Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Passenger

Default Rosie/NCL bumps family!

Article in N Y Daily News; :evil: NOT GOOD NEWS
http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-420758c.html

For an additional 645. PER PERSON, the family can rebook the same cruise through Rosie! SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

Cunard Countess...9/80
NCL-Majesty...........7/06
NCL-Majesty...........1/07
NCL-Dawn..............9/09
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Admiral

How about a direct link to the story. I cannot find anything there.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old February 20th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Passenger

Cunard Countess...9/80
NCL-Majesty...........7/06
NCL-Majesty...........1/07
NCL-Dawn..............9/09
Old February 20th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Admiral

Ummmmm, maybe The Donald is right about her.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old February 20th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Admiral

O'Donnel is a talentless selfish boor.

At least she's ugly!
Old February 21st, 2007, 05:32 AM
Familiar Face

i think it's horrible what Rosie is doing. She could of booked anytime and not bump people off. I'm disappointed that ncl agreed to it. I guess money talks. I feel so bad for that family. Just think, it could happen to any of us cruising. Quincy
rccl explorer 2007
Old February 21st, 2007, 08:57 AM
Admiral

As much as I hate to admit it...

Its more NCL's fault than hers.

I imagine that there are at least a few reservations made on each cruise for the next year or so.

NCL should have denied her except for a completely unbooked cruise.

She's still an uncouth slob, though.
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:09 PM
Admiral

I think anyone in their right mind thinks this sucks, but one thing we all have to agree on, this is not just NCL. All lines do this from time to time with HAL probably being the worst. This doesn't make it right, but it is a fact. NMNita
Old February 21st, 2007, 01:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

I guess there is always a chance of this happening with any cruiseline. We were bumped from a HAL cruise 3 years ago because it had been chartered for a G&L cruise. We were offered the oppurtunity to keep the reservation, but decided to take the bump. We were offered a 35% discount on another HAL cruise, booked through the agent of our choice and a $200 per person onboard credit.

HAL may be guilty, but at least we were fairly compensated. Our dates were flexible and we weren't flying so there were no issues for us. We just went 2 weeks later. But, I can see how this could be a serious problem for some people.

As for NCL, the $100 credit per cabin is an insult. If that happened to me, I would never go back to NCL.

As for Rosie O, I dont dislike many people. But, she is one person I truely dislike. To think she was almost my neighbor. Good God!!!

Tim

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam
Old February 21st, 2007, 06:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggy
I guess there is always a chance of this happening with any cruiseline. We were bumped from a HAL cruise 3 years ago because it had been chartered for a G&L cruise. We were offered the oppurtunity to keep the reservation, but decided to take the bump. We were offered a 35% discount on another HAL cruise, booked through the agent of our choice and a $200 per person onboard credit.

HAL may be guilty, but at least we were fairly compensated. Our dates were flexible and we weren't flying so there were no issues for us. We just went 2 weeks later. But, I can see how this could be a serious problem for some people.

As for NCL, the $100 credit per cabin is an insult. If that happened to me, I would never go back to NCL.

As for Rosie O, I dont dislike many people. But, she is one person I truely dislike. To think she was almost my neighbor. Good God!!!

Tim
I can't imagine what anyone sees in her. I agree, not very many people do I truely dislike, but she is very close to the top. She's a slob, arragant (spelling) totally classless and thinks she can do anything she wants, when she wants. Of course she is the God Mother of the Pearl (I think it's the Pearl) even that makes me sick. I also agree with you about the $100 OBC. I would think anyone who was misplaced by Rosie would get a little better compensation than $100 OBC. Heck, 1/2 the time an OBC is a promotion. Maybe it is time for a passenger's bill of rights in some form. I know we can't totally control things like groups chartering cruise ships, but maybe it has to be done, at least 6 months prior to sailing and those being bumped should get a little more than $100. What would seem fair? Any ideas?
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:27 AM
First Mate

I said it before and I'll say it again. I doubt the the wisdom and common sence of any cruise line that would name Rosie as godmother to one of their ships.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cruise Guy
I said it before and I'll say it again. I doubt the the wisdom and common sence of any cruise line that would name Rosie as godmother to one of their ships.
We may not like her, but I am sure there are reasons this was done that we will never know. I thought the same thing when it happened. NMNita
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to nycruiser

I think we all need to regroup! It's not Rosie's fault! ITo much extent it's not NCL's fault! This is THE WAY the cruise and travel industry does its work. It's pretty crappy ain't it! And for years people would even blame their travel agents! I have been a TA for ten years. In the past I have had clients removed from deposited cruises beacuse an organization wether its be G&L, Nude Cruises, Sports themed cruises with a sports celeb on board or yes even the Donald because they chartered the ship. The last time this happened to me was when I had a group on the Carnival Legend on an 8 night Caribbean cruise from NYC. I had 7 rooms booked a year and a half in advance for a family then Mr. Trump decides to charter the ship. And guess who got yelled at (well screamed and my life was threatend by one of the family members)--me! Unfortunately when someone charters a ship on ANY line the cruise line bumps the deposited passengers. And when you go with a chartered cruise it almost always costs more. The only reason why this story got play was because Rosie is a part of it and currently she is on most people's "&%*^" list and it deals with a Gay and Lesbian issue. I beleive the story broke in the NY Daily News which is regarded as a conservative sensational paper and Rose is a known liberal and the gay and lesbian issue has always been a hot button with many conservates and no-conservaties.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycruiser
I think we all need to regroup! It's not Rosie's fault! ITo much extent it's not NCL's fault! This is THE WAY the cruise and travel industry does its work. It's pretty crappy ain't it! And for years people would even blame their travel agents! I have been a TA for ten years. In the past I have had clients removed from deposited cruises beacuse an organization wether its be G&L, Nude Cruises, Sports themed cruises with a sports celeb on board or yes even the Donald because they chartered the ship. The last time this happened to me was when I had a group on the Carnival Legend on an 8 night Caribbean cruise from NYC. I had 7 rooms booked a year and a half in advance for a family then Mr. Trump decides to charter the ship. And guess who got yelled at (well screamed and my life was threatend by one of the family members)--me! Unfortunately when someone charters a ship on ANY line the cruise line bumps the deposited passengers. And when you go with a chartered cruise it almost always costs more. The only reason why this story got play was because Rosie is a part of it and currently she is on most people's "&%*^" list and it deals with a Gay and Lesbian issue. I beleive the story broke in the NY Daily News which is regarded as a conservative sensational paper and Rose is a known liberal and the gay and lesbian issue has always been a hot button with many conservates and no-conservaties.
You are making a lot of sense here and yes, the Daily News is a conservative paper. I will say one thing which I disagree with you on: I am not sure the lesbian issue has all that much to do with what many of us think about her. It certainly doesn't have anything or much to do with what I think of her: I just plain think she is a slob and a real @##. She has no class, is tough looking and acting and makes me cringe every time I see her. NMNita
Old February 23rd, 2007, 01:02 PM
Admiral

I agree with NMNita.
But I just HAVE to add that it is obvious to a male heterosexual why Rosie HAS to be lesbian.

(Don't go PC on me...humor)
Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

I would hope the people here are all mature and are not picking on Rosie because she is a Lesbian. I ment I think The Daily news like the topic because its about Rosie and a Gay and lesbian issue. Which gay and lesbian issues are always labled liberal. Honestly years back i liked her show but she has shown her true colors and has become trashy for a lack of a better word. I am gay and as much as I think she is trashy this is one gay cruise I would consider doing since it is a family oriented cruie and open to everyone. I do think though it is a shame that such cruises have to exist. Why can't we all just put our differances aside and cruise together! I know that would open up a can of worms discussing that on this board but its just so silly we are in the year 2007 and can do all these fantastic things like send a person to the moon but many of u can't conqure our hate. I am off my soapbox now
Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:44 PM
Admiral

Hi nycruiser,

This really (I hope, no matter what's been posted) has nothing to do with G/L people. It has to do with someone taking over a whole ship when other's have been booked for a year or more.

Personally, I don't like Rosie because of things other than her sexual orientaiton. It's really none of my business what she does in her private life (or what she tell's us about it).

I know that I'd be upset if anyone "bumped" us from a cruise to take over the whole ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycruiser
Why can't we all just put our differances aside and cruise together! I am off my soapbox now
I'd be very happy to sail with you!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old February 24th, 2007, 03:42 AM
Admiral

should have nothing to do with whomever does the charter. It's an economic decision on the part of the cruise line to maxiumize revenue and they know it will inconvience passengers who have paid (or deposited) for their cruise. The only way to totally avoid this situation is for the group to charter a ship before the cruise line opens the ship for sale to the general public which is not realistic

Having been on a ship which was 1/2 a private group (smooth jazz fans with our own entertainment) and 1/2 general passengers who were not made aware of the large group(and how it would impact the facilities and dining times) and thus a certain amount of friction existed, I would opt for the cruise line making the decision to take the full charter and bump me.

The uproar is because of who it is (Rosie) and not for her group (IMHO), if the Pope was the one instead of Rosie, I bet there would still be an uproar from some segment because no one likes to have their plans disrupted. The exception for me of course would be if the Sports Illustrated swim suit photo shoot and the Victoria Secret models photo shoot charter the ship that I had placed a deposit on, I would DEMAND that Carnival honor my deposit and force them to accomodate me on that sailing (VBG)
Old February 24th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

I realize everyone here is not against it because its G&L which is nice I was just curios about the Daily News wanting to make it a story. Maybe they had an agenda in mind. Who knows. But bottom line it is lousy cruise lines can do this to people! But as I have found travel companies in general are ruthless.
Old February 24th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Admiral

Nmnita...when you mentioned that HAL seems to do the most bumping it caused me to think because my next 2 smooth jazz cruises are all full charters on HAL. I did a little research on the smooth jazz full charters that I know of and found the following full charters
-The Jazz Cruise-HAL Westerdam 11/11/2007-11/18/2007
-The Smooth Jazz Cruise-Westerdam 1/20/2008-1/27/2008
-Dave Koz and Friends -Westerdam 11/4/2007-11/11/2007
-North Sea Jazz Cruise-Rotterdam 7/5/2007-7/17/2007
-The Latin Music Cruise-Westerdam 1/27/2008-2/3/2008

Carnival has the following charters (not sure if they are full charters but I suspect they are)

-The Elvis Tribute -Celebration 8/30/2007-9/6/2007
-The All Star Jazz Cruise-Spirit 1/19/2008-1/27/2008
-Festival at Sea-Legend 8/12/2007-8/19/2007

Royal Carribean contribution (that I know of)
-Tom Joyner's Fantastic Voyage - Freedom of the Seas 5/20/2007-5/27th/2007

My point is this. Guest pay a hefty premium (45% or better) to the promoters who charter the ship and they are sell outs every year and have a higher % of repeat guest then the normal % on a non charter cruise. Groups such as Hogs on the High Seas (which my older brother is going on ) continue to do large group bookings and have become so popular they will probably be able to full charter a smaller ship very soon. Tom Joyner's group is in it's 8th year.

If I am the senior VP of sales for a cruise company, this is a no brainer, all fixed cost are covered, a very deep pocket guest who probably has not been exposed to cruising before is a guest on a full charter, loves it and will probably want to go on a "normal" cruise..Maybe Paul M can help me out here, but my experience on my smooth jazz charters is that the crew really enjoys the common theme (on my last smooth jazz cruise, we found out that our cabin attendent plays a mean jazz trumpet)

Whether you like Rosie or not, has nothing to do with it. She has opened the business opportunity for NCL to attract a highly desired travel segment that are very loyal to companies that treat them well. NCL for now has a major marketing edge and they will continue to make the business decisions that impact their bottom line.

Plus I am sure that when all cruise lines are approached about full charters with less then a year out, they run a business model that will identify excess capacity during any given week and projection of displaced revenue and what is needed to incentify the displaced customer to keep cruising on the same line. FYI to ONLY have to pay an additional $645 to stay on the week for Rosie's charter is a bargin. When I was on the split smooth jazz charter, the regular guest would have paid more then that just to be a part of the smooth jazz group nightly entertainment.

These are business decisions plain and simple. Nothing personal. I remember all the uproar when Carnival pulled 3 ships out of service to come to New Orleans. IMHO it was the right thing to do and displaced guest still found a way to cruise
Old February 24th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
Nmnita...when you mentioned that HAL seems to do the most bumping it caused me to think because my next 2 smooth jazz cruises are all full charters on HAL. I did a little research on the smooth jazz full charters that I know of and found the following full charters
-The Jazz Cruise-HAL Westerdam 11/11/2007-11/18/2007
-The Smooth Jazz Cruise-Westerdam 1/20/2008-1/27/2008
-Dave Koz and Friends -Westerdam 11/4/2007-11/11/2007
-North Sea Jazz Cruise-Rotterdam 7/5/2007-7/17/2007
-The Latin Music Cruise-Westerdam 1/27/2008-2/3/2008

Carnival has the following charters (not sure if they are full charters but I suspect they are)

-The Elvis Tribute -Celebration 8/30/2007-9/6/2007
-The All Star Jazz Cruise-Spirit 1/19/2008-1/27/2008
-Festival at Sea-Legend 8/12/2007-8/19/2007

Royal Carribean contribution (that I know of)
-Tom Joyner's Fantastic Voyage - Freedom of the Seas 5/20/2007-5/27th/2007

My point is this. Guest pay a hefty premium (45% or better) to the promoters who charter the ship and they are sell outs every year and have a higher % of repeat guest then the normal % on a non charter cruise. Groups such as Hogs on the High Seas (which my older brother is going on ) continue to do large group bookings and have become so popular they will probably be able to full charter a smaller ship very soon. Tom Joyner's group is in it's 8th year.

If I am the senior VP of sales for a cruise company, this is a no brainer, all fixed cost are covered, a very deep pocket guest who probably has not been exposed to cruising before is a guest on a full charter, loves it and will probably want to go on a "normal" cruise..Maybe Paul M can help me out here, but my experience on my smooth jazz charters is that the crew really enjoys the common theme (on my last smooth jazz cruise, we found out that our cabin attendent plays a mean jazz trumpet)

Whether you like Rosie or not, has nothing to do with it. She has opened the business opportunity for NCL to attract a highly desired travel segment that are very loyal to companies that treat them well. NCL for now has a major marketing edge and they will continue to make the business decisions that impact their bottom line.

Plus I am sure that when all cruise lines are approached about full charters with less then a year out, they run a business model that will identify excess capacity during any given week and projection of displaced revenue and what is needed to incentify the displaced customer to keep cruising on the same line. FYI to ONLY have to pay an additional $645 to stay on the week for Rosie's charter is a bargin. When I was on the split smooth jazz charter, the regular guest would have paid more then that just to be a part of the smooth jazz group nightly entertainment.

These are business decisions plain and simple. Nothing personal. I remember all the uproar when Carnival pulled 3 ships out of service to come to New Orleans. IMHO it was the right thing to do and displaced guest still found a way to cruise
Oh, I agree with you 100%. I still feel for those who get bumped. I think my point is, don't hold this against Rosie even if you don't like her and I don't; don't hold it against the cruise line either: business is business. I am the first to agree and often get my butt chewed out for what some think is a hard stand. NMNita
Old February 24th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Admiral

Please know that I don't dislike gays or lesbians.
Also know that I dislike Rosie.
Old February 25th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Dan, I like your "peace thru firepower" attachment to your name (VBG)..I'm thinking of one that would state:

"if everyone went crusing once a year, the world would be a less stressful place"
Old February 25th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Beginner

These passengers received a full refund, plus $100 on board credit for another NCL cruise. They have 5 months to book another cruise with NCL or switch cruise lines. While this may be a bad PR move, its a wonderful marketing decision by NCL. While I feel sorry for the passengers who were bumped, they have plenty of time to make other arrangements.
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

I don't know if that cruise sold out - Personally I can't stand Rosie, she use to be a decent person. Now she's just trash.

If this trip was "just made" recently, say within the last few weeks, and the cruise was not sold out, they should have taken those passengers who were getting bumped & move them to those rooms available.

As you can tell - and you haven't heard a thing from Rosie on this - she obviously doesn't care about the people or how long they have waited for this, the $$ involved for bumped passengers, etc.

I'm surprised none of them have created a lawsuit against her for "emotional distress".
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Admiral

Hmmmm
The bumped passengers can "book through Rosie for an ADDITIONAL 645.00"?

Looks like the skank is trying to pull a profit.
Or is this "surcharge" just for heteros?
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
Hmmmm
The bumped passengers can "book through Rosie for an ADDITIONAL 645.00"?

Looks like the skank is trying to pull a profit.
Or is this "surcharge" just for heteros?
Dan, as much as I dislike her and as unfair as I think this is, my understanding on these chartered cruises the extra charges go to provide top notch entertainment as well as other perks. At least that is how I have had it explained to me. Just thought I would throw that in. She still reminds me of trash....
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Admiral

I was only basing my comment on the fact that a bumped family can take the same cruise for more money.
Two thousand people x 645.00 = more than a miilion bucks... one helluva band!!!
Old February 27th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
I was only basing my comment on the fact that a bumped family can take the same cruise for more money.
Two thousand people x 645.00 = more than a miilion bucks... one helluva band!!!
Maybe they are going to bring Lawrence Welk back to life or Les Brown: that would certainly cost a buncle. I am not debating this nor do I think it is right, but the extra charges do cover things we do not normally get. I have some cliants that often do RSVP cruises: same situation: cost is way out of line in my opinion, but they say, what they get is worth the extra cost. Of course they can afford it as well. NMNita
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Well, in the unlikely event Rosie ever gets a hint of class, bumped families should be given the option to sail at the booked price.