Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Question, what to do in Bermuda with 9 hours?

We're sailing Spirit on May 19th out of New York and our first stop is in Bermuda at King's Wharf, from 8:00 to 5:00. At most ports, we either seek out a nice beach or do some shopping, depending on the port. We'll also be stopping in St Thomas and Tortola. Tortola is definately a beach day and St Thomas might be some shopping and some beach time. We've been to both of these ports several times and pretty much know our way around.

But, we're not really sure what to do in Bermuda. We're not real big on doing the ship's excursions (which there are none available on the NCL website) and aren't really into the touristy stuff. I'm thinking it might be a little cool for a beach day in Bermuda in May. So, I guess my question is, what's the shopping scene in Bermuda like? Prices? I've heard that Bermuda is expensive? Is there anything around the port, or should we plan to ferry over to Hamilton? Since we've never been to Bermuda, we're looking for some suggestions.

Thanks, Tim

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam
Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:57 AM
Passenger

The dock at that port is right across the street from a cute little bar/store called The Frog & Onion Pub. Decent little store with different kiosks, some local Bermuda items, the sherry pepper condiment line that is great and other cologne perfumes etc. that are made in Bermuda. The bar itself has a cute store, worth checking out and also has great beers on tap and a good place for lunch. The fort and maritime museum are there, didn't go in , no time, so can't say how it was. A few other shopping places around the other side of the museum also, just continue past the Pirate's Landing restaurant.
The ferry to Hamilton is the way to go, the bus will take too long since it winds all the way around and Kings wharf is the end of the line while Hamilton is in the middle. Remember the speed limit is quite low and it's a SLOW go on the roads. Ferry is quick, runs regularly and drops you right on Front Street in Hamilton. T'shirts, jewelry, sherry peppers, prices seemed no different than any other tourist city, in fact the jewelry prices were good from what the other travelers said! Have a rum swizzle anywhere on front street and I would call it a successful jaunt....if you take the ferry to St. Georges cautious on the timing, I have some recollection that the last ferry back from St. Georges is fairly early (2-3pm) We enjoyed the walk to the Unfinished church, a bit of a walk further on up that road to the beach but plenty of cute shops right where the ferry comes in. Leaving there and even taking a cab to Hamilton, which we did, leave extra time on the roads!
Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:34 PM
First Mate

Try to visit the quaint town of St. George. The shops are lovely, and there is so much to see there. Also, visit the Swizzle Inn, and the Crystal Caves. If the weather to too cool for swimming, walk along a beach, or sit & view the surf.

9 hours is not enough time to enjoy Bermuda.

We sailed on the Majesty, which docks in St. George for three days.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 01:49 PM
Passenger

You could take the ferry to St. George. Explore the shops and historical church there, and then take a carriage ride. Have the driver drop you off at Tobacco Bay for snorkling and take a cab abck to the ferry dock. King's Warf doesn't have much to do.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb Nahoumi
9 hours is not enough time to enjoy Bermuda.
I know, I totally agree. Its hardly worth the outrageous port fees charged by Bermuda. But, since we will be there, we want to make the most of the short time.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Tim

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam
Old January 10th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Passenger

Bermuda is FILLED with great things to do. Go to Gibb's Lighthouse (Southampton Parish); go to the Aquarium; visit a perfume factory; go to the botanical gardens; visit the world's smallest drawbridge.

Many folks do not realize how much there is to do that doesn't involve shopping or going to the beach.

Visit St. George's Parish and get your picture taken in the stocks!

Have a great lunch or tea in Hamilton............

I could go on and on - we just LOVE Bermuda and have been there numerous times. Enjoy your time there.
Old January 18th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Beginner

Just went to Bermuda in October. The weather was great, and the beaches were great. Can't wait to return to Bermuda but I don't have anyone to travel with. I went with my daughter the last time. Royal C told me I could not take the dolphin excursion so I took a ferry to the dockyard and swam with the dolphins at dolphin quest. Also, I left the ship at 8:00 pm one night by myself and shopped at the local stores and felt very safe. The prices were similar to my stores here in Philadelphia.
Old January 18th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Passenger

Default Horseshoe Bay in Bermuda

One of the nicest beaches I have been to was Horseshoe Bay Beach in Bermuda, excellent and so picturesque. Also Fort St. Catharine Beach and I think the other one was John Smith, all beautiful. Prices are high on things in Bermuda. Our ship docked in St. Georges and stores were right there. If you have never been, go to Cane Bay Beach in Tortola, have been there twice and was just there on Dec. 31st when we sailed on Holland America,s new Noordam ship out of New York. The ship was a beauty and you can,t beat HOlland America for food and entertainment and service. Have a great trip.