Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Passenger

Default Jewel Deck 12 Aft - Great Outdoors Area ~ What is it?

I have checked the NCL website in the hopes of figuring out what the Great Outdoors Area stands for located on the 12th deck aft. However, a picture does not appear when clicking that area, as do other areas on that deck appear on their website.

I note, the Mama's Italian Kitchen is in front of that area, as well as the Garden Cafe. Can anyone clarify what that area is used for? For example, are there extra seats and table for people to eat, or is there some sport that is played in the area?

My curiosity stems from my cabin being directly below the area, and I am hoping that it is not too noisy of a suite.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Passenger

If it is the same as it is on the Pearl, and I have read it is, it is an outdoor eating area with a bar and buffet. There is lots of outdoor seating. It is also designed for people at the Garden Cafe to bring their food outside and eat.

From what I have read, cabins that have lots of chairs above it with high traffic tend to hear the chairs being moved about by people getting in and out of them.

Hopefully someone who has had a room below the great outdoors will reply to you. If you are a light sleeper it could be trouble.

19 cruises total on all different lines including RCCL, NCL, Celebrity, Princess, Holland America and Sea Dream. Our 20th Cruise is October 2007 on the Mariner of the Seas.
Old January 4th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Passenger

there is a bar and a small buffet line that usually opens mid afternoon. It is a good place to relax after a tour or just go have a drink and a snack. as one who was not pleased with NCL Jewel I did think it was a very nice place to spend some relaxing time.

enjoy!
Old January 5th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Passenger

Thanks guys I appreciate the heads up.

Willy, you indicated that the bar opens mid afternoon, any idea how late the bar hours are for that location. The reason is my suite is directly below that area and I am concerned about noise. I am hoping that it will not be an issue. I am an early riser, however I am normally in bed at a reasonable hour....Yeah I know even on vacation, ha, ha!
Old January 5th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Passenger

not really sure of the hours! we were on a transatlantic cruise and the bar was usually open when the weather was good ( which was most of the time) but my wife and I cannot remember if we went to the bar late or just during the daylight hours. the seating area was usued by those who went to the buffet and wanted dine outdoors so I am sure there was some evening traffic. that's the best I can do.
Old January 5th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Passenger

Willy,

What was it that you did not like about the Jewel? Was it the ship, service or Food? or all above?

Tom

19 cruises total on all different lines including RCCL, NCL, Celebrity, Princess, Holland America and Sea Dream. Our 20th Cruise is October 2007 on the Mariner of the Seas.
Old January 5th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Passenger

I actually liked the ship. I did think there were to many passengers for the size of the ship, sort of packing them in to raise the profit level. Great captain, friendly and outgoing. I thought the service was very spotty - great cabin attendants, indifferent wait staff and not enough wait staff, they seemed to be overworked more than the usual ( we had a waiter sit at a chair at our table in the Tsar's Palace and tell us how tired he was), I thought the quality and quantity of the food in the regular restaurants was very poor, I got the feeling they were trying to steer you more to the extra fee ala carte restaurants.

to sum it up the other couple we were with and us thought it was just a cruise, nothing remarkable, nothing to make it stand out from others, no outstanding meals - probably the most outstanding feature was the show that is a knock off of Cirque De soliel - they called it Cirque De Bijou and we all thought it may have been the best show we have seen on a cruise ship and we have 35 cruises between both couples.

There was nothing much to make us want to come back.
Old January 5th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Passenger

just one more thing.

We went to the same bars each night and we found it aggravating that we had to ask for a snack ( peanuts, etc.) when drinks are served. the drinks were not consistent in the bars, some were very good and others were very poor and the prices were different in each bar. as a whole I thought the drinks were weak for the prices charged ( again it was the nickel and diming of passengers that aggravated). charge me a few cents more and give me a quality drink and with a small snack. I do not mind paying for quality. having worked in the food and beverage industry I know how cheaply you can buy liquor and snacks when you buy them in the volumes that NCL does.
Old January 6th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to packercruising
Default On a mission

When is your cruise? We will be on the Jewel Feb 25. If it is after that I will make it my mission to find out how late it is open.
Old January 6th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Passenger

we are going on the Carnival Spirit in early Feb.
Old January 6th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Passenger

Packercruising,

We got you beat we leave sooner than you as in TOMORROW! Therefore, I will let you know. I take it you have a cabin under that area too?

Take care!
Old January 6th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Beginner

No we are on deck 10 aft but looking at the description it looks like a place I will spend some time.

Have a great trip!
Old January 17th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Passenger

Dear Packercruising,

Well, I am sad to say we have returned from our trip. However, the trip was very nice and would certainly do it again. The area on Deck 12 Aft is very nice, and the hours of operation vary day to day. But the guests can always choose to seat in that area. Furthermore, the area consisted of a bar portion and eatery/grill. The operating hours for those two portions of the area were in 2-4 hour increments and were never opened continuously throughout the day. As previously stated, I was concerned because are stateroom was directly below it. However, I am pleased to report the noise was very minimal. I believe I only heard chairs moving around once, and we were on the ship for 7 days, which is not too shabby.

Now with your pending vacation and mine but I memory it is my turn to be jealous of you.

I will be posting a full report once I have more time of the ship, excursions, staff etc... if you are interested.
Old January 17th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Admiral

Travelor, I am so glad you liked your cruise: it is beyond me what people are expecting sometimes. We have cruised 20 plus times, all mass marketed lines except Princess and I can't think of a much better experience than cruising the Jewel. I do agree, the food can be spotty; service questionable, we had the best service and the friendliest crew ever on both the Sun and Jewel. I guess Willy Paul just hit a bad week. Maybe it was close to vacation time for some of the crew. They do work very long hours and for long periods of time. From time to time we all get tired. I am surprised a crew member made such a comment. If the management had heard it, I think that would have been the end.

Like everything else, there is a cruise line for everyone. For some, NCL isn't it; for me, I certainly would take NCL over Carnival. The two worst service we have received were on RCI and Carnival. In all fairness our Carnival cruise was a 4 dayer and one of our RCI cruises was also a 4 dayer. Shorter cruises normally do not have the best staff. NMNita
Old January 18th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Beginner

Travelor look at the bright side- now you can start planning your next cruise!

I hear the ice cream machines are close by too. An added bonus.

Do you care to elaborate on some of the amenities of the ship? Now you speak from experience!

I'm glad you had a great time and thanks for reporting back!