Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 28th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Beginner

Default first time Hawaii cruise ncl wind going in March

Have read the commits here very scary. Does anyone out there have any Information on shore excursions? Like is it better to buy off the ship or buy the excursions on the ship from NCL. How many islands have snorkling excursions?
Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Admiral

Default Re: first time Hawaii cruise ncl wind going in March

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches
Have read the commits here very scary. Does anyone out there have any Information on shore excursions? Like is it better to buy off the ship or buy the excursions on the ship from NCL. How many islands have snorkling excursions?
Just my opinion, unless this is your first cruise or you are looking at very lengthy excursions it is always better to schedule tours, privately. You will save money and have smaller, more personalized groups. The best way to do this: go to ports a call on this or CC board and check to see who is doing what. Sometimes you can even get a group from the ship together. Of course the other option is to just wait til you get off the ship and set something up then. We have done it all ways. Again, if the tour is very long, to protect yourselves from being left behind it is better to use the cruiselines excursion desk. NMnita
Old January 29th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Passenger

Default shore excursions.

Wow Nmnita are you feeling OK, She is right on the money, and I mean money. Book your shore excursions where ever you can on your own. You will save a lot of money. You can go to ship reviews and then to readers reviews and learn a lot about getting your shore excursions through NCLA or on your own. I will let it speak for it's self. Michael 52142
Old January 29th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Admiral

Default Re: shore excursions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael52142
Wow Nmnita are you feeling OK, She is right on the money, and I mean money. Book your shore excursions where ever you can on your own. You will save a lot of money. You can go to ship reviews and then to readers reviews and learn a lot about getting your shore excursions through NCLA or on your own. I will let it speak for it's self. Michael 52142
Michael, I was trying to ignore your comments (not this one per say) but I did want you to know, if you have read what I have said on other boards and other forums you would know I am not alsays a supporter of any cruise line. I do not hide the fact I am a loyalist (NCL) because we happen to enjoy the freestyle concept, have always had good cruises and good service on the line. We like relaxed vacations and not a lot of formality. We also can accept the formality on some lines for the ship or itinerary. My gripe comes when I read, what I consider unjust cruiticisms (spelling) of anything in life. I also can not tolerate snobbery. No one is better than someone else just because of where the live, thier education or how much money they make. Some on these boards can't seem to understand that. BTW I am not referring to you when I make these statements.

I can guarantee you, as a TA I am very objective, try not to inject my own preferrances into decisions others make and listen to my clients. By asking questions and listening I normally can match the client with the right vacation. Have I made mistakes? Sure I have, but not too many.

Every line has a place on the seas, few lines appeal to only one type of cruiser and when I see anyone equate a cruise line with the class of individuals that travel on them I get furious. There are many millionaires, highle educated or just plain classy people who love NCL. There are others who have worked hard just to be able to vacation every few years who choose HAL because they are comfortable with the line.

Now, I will get off my high horse. BTW< I do not think NCL is without fault and certainly isn't for everyone. I have said that many times and will continue to say it.
Old January 29th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Passenger

On Kona, big island, you can take a local bus for $2, to a state park, where u can rent snorkel equip for $8. Good snorkeling here, many sea turtles and fish. Bus ride is 15 min from where the ship tender lets u off. The ship charges roughly $40 for this trip. In hilo, big island, we rented jeep, thru the ship, and went to volcano nat park by ourselves and to several other places. On maui and Kuwaii, we rented cars thru reps that where at the offload site. We went to grand canyon of hawaii and to the top of volcano haleeakula. Cars are cheaper if you get them thru the car company reps. Call ahead and make a reservation asking them how to do it from where the cruise ship will be. Find another couple on the ship to split the cost. Most people are loking to get around the high prices the cruise line charges.
Old January 30th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Passenger

Default Cruising is what you make of it.

First Great post paa5481 that is the kind of post that is very helpful.

Next, Sniff, Nmnita, please don’t ignore me. In short, all I am saying is that a buck is a buck weather you have a million or a thousand. You and I, both know that the kind of money that is spent on cruises is not pocket change. You should get your moneys worth, now if you are telling me that by spending less money on NCL is an excuse for bad service, and you know better then anyone that the service on the NCL American line at best, is almost non existent. Why should any one pay for that kind of abuse? Like the posting just before this, (rogmc’s posting re: Hawaii ) which recommends that one spend just a little more money and get a good value on RCL or Princess. Don’t stay mad at me, I don’t think you would really ever intentionally sell a bad cruise to anyone. To all who cruise, have a great time. Michael
Old January 30th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruising is what you make of it.

Quote:
First Great post paa5481 that is the kind of post that is very helpful.

Next, Sniff, Nmnita, please don’t ignore me. In short, all I am saying is that a buck is a buck weather you have a million or a thousand. You and I, both know that the kind of money that is spent on cruises is not pocket change. You should get your moneys worth, now if you are telling me that by spending less money on NCL is an excuse for bad service, and you know better then anyone that the service on the NCL American line at best, is almost non existent. Why should any one pay for that kind of abuse? Like the posting just before this, (rogmc’s posting re: Hawaii ) which recommends that one spend just a little more money and get a good value on RCL or Princess. Don’t stay mad at me, I don’t think you would really ever intentionally sell a bad cruise to anyone. To all who cruise, have a great time. Michael
Michael, I don't think anyone should sell a bad cruise and yes, there are many complaints about the NCLA product but there are also those who either have had a great time or can overlook the problems for the pleasure of seeing the islands. There are other lines that do the islands; they all start from here or acutally Mexico or someplace and sail to Hawaii. Most of the them are not only expensive but 10 days or longer which not everyone can either afford the cost or the time.

I have had friends, not clients who cruied POA and couldn't rave enough about their experience.

This isn't to say yours wasn't the worst, I certainly am not doubting what you are saying and would I recommend NCLA to just anyone? Absolutely not, but the entire situation with a ships or in this case, 3, that are American flagged is so different than cruising on ships with an international crew. This may not ever change, that is why compaines, in the past that have tried the American flagged only idea have always failed. Someone mentioned on another website the only answer might be to have a luxury catagory company take over the islands, offering a good product but of course at a very high price tag.

It bothers me when someone has a really bad experience or a less than satisfactory one they decide to blast an entire cruise line. I have sold enough cruises and cruised enough myself to know the very top of the line companies have ships that are not what most of us expect for our buck. If we are to let that stop us from cruising that line again, all companies would be out of business pretty darn fast. I am sure you have dined at restaurants with great reputations and had a bad experience. this isn't saying you should ever cruise NCL again, that is your decision, but I don't think I would let one bad apple ruin the barrel.
Old January 30th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Passenger

Default Nmnita thanks for getting back to me, er by the way,

"but I don't think I would let one bad apple ruin the barrel" Nmnita

My last name is Mackintosh. mtm
Old January 31st, 2007, 11:05 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Nmnita thanks for getting back to me, er by the way,

Quote:
"but I don't think I would let one bad apple ruin the barrel" Nmnita

My last name is Mackintosh. mtm
I hope you aren't that bad apple: talking about a pun, this is too funny!!!!! Nita
Old January 31st, 2007, 03:07 PM
Beginner

Default Thanks for the tips

Thanking you all. I think I should have never found this message board. The negativity has me quite worried. I will write about our cruise when we return. We would like to write positive things,hoping for the best.

Patches

May all cruises sail into the sunset, and to a great new day.
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:26 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Thanks for the tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches
Thanking you all. I think I should have never found this message board. The negativity has me quite worried. I will write about our cruise when we return. We would like to write positive things,hoping for the best.

Patches

May all cruises sail into the sunset, and to a great new day.
Patches what you get out of any experiece has a lot to do with attitude. Actually you have a head start: you have learned a lot from these boards. Many that go on cruises, especially the older ships or the bargain priced ones expect the Four Seasons not Holiday Inn. You have a fair warning, the ship isn't glitz and glamour, nor will the bells be winging. Going with this in mind you may have a much better time than you think you will. Yes, do get back to us. Happy cruisin 8)