Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 30th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Blossom
Nita, put out an extra glass, I'll be right over.
I put the extra glass on the table but you didn't show up so I had to drink a couple of glasses for myself and then drink yours. After that I managed somehow to get dinner on the table.

NMNita
Old January 30th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Yeah, I stock up when in CA.

Here in WA I pay 32.95 for 1.75litre of Smirnoff compared to 15.95 for the same thing down there.

NW just loooooves to apply 'sin' taxes.
Old January 30th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Admiral

there seems to be a group of us who like to shop for booze bargain, love to cruise an have a good time. Maybe we should all sail together as a booze group. Now you have heard about what goes on with ships during spring break; can you imagine what a group of cruisemates partiers ranging in age from about 30 to 70 could do to the ship?
Old January 30th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Set up a destiller right next to the pool.
Old January 31st, 2007, 01:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
there seems to be a group of us who like to shop for booze bargain, love to cruise an have a good time. Maybe we should all sail together as a booze group. Now you have heard about what goes on with ships during spring break; can you imagine what a group of cruisemates partiers ranging in age from about 30 to 70 could do to the ship?
Count me in.

Tim

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:19 PM
Admiral

i think this would be the best cruise of all time plus, I love Tim's referance to a child's library card versus an adults credit card.

Nita
Old February 2nd, 2007, 04:27 PM
Passenger

AAAH! just the thread I was looking for.

Good to know that they are taking orders for bottles delievered to your rooms. Forget hundreds....this might save us thousands

Anyways, on the tabooed subject of sneaking in the alcohol....i know they say that it will be confiscated...but when you are checking in your luggage....do they screen each suitcase? If they do find it...do they return it at the end of the cruise?

I know they would do that for alcohol purchased on port stops.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 07:10 PM
Admiral

kktk,
I can vouch that just about everything mentioned in this thread is true.
It can be done, just keep at it.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 07:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kktk
AAAH! just the thread I was looking for.

Good to know that they are taking orders for bottles delievered to your rooms. Forget hundreds....this might save us thousands

Anyways, on the tabooed subject of sneaking in the alcohol....i know they say that it will be confiscated...but when you are checking in your luggage....do they screen each suitcase? If they do find it...do they return it at the end of the cruise?

I know they would do that for alcohol purchased on port stops.
Yes if they find it when the Xray the luggage they will keep it until the last night or the day of disembarkation. What they do, if the spot what appears to be booze is ask you to come to the naugahty room, open your luggage and display what they think is something other than your oversized bottle of shampoo. It is turns out to be a no no product, that is when they keep it til just prior to the end of the cruise. I always giggle to myself when the cruise lines, regardless of which ones convescate what you buy on shore next to the last day at sea. this happened to us on HAL and they returned it about noon the last day. What did they think we were going to do? Drink 4 bottles of booze in one night? Oh well, we can't do much about the ships policies. NMnita 8)
Old February 2nd, 2007, 07:37 PM
Captain

Nita, sorry for standing you up but it's a long drive from LA to NM.

As for the CM Booze Cruise - sign me up!

As for confiscated booze - on our last cruise we had two couples with us who both tried to bootleg booze. the cruise virgin put it in his carry on (even though we told him not to) and he got bushed at the baggage screening which is kinda' embarrassing, especially since it holds up the line and people are doing that big eye-rollin' thing like 'you idiot, don't you know to put it in a Listerine bottle in your luggage" . . . the other guy put it in his carry on and prior to supper they called his room and asked him to come to the Principal's Office, where they opened his luggage and gave him a receipt for his bottle. On the last morning you go to this broom closet sized office (along with 500 other naughty folks) to claim your hooch. This was awful since the closet was located near the area where people pile up with their refrigerator sized luggage to do self disembarking. They also confiscate irons. It was at least fun to watch while we waited to get off the ship.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Our boarding info advised that we should LOCK our luggage.
We will be bringing a six pack each of WATER (yes, really water).
Since it seems that NCL is more, shall we say, "attentive" to the contents of our luggage...will we be summoned to the naughty room for the water because it COULD contain booze? After all, the luggage will be locked as they recommend.

(NCL lurker: we have a bar set up and have no need to sneak.)
Old February 3rd, 2007, 09:46 AM
Captain

rinker, you might be summoned. One of our friends had ordered a bottle of liquor for their room but had brought a bottle of sugar-free sour mix. They got called down for a look-see. But they got to keep their bar mix. If it's in a six pack it may not look like liquor. But who knows, Eliott Ness is alive and well and head of security for NCL. Of course, NCL's new line is that screening for liquids is at the behest of Homeland Security, just as they screen on airlines. Pretty convenient, huh?
Old February 3rd, 2007, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Blossom
Nita, sorry for standing you up but it's a long drive from LA to NM.

As for the CM Booze Cruise - sign me up!

As for confiscated booze - on our last cruise we had two couples with us who both tried to bootleg booze. the cruise virgin put it in his carry on (even though we told him not to) and he got bushed at the baggage screening which is kinda' embarrassing, especially since it holds up the line and people are doing that big eye-rollin' thing like 'you idiot, don't you know to put it in a Listerine bottle in your luggage" . . . the other guy put it in his carry on and prior to supper they called his room and asked him to come to the Principal's Office, where they opened his luggage and gave him a receipt for his bottle. On the last morning you go to this broom closet sized office (along with 500 other naughty folks) to claim your hooch. This was awful since the closet was located near the area where people pile up with their refrigerator sized luggage to do self disembarking. They also confiscate irons. It was at least fun to watch while we waited to get off the ship.
DD and I bought our limit while in St Thomas last spring: yes, we gave it to the nice man for safe keeping until the end of the cruise. When we went down, that morning to claim it I could believe how much was sitting in that little tiny room. What caught our eyes were the number of wine boxes: Franzia, Almaden, peter Villa, and so on. NMNita
Old February 3rd, 2007, 12:02 PM
Captain

Yep, there were a lot of interesting containers in the room. I saw several people go to the door then turn away, saying they were too embarrassed, or it was to much trouble to claim their stuff. My guess it there is a fair amount of unclaimed booze after each cruise. Guess the staff has a nice party!
Old February 4th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Admiral

...or the cruise line puts the confiscated liquor in the bar gun for the next cruise.