Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Familiar Face

Default SURPRISED TO BE HAVING TO MAKE OUR OWN BAGGAGE TAGS!

Hello Fellow NCL Travelers!

We are bound for the Western Caribbean out of New Orleans in April on the Sun and we just got our cruise documents from our TA.

So, gone are the lovely, colorful little booklets from NCL with all of your cruise documents in them and the nice vinyl folder that keeps everything together for the cruise? Gone are brightly colored NCL-issued baggage tags with elastic bands?

APPARENTLY! Our cruise documents are a stack of 8 1/2 x 11" sheets just stapled together. And there is a SINGLE paper copy of one baggage tag included that we are now supposed to "copy, fold over multiple times and then staple" onto the handle of each piece of our luggage! I'm in shock.

Have I missed something?! When did cruise documents and baggage tags become "extras?"

We have cruised with NCL before and have been very impressed, so I was not prepared this time for such unprofessional cruise paperwork.

If it weren't SO tacky, it would actually be incredibly funny. We will have an Aft Penthouse Suite on this cruise and we have to create our own baggage tags for the trip like some kind of an "arts and crafts" project?!

So, color me disappointed. However, if I see that our costs are "down" on other things during our cruise, as a result of this "paperwork economizing" on NCL's part, then I'll be happy to take back my comments.
2003 Mississippi Queen
2004 HAL Westerdam
2005 Norwegian Jewel
2007 Norwegian Sun
2009 HAL Westerdam
2010 RCI Vision Of The Seas
2011 HAL Nieuw Amsterdam
2014 Norwegian Jewel
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Admiral

Hi luths2,

I've read about this before! It seems "ridiculous" to me, too. We're sailing on the Dream in March and our TA gave us the docs, luggage tags and all the rest of the things we needed.

Are you using a TA or did you book directly through NCL? That might make a difference.

I think if you booked through NCL you can call and get the docs sent to you. If you booked through a TA ask for them!

Quote:
If it weren't SO tacky, it would actually be incredibly funny.
You are so right

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Admiral

I just got my docs last week for our mid march cruise on the Sun. I am so sorry but its hard to muster a decent doc dance for that pitiful stack of 8.5 x 11 sheets plain white paper with black ink. It is simply blah. You are sooo right. Luckily I have a fax machine here so I don't have to leave and go out to the local copy shop to make copies of my luggage tags.

I think I liked Royal Carribean's docs the best they came in a nice spiral bound booklet and your luggage tags were already completed with everyone's names and cabin info on them, they were even self adhesive.

While I know that this will in no way detract from the cruising experience it is never the less....less.
Old February 20th, 2007, 09:54 AM
First Mate

We booked thru an internet site connected to a Vancouver B.C. travel agent. All our documents came in the plastic envelope and included the colour ticket book and booklets about the cruise and shore excursions. Lugggage tags were also included and they were pre-printed with our names and cabin number.
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Beginner

You can ask for paper documents and get the regular documents like you have always gotten, no matter how you book your cruise. What you got are e-documents (or copies of e-documents). I requested paper documents from our TA and got them. You can also call either your TA or NCL and request paper documents and you will get them (even if you already have e-documents). Hope this helps.
Old February 20th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Admiral

We booked through our TA but paid NCL directly.
NCL sent us the fancy/shmancy books and vinyl case.

We still had to actually fill out our own luggage tags which makes sense to me.
Old February 20th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Admiral

I think most lines have or are going to e docs: NCL, Princess are two that have already implemented e docs. We acutally got them when sailing Celebrity about 2 years ago and because of a discounted reate HAL send ours as E docs. We just waited til we got to the port to fill out luggage tags. The porters have them and it didn't take 2 minutes I don't think. We will get used to this soon I am sure. I remember when the airlines started this: everyone was in an uproar. Now, we wouldn't know what to do with the old style of tickets. Same with self check-in: at first I was beside myself, now I can't imagine going to the ticket counter, having the agent punch in all those numbers etc. Personally I love the new technology. It just gets a little getting used to.

Old February 20th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Familiar Face

Default APPARENTLY IT DEPENDS ON YOUR TRAVEL AGENT

Thanks so much for your posts and comments regarding cruise "e-documents." I finally got hold of NCL today (yesterday they were "off" for the holiday) and found out that basically whether or not you get the nifty little documents booklet & color-coded baggage tags depends on your travel agent. If he/she has "okayed" receiving "e-type documents," then that's what you will get. However, my agent did not think she had opted for that.

I know I still have to fill out my baggage tags once I get them, and even though it might take only a few minutes at the point of departure, it's still one more thing I prefer to do ahead of time.

NCL was very nice. They contacted my travel agent and are now sending the "normal" documents and tags.

Thanks again...
2003 Mississippi Queen
2004 HAL Westerdam
2005 Norwegian Jewel
2007 Norwegian Sun
2009 HAL Westerdam
2010 RCI Vision Of The Seas
2011 HAL Nieuw Amsterdam
2014 Norwegian Jewel