Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 17th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Beginner

Default Friends of Dorothy Meetings

dose anyone know if there are Friends of Dorothy meetings on NCL ships
Im on the Sun out of New Orleans New Years Day any one else taking that cruise? let me know Pghbears@comcast.net
Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Admiral

Every NCL ship I have been on have FOD meetings. I think they have a couple per cruise. NMnita
Old November 17th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Hi Pghbear,

Welcome to Cruisemates!

I agree with NMNita, NCL is very good about holding FOD's meetings!

Be sure to post in the "G/L" board here: http://cruisemates.com/forum/viewfor...d3f4306d4fbfb5

Also, post in the “Meet Onboard� area here:

http://cruisemates.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=62

I hope you have a wonderful cruise and meet some new friends!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old November 19th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Beginner

I have what may seem like a vey stupid question. Where did "friends of Dorothy " come from? I know it is a way of letting G/L cruisers know where there will be a meeting place on board to meet some new people , but I dont understand where it comes from and my friends who are gay say they also have no idea. And yes, it is on NCL.
Old November 19th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella1963
I have what may seem like a vey stupid question. Where did "friends of Dorothy " come from? I know it is a way of letting G/L cruisers know where there will be a meeting place on board to meet some new people , but I dont understand where it comes from and my friends who are gay say they also have no idea. And yes, it is on NCL.
No idea, my guess is, like any other social club, a group of maybe, just a few got together years ago to share common interests and it grew from there. Of course one would imagine the founder was named Dorothy and it may have started as Lesbian social group only. :o
Old November 19th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I have what may seem like a vey stupid question. Where did "friends of Dorothy " come from?
In gay slang a Friend of Dorothy is a term for a gay man.

The term dates back to a time in the early 20th century when homosexuality was against the law in both the United Kingdom and in the United States. Saying at a social gathering that another man was a "friend of Dorothy" was a way of discussing sexual orientation without other people knowing what you were discussing.

The origin of the term is unknown and there are various theories. Most commonly it has been linked to the film The Wizard of Oz because Judy Garland, who starred as the main character Dorothy, is often noted as a major icon in the gay community. Another theory is that the Dorothy referred to is in fact Dorothy Parker who befriended many gay people.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old November 20th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
Quote:
I have what may seem like a vey stupid question. Where did "friends of Dorothy " come from?
In gay slang a Friend of Dorothy is a term for a gay man.

The term dates back to a time in the early 20th century when homosexuality was against the law in both the United Kingdom and in the United States. Saying at a social gathering that another man was a "friend of Dorothy" was a way of discussing sexual orientation without other people knowing what you were discussing.

The origin of the term is unknown and there are various theories. Most commonly it has been linked to the film The Wizard of Oz because Judy Garland, who starred as the main character Dorothy, is often noted as a major icon in the gay community. Another theory is that the Dorothy referred to is in fact Dorothy Parker who befriended many gay people.
thanks for the lesson. I know I am happy to have some answers or maybe some:looks like I was way off base huh? Oh well, it sounded good: FOD, named after the founder. Worked for me until you gave us a better explanation. Thanks again,

NMNIta
Old December 15th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Passenger

They usually have Friends of Dorothy meetings announced in the daily paper. If not ask the cruise director to set one up. By the way we are cruising on the Pearl on Jan 28 and would like to meet other "family" members.
Old December 20th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Familiar Face

We just got off the SUN on 12/17. An FOD get together was scheduled every evening for 7PM in the Champagne Bar. The bartender there is not very friendly or very good but he is that way with evreyone. He should be put somewhere behind the scenes.