Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:34 PM
Passenger

Default NCL whacks single cruisersfor double NCF or port charges

I am posting this everywhere I can think of.
I'm sure some of you will see this here and elsewhere too
and I apologize for that. I do believe this is something that needs to be given the widest possible exposure.

Here's the e-mail I sent to the revenue department at NCL:

Regarding our conversation today on my situation involving double NCF charges for a single occupancy cabin. I have 11 passengers sailing on the STAR from LA to Vancouver on May 1, 2007. I have 3 doubles, 1 quad and 1 single. The NCF charges are $120 for both the single and double cabins. It is hard enough to sell the single cabin at double the cruise fare, but doubling the NCF, makes it even more so.
The fact is I have 11 passengers sailing, we have 5 cabins booked, but we are paying NCF for 12. I feel this new policy is unfair and will affect my ability to sell NCL.
The bottom line is that I could transfer one passenger into the single cabin from the quad, resulting in a decrease of $128.90 on the quad cabin and an increase in $29.90 for the single cabin. This would result in a net fare reduction of $99. All I really want is the single cabin reduced by $60, resulting in that passenger only paying for a single NCF.
I have spoken at length with my partner advocates from RCCL, Celebrity and Carnival and they have no such policy in effect and have stated that there are no plans to even consider it. They were for the most part amazed that NCL had instituted such a policy.

Thank You for your attention to this matter.

I received a call from the person I spoke with yesterday. I was informed that management has refused to waive the extra charge for NCF. I was told that that is the policy and that was that. I guess the balls in my court once again.
As a side note the very sympathetic representative I spoke with is sending me 5 coupon books that will give free drinks and discounts on services offered on the ship. So my efforts were not totally without reward. The representative also stated that she thought the policy was not a good or fair one and stated that she has had other complaints. I would hope this new policy is brought to as many people's attention as possible and management might at some time reconsider this terrible decision.

Reggie
Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Default Re: NCL whacks single cruisersfor double NCF or port charges

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggierail
I am posting this everywhere I can think of.
I'm sure some of you will see this here and elsewhere too
and I apologize for that. I do believe this is something that needs to be given the widest possible exposure.

Here's the e-mail I sent to the revenue department at NCL:

Regarding our conversation today on my situation involving double NCF charges for a single occupancy cabin. I have 11 passengers sailing on the STAR from LA to Vancouver on May 1, 2007. I have 3 doubles, 1 quad and 1 single. The NCF charges are $120 for both the single and double cabins. It is hard enough to sell the single cabin at double the cruise fare, but doubling the NCF, makes it even more so.
The fact is I have 11 passengers sailing, we have 5 cabins booked, but we are paying NCF for 12. I feel this new policy is unfair and will affect my ability to sell NCL.
The bottom line is that I could transfer one passenger into the single cabin from the quad, resulting in a decrease of $128.90 on the quad cabin and an increase in $29.90 for the single cabin. This would result in a net fare reduction of $99. All I really want is the single cabin reduced by $60, resulting in that passenger only paying for a single NCF.
I have spoken at length with my partner advocates from RCCL, Celebrity and Carnival and they have no such policy in effect and have stated that there are no plans to even consider it. They were for the most part amazed that NCL had instituted such a policy.

Thank You for your attention to this matter.

I received a call from the person I spoke with yesterday. I was informed that management has refused to waive the extra charge for NCF. I was told that that is the policy and that was that. I guess the balls in my court once again.
As a side note the very sympathetic representative I spoke with is sending me 5 coupon books that will give free drinks and discounts on services offered on the ship. So my efforts were not totally without reward. The representative also stated that she thought the policy was not a good or fair one and stated that she has had other complaints. I would hope this new policy is brought to as many people's attention as possible and management might at some time reconsider this terrible decision.

Reggie
Boy are you going to bring the anit NCLers out of the woodwork.

As everyone knows I am a true NCL loyalists and find this policy totally wrong. Yes, we have learned Princess is doing the same thing but that doesn't make it right. I certainly hope the other lines do not follow suit. The single traveler is getting screwed as it is. NMNnita
Old March 4th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Passenger

I travel single alot hate to have to pay the surcharges.....would the lines like the empty cabin or the revenue that one person will spend onboard..drinks, tours, shops..the tips for the staff. (I aways give the cabin steward a bit extra..) 8) )

I can understand the taxes or fees that are based on the number of berths full or not but why charge extra just cause someone is alone. I book maytimes last minute ( a month or so out) by that time the lines knows that cabin maybe empty other wise. For ecomonic issues (hehe) I must take an inside or the most resonable outside..yes I would prefer a balcony but alas.....

I saw the orgional post on another board...hope someone the board watchers for the cruise lines see this also.
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Admiral

Having just cruised with NCL I am not surprised by anything they do to create revenue.
We will avoid that line with a passion.

They are a "budget" cruise line in my opinion.
Old March 26th, 2007, 02:56 AM
Passenger

Oh you aren't the only one who is upset!!! I had my first a bad cruise with these folks a couple of years ago, and never thought I would use them again. However, with the old Crown doing the 13 day reposition cruise from S. America to Miami for the price of a normal 7 day Caribbean... I just couldn't resist.

I didn't mind the 150% of rate, since I couldn't find anyone to go with me, however I don't think I should have to pay double taxes! If they have 2 people in a room that sleeps 3 or 4 the don't charge for the empty beds, so why should they charge me?

I'm mad enough to start thinking Class Action suit.

Good news is, I'm going to enjoy this cruise if it kills me. I'm going in expecting the worse and hoping for better.
Old March 26th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinpow
Oh you aren't the only one who is upset!!! I had my first a bad cruise with these folks a couple of years ago, and never thought I would use them again. However, with the old Crown doing the 13 day reposition cruise from S. America to Miami for the price of a normal 7 day Caribbean... I just couldn't resist.

I didn't mind the 150% of rate, since I couldn't find anyone to go with me, however I don't think I should have to pay double taxes! If they have 2 people in a room that sleeps 3 or 4 the don't charge for the empty beds, so why should they charge me?

I'm mad enough to start thinking Class Action suit.

Good news is, I'm going to enjoy this cruise if it kills me. I'm going in expecting the worse and hoping for better.
At least you are going with the intention of enjoying yourself, that is a good sign. The double port charges apparently is not unusual but I too think it sucks. The 150% because you are a solo cruiser is a good price believe it or not. Many of the lines are charging double and sometimes NCL does as well. NMNita