so much wine on board, our cabin steward made certain we had wine glasses the very first night (without asking) yes, these are the little things HAL offers that other lines don't .

It would seem your butler, if worth his/her weight will be able to get you whatever you want.

NMNita
Old February 5th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Admiral

Speaking of mixers...
Are they available for purchase in the ship's store?
Margarita mix, orange juice, etc.?
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
Speaking of mixers...
Are they available for purchase in the ship's store?
Margarita mix, orange juice, etc.?
I don't think so. What we have starting doing is: ordering juice from room service for breakfast or getting a couple extra glasses from the buffet at breakfast. Then we can use them as mixers; grapefruit juice, cranberry or orange. Prune doesn't do too well with vodka, and not at all well with scotch.
Old February 6th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Familiar Face

the one thing ncl doesn't have is a mini bar in the room. It made it easier to keep t hings cold instead of constantly getting ice. I'm not complaining, i just thought that was odd since the other cruise lines we went on had mini bars. Quincy
rccl explorer 2007
Old February 6th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy
the one thing ncl doesn't have is a mini bar in the room. It made it easier to keep t hings cold instead of constantly getting ice. I'm not complaining, i just thought that was odd since the other cruise lines we went on had mini bars. Quincy
Quincy, many of the new ships do have refridgorators (spelling) I do know what you mean, we had trouble with the ice situation on HAL our last cruise: it melted so fast. It seemed like we were on the phone ordering ice every couple of hours.
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Familiar Face

I was on the spirit last june and they did not have a mini bar (refrig) in the room. Does the dawn have them? Like i said it's not a complaint because we loved the spirit. I have a funny story about Bermuda if you want to hear about it. let me know!! quincy
rccl explorer 2007
Old February 7th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy
I was on the spirit last june and they did not have a mini bar (refrig) in the room. Does the dawn have them? Like i said it's not a complaint because we loved the spirit. I have a funny story about Bermuda if you want to hear about it. let me know!! quincy
Oh I know you were not complaining: As for the Dawn, I haven't cruised her but my guess is: yes, the Sun has them as well as the Jewel. NMNita 8)
Old February 18th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Admiral

We have returned from our Carribean cruise on the NCL Pearl and will provide our experiences by topics before we give an overall review.

Oh, NCL definitely has a mini-bar in the room!
Stocked so full nothing else fits in the 'fridge.
WARNING, there is no price list included but everything is very expensive.
So, I pay 138 dollars for three bottles of booze that cost NCL 30 bucks total at the most. Ya'd think the mini bar was free, right?

Even folks that did not request a bar set up had a mini bar